• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    This post completely replaces the original text here (so responses below may seem out of context). But:

For those who will be getting their MD Wear & Carry permits and don't already have an HQL, the normal HQL portal application form provides a way to indicate your W&C permit number to avoid the fee and related process.

It seems that the key here is having the patience to wait for that permit before getting the freebie HQL. There probably aren't a lot of new permit holders who don't already have a pistol of some sort, so this may be an uncommon need. Some of us have pistols that pre-date the HQL requirement, and will be looking for that HQL so they can add to their collection, especially with contemporary carry guns in mind. Things on that front have changed a lot in the last few years.

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IIRC and my memory is slowing fading during
    The HQL app process there is a field for your W&C permit number. You then have the HQL sent to you

To show you how long it’s been my HQL number is 353 and was issued in 2013

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You use your W&C Permit # to bypass the fees/prints on the HQL Portal. Unless the approved disposition on the W&C application gives the Permit #, you need to have your permit in hand before applying for the HQL.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    The HQL app process there is a field for your W&C permit number. You then have the HQL sent to you

You're like a living history exhibit! Mine, from 2016, is in the 16,000-range.

You use your W&C Permit # to bypass the fees/prints on the HQL Portal. Unless the approved disposition on the W&C application gives the Permit #, you need to have your permit in hand before applying for the HQL.
    Thanks! Figured it was something like that. I couldn't check it out because when I hit that portal, it already knows me and knows I have one, and I didn't want to rock the boat by changing identity. The missus will just wait 'til she's got her permit in hand, and we'll tackle HQL then. Have a few pieces we'll be transferring to her, along with inevitable new purchases along the way.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    You're like a living history exhibit! Mine, from 2016, is in the 16,000-range.

Thanks! Figured it was something like that. I couldn't check it out because when I hit that portal, it already knows me and knows I have one, and I didn't want to rock the boat by changing identity. The missus will just wait 'til she's got her permit in hand, and we'll tackle HQL then. Have a few pieces we'll be transferring to her, along with inevitable new purchases along the way.

That is north of $1.2 million. Nice scam the state has holding our rights hostage.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie

310 for me. Hard to believe it's been 9 years since they came up with that garbage.

kennyd

The "HOOK" guy
    Jul 28, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    This post completely replaces the original text here (so responses below may seem out of context). But:

For those who will be getting their MD Wear & Carry permits and don't already have an HQL, the normal HQL portal application form provides a way to indicate your W&C permit number to avoid the fee and related process.

It seems that the key here is having the patience to wait for that permit before getting the freebie HQL. There probably aren't a lot of new permit holders who don't already have a pistol of some sort, so this may be an uncommon need. Some of us have pistols that pre-date the HQL requirement, and will be looking for that HQL so they can add to their collection, especially with contemporary carry guns in mind. Things on that front have changed a lot in the last few years.
    This was me, about 20 months ago.

I had no HQL, refused to get one...after all the crap in 2013.
    I obtained my W&C when they opened up/removed the business restrictions, called the MSP office in Pikeville, and a very nice woman walked me right through the process online and I had my "free" HQL a week or two later-then bough my P365 the next day.

Calling was the trick, I could not figure out how to do it online myself.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Most pre- existing gun enthusiasts , with interest in W&C , probably already have handgun(s) .

But we're a small slice of the larger population . Plenty of current non- owners now have interest in purchasing because Carry is now actually within their reach .

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Most pre- existing gun enthusiasts , with interest in W&C , probably already have handgun(s) .

But we're a small slice of the larger population . Plenty of current non- owners now have interest in purchasing because Carry is now actually within their reach .
    Exactly, handguns from pre 2013 but never wanted to do HQL overreach...now that W&C is opened up, will consider getting it and then can use that to get the HQL issued.

This thread was timely as I'm going for the first part of my training this Saturday and evidently one of the trainers was under the impression that you could not do the live fire portion of the W&C course without an existing HQL o_O

I knew that not to be the case, but this post was well timed with the right information

This thread has me remembering back to the day we sat in the Senate Chambers and listened to the head of the MSP, I believe it was, give his sworn testimony that a live fire requirement was not needed and would not be included in the HQL process...

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Holy hell trying to figure out the HQL page is crazy.

Compared to the wear and carry portal the HQL is ********.

I have not found how to avoid the fee as of yet.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.

Mine is #92

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Got you all beat. My HQL number is 51. We are coming up for renewal. Lord how time doth fly.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Exactly, handguns from pre 2013 but never wanted to do HQL overreach...now that W&C is opened up, will consider getting it and then can use that to get the HQL issued.

This thread was timely as I'm going for the first part of my training this Saturday and evidently one of the trainers was under the impression that you could not do the live fire portion of the W&C course without an existing HQL o_O

I knew that not to be the case, but this post was well timed with the right information

This thread has me remembering back to the day we sat in the Senate Chambers and listened to the head of the MSP, I believe it was, give his sworn testimony that a live fire requirement was not needed and would not be included in the HQL process...
    I’m one of those pre 2013 folks that bought a lot of handguns without having to do a HQL just the NICs check at the FFL. So my question is do I have to list those now for a HQL or all the ones I plan on buying moving forward?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I’m one of those pre 2013 folks that bought a lot of handguns without having to do a HQL just the NICs check at the FFL. So my question is do I have to list those now for a HQL or all the ones I plan on buying moving forward?
    If you are getting a W&C permit, just (once you have it) hit the HQL portal and request a free to you HQL. No purchase you previously made will come into play at all.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you are getting a W&C permit, just (once you have it) hit the HQL portal and request a free to you HQL. No purchase you previously made will come into play at all.
    Just to cover all the bases :

If you are Not getting W&C
    If you are not otherwise training exempt ( Military service , Hunter Safety , Instructor , etc)

IF you plan to use the s/n of already owned Regulated Firearm , you need only list one .

n3cal

Aug 10, 2009
    St. Mary's County
    I just did this morning, at 9 am.

Received HQL at 3:40 pm
    I just received my HGP on Friday (9/2) and submitted HQL on Sat (9/3). HQL was approved same day HGP-2022-024xxx. I just found it odd when you click on the HQL link you are taken to a different MSP website and have to create another user account for it!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I just received my HGP on Friday (9/2) and submitted HQL on Sat (9/3). HQL was approved same day HGP-2022-024xxx. I just found it odd when you click on the HQL link you are taken to a different MSP website and have to create another user account for it!
    HQL was online from the beginning and made specifically for HQL, the HGP site was created 7 years later, and is a completely different group in MSP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom