• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    Is it necessary to input any training info if you're doing training exempt? For instance, do you have to input the number for the online training that was part of the old system? I was expecting to have to input that at some point, but there wasn't anywhere to do it. I ended up filling out a training exempt application without submitting anything in the education section. Does that sound right?

I'm worried there will be a hangup with my application. Thanks.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Is it necessary to input any training info if you're doing training exempt? For instance, do you have to input the number for the online training that was part of the old system? I was expecting to have to input that at some point, but there wasn't anywhere to do it. I ended up filling out a training exempt application without submitting anything in the education section. Does that sound right?

I'm worried there will be a hangup with my application. Thanks.

As long as you entered info about a prior regulated purchase, you are good to go.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you training exempt, you are exempt from showing you have training. So there is no place to put any training information in, as it is not needed.

The old online training means absolutely nothing now. Save the card as a memento.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    If you training exempt, you are exempt from showing you have training. So there is no place to put any training information in, as it is not needed.

The old online training means absolutely nothing now. Save the card as a memento.
    Well you still need to prove why you are training exempt. In my case, provide a serial # and manufacturer info of a handgun I already own.

Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    So I got fingerprinted (and background checked - what's that all about??) yesterday and the lady said I need to input the "Tracking Number" into the MSP application site when it asks for a PCN Number. The PCN number on my form, she said, is an internal agency number that the MSP doesn't need. Has anyone run into this?
    My Tracking number is 12 numbers, my PCN number is "YD" followed by ten numbers.
    Also, seriously, why did they do (and I paid for) a background check? Does that mean next time I buy a handgun the MSP won't do one? Seems weird.
    Thanks in advance!

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    So I got fingerprinted (and background checked - what's that all about??) yesterday and the lady said I need to input the "Tracking Number" into the MSP application site when it asks for a PCN Number. The PCN number on my form, she said, is an internal agency number that the MSP doesn't need. Has anyone run into this?
    My Tracking number is 12 numbers, my PCN number is "YD" followed by ten numbers.
    Also, seriously, why did they do (and I paid for) a background check? Does that mean next time I buy a handgun the MSP won't do one? Seems weird.
    Thanks in advance!

I put in the number with the letters in it.
    As for not needing a future background check.:lol2::lol2: you'll still have it done on your next purchase.
    My first purchase after the HQL, the paperwork came back in 2 days, of course I still had to wait the required 7 days.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Well you still need to prove why you are training exempt. In my case, provide a serial # and manufacturer info of a handgun I already own.

Yes, but the point I was answering is the person was training exempt, then could not find a place to put in training info.

rnfeliciano

Snoopyboy
    Feb 2, 2013
    hello. My wife applied for her HQL on 12/17. The fingerprints were scanned and she entered the number. It currently says "unverified". She contacted MSP and they said that they have 30 days to complete it and the current wait time is 1-2 weeks. Has anyone run into this? This seems like the background check snafu all over again. I seem to remember that SB281 did not mention a maximum time period, so where did they come up with the 30 day period?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    yeah, Im disappointed that mine seems to be taking longer than everyone else's as well. 10th day now and still only waiting on livescan. So much for the "live" part...

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    yeah, Im disappointed that mine seems to be taking longer than everyone else's as well. 10th day now and still only waiting on livescan. So much for the "live" part...

Give them a call, I had to call after mine was stalled for about 2 weeks, after the call mine went from 1 check being complete to active in less than an hour.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Give them a call, I had to call after mine was stalled for about 2 weeks, after the call mine went from 1 check being complete to active in less than an hour.

They called ME. I called the finger printer who then verified that everything went through. I then called msp back and they asked me to email a copy of my receipt with the tracking number which I did. I suppose I'll call back tomorrow to see what the problem is.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    They called ME. I called the finger printer who then verified that everything went through. I then called msp back and they asked me to email a copy of my receipt with the tracking number which I did. I suppose I'll call back tomorrow to see what the problem is.

Good luck, hope it works out for you quickly.:thumbsup:

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland

My guess is they will be closed tomorrow. I think it is a "furlough" day.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    My guess is they will be closed tomorrow. I think it is a "furlough" day.

yup, they were closed. But I still got a visit from my ASED trooper at work :lol:

On a positive note, I called MSP back today and just like Hambone said, one call and I was active within seconds. :party29:

Apparently the finger printer did something wrong but wouldn't admit it to me(or just didn't realize). They approved it based on CJIS and said they would "have a talk" with the company that did my fingerprints.

In case people are still tracking this im almost to the mid 4,000s

hlpdobro

Sep 23, 2006
    Frederick Co MD
    I just went "active" after 8 days (incl Christmas & weekend). Livescan seemed to take forever. I did drop MSP an email inquiry. Their response was polite and advised that there was nothing to be concerned about.

License in the #4300 range.

h

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom