• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • B1web

Cogito Ergo Sum! (cogito)
    Jan 11, 2008
    So.... fingerprinted and applied on 9/29. Everything BUT NICS and Training completed 9/30.

Seems that with most folks it is immediate or several weeks. Anyone else had this issue? I am training exempt for NRA instructor cert. I already obtained the QHIC.

I'm sure I am being impatient but this is indeed a PITA.

Thanx,
    B1web

Attachments

• MSP HQL.jpg
      MSP HQL.jpg
      28.8 KB · Views: 233

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    For those who called in to light the fire under their asses, where do we find the number? From what I can see on the site, it's not listed there.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    By law, MSP has 30 days to send you your HQL. Anything less than 30 days, you've got no beef other than MSP's slowness, which you can't do much about, especially legally..

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    By law, MSP has 30 days to send you your HQL. Anything less than 30 days, you've got no beef other than MSP's slowness, which you can't do much about, especially legally..
    I'm aware of that, however, the fact that I already spent $100+ to get a freaking license to exercise an enumerated Constitutional right, makes any wait - especially for things that are supposed to be instant and that I've already received a snail-mail response from (CJIS) - makes any additional wait time just a little bit irritating. Legally I can't do much, but I can call and complain, which I have a right to do - my taxes fund everything about the MSP.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I applied for the HQL and the HQIL on the same day about two weeks ago. My HQIL was approved the SAME DAY i submitted the application. My HQL is still pending... Yea...

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I started the application on 9/22, got fingerprinted on the 9/23 and finished the application that night. Everything but the NICS was completed on 9/24, the NICS check is still incomplete. The MSP can't do a run NICS check in 7 days, when it only takes a dealer 5 minutes? I guess they are back to 2013 processing speed again. Does anybody know what number to call or who to ask for at the MSP licensing division?

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Me- Printed & Applied 9/9; Checklist completed except LiveScan (Unchecked) and CJIS (Incomplete) 9/10; Still waiting (no change on checklist).

The wife - Printed 9/9; Applied 9/12; Checklist completed 9/13 except DHMH; DHMH completed and active 9/15; HQL in hand.

bigcityjake

Sep 16, 2014
    For those who called in to light the fire under their asses, where do we find the number? From what I can see on the site, it's not listed there.

I am one of the people who called. I explained to the guy that answered that I know they have 30 days, but I also know that my turnaround time was delayed. He wasn't mean or anything about me calling, found the problem and fixed it.

Contact info from MSP's Site

"Any questions or concerns relating to this program, please contact the Handgun Qualification License Unit at 410-653-4577 or by e-mail: MSP.HQL@maryland.gov"

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I started mine on 9.4. I have a MD wear and carry renewed in July and am a QHIL but someone with a name similar to me has been bad boy and got a couple felonies since july and it took them almost 30 to sort it out. They were very nice when I called and was told of the problem. Was approved the next day.

Marc1Soto

Aug 11, 2013
    So I was told that if MSP cashes your check that's is a good sign and you only play the waiting game. Is this true?

One more question: Are re newels also 3-6 process?

Thanks.

Feb 28, 2013
    So I was told that if MSP cashes your check that's is a good sign and you only play the waiting game. Is this true?

One more question: Are re newels also 3-6 process?

Thanks.

Just because they cashed your check isn't a given that you're approved. That is just the fee for the privilege of the MSP running the background check.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm aware of that, however, the fact that I already spent $100+ to get a freaking license to exercise an enumerated Constitutional right, makes any wait - especially for things that are supposed to be instant and that I've already received a snail-mail response from (CJIS) - makes any additional wait time just a little bit irritating. Legally I can't do much, but I can call and complain, which I have a right to do - my taxes fund everything about the MSP.

Where did you get that?????

By LAW, they have 30 days to complete the process. Nowhere does it say it is "instant."

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I started the application on 9/22, got fingerprinted on the 9/23 and finished the application that night. Everything but the NICS was completed on 9/24, the NICS check is still incomplete. The MSP can't do a run NICS check in 7 days, when it only takes a dealer 5 minutes? I guess they are back to 2013 processing speed again. Does anybody know what number to call or who to ask for at the MSP licensing division?

Mine went from pending on Friday to approved yesterday, 9 business days and $100 for application and live scan, now just waiting on the HQL in the mail. It sucks that we have to go through this BS now and then go through the same checks every time we want to buy a handgun and still wait 8 days to receive it.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm at 10 business days with still no change from date of initial application - everything was completed on mine on the 24th except for the Department of Mental Health and Hygiene, which was completed on the 25th. I'm still waiting on:

NICS - again, this is instant, so why is it blank two weeks later?
    CJIS - I got my notification in the mail, so what's the holdup on their end?

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Great experience at Worth a Shot Today

Just applied for the unconstitutional and ridiculous MD HQL today (sounds of teeth gnashing and muttering obscenities under breath).

Went to Worth a Shot, and had a terrific experience! Donna was really nice, knowledgeable, supportive, and helped me complete the process in about 15 minutes, including Livescan prints and online app to MSP. I was a little disappointed that my NRA Pistol Instructor cert wasn't recognized by MSP, but since I had purchased a handgun within the past 3 years, and had that receipt with me, I was good to go.

This was my first visit to their shop, and even though the showroom is a bit small, they have LOTS of cool stuff to ogle and fondle. Definitely have to go back sometime when I have more time (and fundage) to browse.

Thanks, folks, for the terrific service!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom