• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    "Within 3 years prior to the submission of an HQL application, an applicant must demonstrate a satisfactory completion of a Firearms Safety Training Course."

I took the safety class 10 years ago and have the card which I've used for purchasing a handgun recently. If I want to purchase a handgun after 10/1 will I need to take the classroom portion of the new HQL? If so would it be advantageous to take the old Safety Course now which I believe can be done online?

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    The old "Firearms Safety Training Course Certificate of Completion" will no longer be issued after October 1, and certificates previously issued will no longer be useful for any purpose in Maryland. (It is possible that some other states may still accept them as satisfying, in whole or in part, training requirements for certain permits.) If a person "lawfully owns a regulated firearm" as of October 1, 2013, then he or she is not required to fulfill the new training requirement in order to obtain the new Handgun Qualification License, but merely possessing the old "Training Course Certificate of Completion" does not demonstate ownership of a regulated firearm.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    For people who are looking to complete the training for the HQL, the current Md State Hunter Safety class satisfies the requirement. There are courses being offered all over the state right now, and are usually cheap. 12th precinct has one coming up in a few weeks, for $10. Check their website or DNR website for other locations.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You can satisfy the 10/1 training requirement now by taking the online MD firearms safety training. It takes about 30 minutes. When you're done, print out the certificate, which has a personal ID number that you put on current and future MD 77R forms. Be aware that the online training is no longer available on 10/1, so don't wait.
    http://mdgunsafety.com/

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    You can satisfy the 10/1 training requirement now by taking the online MD firearms safety training. It takes about 30 minutes. When you're done, print out the certificate, which has a personal ID number that you put on current and future MD 77R forms. Be aware that the online training is no longer available on 10/1, so don't wait.
    http://mdgunsafety.com/

That will not satisfy the 10/1 training requirement if you do not own a regulated firearm previous to 10/1.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If true, then the smart thing to do now for any affected person is find and buy the absolute cheapest regulated gun (or other). A sub-$100, non-functional handgun from 100 years ago (no matter how broken, rusted, or ugly) will exempt you from SB281 training.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    If true, then the smart thing to do now for any affected person is find and buy the absolute cheapest regulated gun (or other). A sub-$100, non-functional handgun from 100 years ago (no matter how broken, rusted, or ugly) will exempt you from SB281 training.

And find an 8th day release dealer; they will likely want to see a 4473 for a .22 rifle or some kind of previous purchase.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    And find an 8th day release dealer; they will likely want to see a 4473 for a .22 rifle or some kind of previous purchase.

That first part should be a "No sh*t, Sherlock" to everyone by now, but you never know. The second part applies to a good portion of MD FFL dealers but certainly not all. We have IPs who disprove it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom