• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The MDSP. Responded and apparently I am in a second review and they can not inform me when I may be approved BUT my Hql is still good until the 24th

wtf kinda bs is this lol
    Your HQL is good until you get a denial, while it is under review. There is MD Court precedent on this regarding the wear and carry permit and it carries over to the HQL.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Your HQL is good until you get a denial, while it is under review. There is MD Court precedent on this regarding the wear and carry permit and it carries over to the HQL.
    Thank you Dan

I have no idea what I could possibly be in a second review for or what that even means

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I have no idea what I could possibly be in a second review for or what that even means
    For HGP, all cases are subject to 2nd review. It's about quality control and internal auditing, no matter what is (or isn't) in the applicant's record.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    For HGP, all cases are subject to 2nd review. It's about quality control and internal auditing, no matter what is (or isn't) in the applicant's record.
    I have had my permit for quite a while now. I purchased a few firearms at Christmas time last year so I have recently enough had a few nics checks. I haven’t had as much as a speeding ticket or any other interactions with the police in 20-30 years. So idk why this is taking so long. It just strikes me as odd.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    Mine expires end of April too, and no response since submitting for my renewal towards the end of January, not long after getting the notice. I figured I'd have it back in a week or so. Now I'm feeling a need to make another purchase while the first one is still good.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Mine expires end of April too, and no response since submitting for my renewal towards the end of January, not long after getting the notice. I figured I'd have it back in a week or so. Now I'm feeling a need to make another purchase while the first one is still good.
    I checked my status and It says expires end of April. Just for fun, I tried the renew link and it reports nothing needs renewed. I guess they are just letting the current permit expire before updating. They certainly did draft the 20.00 fee when I put in to renew a few months ago.

melbill2

Feb 24, 2009
    Ellicott City
    HQL good until 5/12/24. Am I understanding correctly? Went through renewal process with confirmation of payment. Pending renewal, current HQL is valid past current renewal date?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    No. It expires the day stated.

Odds are you'll get a new email and HQL## in early May.
    If MSP follows how they treat the W&C permit after having been slapped by the Maryland Court of Special Appeals, the permit is valid until either a replacement is received, or the denial process is played out and the denial upheld.

I see no reason why they would treat the HQL different from the W&C with regards to when the card expires.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Hi All

I received a message this morning from MSP telling me that it is time to renew my HQL. It expires on 01July2024 so the reminder came 3 months before expiry. I will start the renewal process quickly to make sure I have plenty of time left on the clock in case I run into any of the renewal problems that others have experienced.

Cal68

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Hi All

I received a message this morning from MSP telling me that it is time to renew my HQL. It expires on 01July2024 so the reminder came 3 months before expiry. I will start the renewal process quickly to make sure I have plenty of time left on the clock in case I run into any of the renewal problems that others have experienced.

Cal68

If you didn't have your MD carry permit when you got your HQL, simply let it expire and apply for a new one for free.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    Got my renewal approval today. So, notification came late January, went online and filled out the renewal within a few days, and two months without a peep. Expiration was end of this month, so feel like it was in the nick of time. I think I'll have to go buy something to make sure it works right. ; )

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    I think that only works if you never had an HQL previously.

I was afraid I was going to get myself sideways doing this for that reason. I decided it was just better to spend my 20 bucks and renew it versus finding out they weren't going to let me do it, and ultimately having to start over or something else nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom