• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I recently got my C&R license and submitted a letter the the MSP to become a "Designated Collector".

After not hearing back from the MSP for many weeks, I called and was told my letter had not been processed. The reason was because I hadn't purchased a handgun in Md. since the 1980's. When I told the woman that I was a C&R holder, she asked me to send a copy(there is no mention of this being a requirement), and she processed it that day.

Since I was looking for a 9mm pistol, I recently began looking into the unconstitutional Md. HQL and in order to forego the training requirement, they want a serial number from a handgun I owned prior to the 2013 law or a copy of my DD214.

Now, it occurred to me that they already know that I made a lawful handgun purchase in the 1980's. The serial number is apparently not in their system.

Why would them knowing the serial number now make any difference, unless the entire purpose behind this oppressive law is the eventual confiscation of lawfully owned handguns?

I will stick with C&R handguns and skip buying anything they would know about and my just build the rest of my "modern" firearms! I know it costs more to build a handgun than to buy it, but at least they won't be coming to get it when the confiscation begins!:mad54:

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    I see your point. I find it hard to believe that they have a record of the prior handgun purchase without the specific details. I remember the previous forms that would come back stamped "NOT DISAPPROVED". They were carbonless copies. Surely they kept a copy and those forms had all of the info on them. What were the forms like prior to that? I honestly do not remember.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Don't worry. They have all the info on the handguns that you bought through a dealer. They just ask for the serial number because it's easier than them searching through their records. There are plenty of handguns that were sold face to face that they don't have records of. When I got my HQL I made sure to give them a serial number that they already had.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    If I remember correctly one of the dems in the Annapolis hearings a couple years ago stated md has always kept your firearms purchase info and really didn't care who knew

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I recently got my C&R license and submitted a letter the the MSP to become a "Designated Collector".

After not hearing back from the MSP for many weeks, I called and was told my letter had not been processed. The reason was because I hadn't purchased a handgun in Md. since the 1980's. When I told the woman that I was a C&R holder, she asked me to send a copy(there is no mention of this being a requirement), and she processed it that day.

Since I was looking for a 9mm pistol, I recently began looking into the unconstitutional Md. HQL and in order to forego the training requirement, they want a serial number from a handgun I owned prior to the 2013 law or a copy of my DD214.

Now, it occurred to me that they already know that I made a lawful handgun purchase in the 1980's. The serial number is apparently not in their system.

Why would them knowing the serial number now make any difference, unless the entire purpose behind this oppressive law is the eventual confiscation of lawfully owned handguns?

I will stick with C&R handguns and skip buying anything they would know about and my just build the rest of my "modern" firearms! I know it costs more to build a handgun than to buy it, but at least they won't be coming to get it when the confiscation begins!:mad54:

I understand the concern over confiscation, but I'm all for anything that will get you exempted from the training. What doesn't add up is they take previous gun ownership as an exemption for HQL training, but they still make you wait seven days before you can pick up a newly purchased gun, even if you own a gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Question for GuitarmanNick: Did the lady at MSP tell you that she knew you had a handgun purchase in the 1980s or she told you they had no record of a handgun purchase by you dating back to the 80s?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I think they require a serial number from everyone who uses that exemption. A friend of mine used a serial number of a C&R handgun he had bought after MD banned the unlicensed exercise of this right. Such a handgun would not have been in their system, and they approved it anyway without inquiring about how he got it.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I believe msp has been sued before not issuing a DC letter because they had no record of a 77r background check and no serial number. Like a 80% build.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I believe msp has been sued before not issuing a DC letter because they had no record of a 77r background check and no serial number. Like a 80% build.

I don't think there is a requirement in the law for someone to already own a handgun before they can apply to be a designated collector.

More made up ******** from the MSP.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I don't think there is a requirement in the law for someone to already own a handgun before they can apply to be a designated collector.

More made up ******** from the MSP.

He got the DC letter, he's talking about the HQL training requirement. Having dealt with the MSP more than I like, they would almost certainly say they COULD look up the data themselves, but it is up to you to PROVE you own one already. If it really bothers you, take the HQL class, and you won't have to give them any serial numbers. There are a few of us that train for no charge.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Gun licensing, permitting, and registration is what makes confiscation possible and has historically been used for confiscation by authoritarian governments all around the world.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Nor will I go through the HQL BS.. I agree, it is a recipe for future confiscation and aside from the cost to build one, the satisfaction I get from doing it myself, the joy of making something that works as well as a factory firearm and the **** eating grin I get every time I squeeze the trigger, far outweigh any slight increase in cost versus buying one and dealing with MD's restrictions that do little to nothing to reduce crime. :beer:

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    If I remember correctly one of the dems in the Annapolis hearings a couple years ago stated md has always kept your firearms purchase info and really didn't care who knew

I can tell you that the county police knew that I owned a .22 rifle a few years ago. There was an accidental shooting in the area of my parents home and they came looking for me because I bought a 10-22 while living there.

Pretty scary. It was not me that was responsible of course. I hadn't lived there in years.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    The recipe for future confiscation has been in place for years: the Maryland 77r and federal 4473 have all the information they need to confiscate. While the HQL is BS, it does little to help future confiscation.

Hell, I wish every Marylander got an HQL, then Annapolis would think there are millions more gun owners. If you don't have an HQL, you're invisible, and we're an artificially small minority.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    You guys forget that the licensing and permitting schemes in this poor excuse of a state are in place not to keep track of gun owners, but instead to put every possible roadblock in the way of the peasants owning a gun in the first place.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    You guys forget that the licensing and permitting schemes in this poor excuse of a state are in place not to keep track of gun owners, but instead to put every possible roadblock in the way of the peasants owning a gun in the first place.

:thumbsup: coming "next will be" a registration scheme.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I can tell you that the county police knew that I owned a .22 rifle a few years ago. There was an accidental shooting in the area of my parents home and they came looking for me because I bought a 10-22 while living there.

Pretty scary. It was not me that was responsible of course. I hadn't lived there in years.

All the more reason to [legally] purchase your long guns F2F... cash...

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County

And let's not forget the money they make on our desire to have such firearms. I always said that the HQL was a tax on law abiding gun owners. Nothing more.

All the more reason to [legally] purchase your long guns F2F... cash...

I agree completely.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    I guarantee you that they care not the least little bit about getting money from gun owners. Their one, only, and never-changing concern is to harass, intimidate, and punish all upstanding citizens who would dare to own a gun and thereby sully their liberal utopia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom