• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ml4wheeling

Mar 12, 2012
    Frederick
    I am going to try to record my hunts this year I got this camera from my uncle who used the on his motorcycle. I have been trying to come up with a creative way of mounting this POV (point of view) camera on my hunting guns. I am trying to make one just because I don't want to spend a bunch of money on one that dose not work well. It is also really expensive to try to buy some of these camera mounts. I have come up with a barrel mount for my Remington 700 and 870. I have mentioned this to some friends and they think it might throw off my shot. I am not too sure about this but I have not shot them yet with it mounted. Not sure if anyone out there has been doing any homework on this. I am trying to find a good way to mount this on my muzzle loader.
    IMG_3229.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

This is the camera with the mounts made with some conduit straps I got from work. (cheap)

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Your better off mounting it somewhere steady. When you pull the trigger the recoil will distort the best part of the film. You want to actually see the shot and impact IMO

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Here's an MDS thread that I recently started on the same subject. I think what you have there is a fine setup. I only wish my camera and barrel option were the same. However I am fighting a bottom mount camera with a vent rib shotgun barrel. My luck is not yours. I did mount the new "spear gun" mount and it works great for my needs. I think what you have is a grand plan.

Camera Mounts For Shotguns - Let's Talk "Innovation"

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Your better off mounting it somewhere steady. When you pull the trigger the recoil will distort the best part of the film. You want to actually see the shot and impact IMO

1. You're. :)

2. It's called a tripod. Put it in your blind next to you, or if you're in a treestand, try a gorilla-pod. If you're doing spot-and-stalk, probably best to have a cameraman along with you. If clamping a camera to a gun worked, production costs for hunting shows would be a lot lower. ;)

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    1. You're. :)

2. It's called a tripod. Put it in your blind next to you, or if you're in a treestand, try a gorilla-pod. If you're doing spot-and-stalk, probably best to have a cameraman along with you. If clamping a camera to a gun worked, production costs for hunting shows would be a lot lower. ;)

If us commoners could afford to pay a guy with a $5000.00 camera to follow us around to get 4 different camera angles with the same end result that people watch the shows to see and end up with the same results we wouldn't be doing it ourselves... Think on that for a while. It shouldn't take but a few seconds to understand.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also, this is not a spelling or etiquette class, sew, take you're eyenstine ass away with that stuff.:party29::party29::lol::lol::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'd like to see that cameraman get 4 shots from 4 different angles at same time.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I'd like to see that cameraman get 4 shots from 4 different angles at same time.

That's why they have a Cameraman. A camera on the gun. A camera on the hunters hat and usually a second camera man far away. Like I said, if I could hire a couple guys with nice cameras, I'd be set up like the TV shows. One thing you will learn FAST when you try to film your own hunts by YOURSELF is that 9 out of 10 times you will never catch the actual action on the camera if it is on a tripod. I have yet found a way to make the Deer, Turkey, Geese, Crows, etc actually stand on an X on the forest floor. Put the camera on the gun and you see everything from start to finish.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Now, Back to the topic. Here is my new mount on the Mossberg.

One picture shows the mount in the position with the camera below the barrel. I don't care for this position because the FOV is somewhat blocked by the barrel.

The other photo shows the mount in the position with the camera above the barrel and this gives a much better FOV. I'm sticking with the "above" position. You'll also notice the white PVC pipe spacer I have to make to allow the mount clamp to properly fit the shell tube. I need to remove it and get it painted, but, the set up is rock solid and ready to shoot.

Yes I did paint my Sony HandyCam with flat black paint. The only one I could find in stock locally was silver and I knew I could solve that issue.

Attachments

• shotgun camera mount 3.jpg
      shotgun camera mount 3.jpg
      30.9 KB · Views: 111
    • shotgun camera mount 2.jpg
      shotgun camera mount 2.jpg
      48.3 KB · Views: 104
    • shotgun camera mount 1.jpg
      shotgun camera mount 1.jpg
      22.5 KB · Views: 106

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    If us commoners could afford to pay a guy with a $5000.00 camera to follow us around to get 4 different camera angles with the same end result that people watch the shows to see and end up with the same results we wouldn't be doing it ourselves... Think on that for a while. It shouldn't take but a few seconds to understand.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also, this is not a spelling or etiquette class, sew, take you're eyenstine ass away with that stuff.:party29::party29::lol::lol::thumbsup::thumbsup:

pretty much the exact response i expected from someone clearly unable to discern the point of my post.

ml4wheeling

Mar 12, 2012
    Frederick
    That's why they have a Cameraman. A camera on the gun. A camera on the hunters hat and usually a second camera man far away. Like I said, if I could hire a couple guys with nice cameras, I'd be set up like the TV shows. One thing you will learn FAST when you try to film your own hunts by YOURSELF is that 9 out of 10 times you will never catch the actual action on the camera if it is on a tripod. I have yet found a way to make the Deer, Turkey, Geese, Crows, etc actually stand on an X on the forest floor. Put the camera on the gun and you see everything from start to finish.

This is why I want to mount it on my gun. I do not have the multi tasking skills to handle a firearm and worry about manning a camera. Plus if you have ever been up in a tree stand with no leaves on the tree the animals see your every move. Thanks for the help and comments.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    This is why I want to mount it on my gun. I do not have the multi tasking skills to handle a firearm and worry about manning a camera. Plus if you have ever been up in a tree stand with no leaves on the tree the animals see your every move. Thanks for the help and comments.

I have a couple YouTube videos of some hunts I've done, Geese / Turkey, and not a single animal is seen shot in any video thanks to a tripod that wasted the hunt video.

Here's a 3 fine examples of tripod filming:
    ( and how it wastes your time )

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I mounted a camera over the scope on my crossbow. Even that small amount of recoil shakes out the scene as the arrow flew. I imagine on a firearm it would be much worse.

Actually some of the test filming I did with my stealth cam proved just the opposite. The shotgun and rifles shots were a lot smoother than my buddies crossbows. I'm guessing the reflex of the limbs is what caused the shaking, but, with the shotguns there's hardly any movement at all.

Actually some of the test filming I did with my stealth cam proved just the opposite. The shotgun and rifles shots were a lot smoother than my buddies crossbows. I'm guessing the reflex of the limbs is what caused the shaking, but, with the shotguns there's hardly any movement at all.
    I'll try that then.

My second problem is that I run out of light for the camera. I mounted the camera to the rail of my tree stand in such a way that I could aim, zoom, and shoot without exposing my hand movements. I "shot" a kill, but couldn't make out much on the camera because it was too dark.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I'll try that then.

My second problem is that I run out of light for the camera. I mounted the camera to the rail of my tree stand in such a way that I could aim, zoom, and shoot without exposing my hand movements. I "shot" a kill, but couldn't make out much on the camera because it was too dark.

Oh how I feel your pain on the low light issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom