• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    The Biden administration has banned hunting and archery programs in all public schools. Any shooters out there who are providing training or mentoring in these programs, take note.

If schools continue such programs, then they stand to lose federal dollars for athletic programs.

I should be shocked, yet I am not. As we all know, among the ultimate wishes of the left are to ban hunting and the personal possession of firearms.

"Biden admin confirms it's withholding key funds for schools with hunting courses, GOP call it 'shameful' "

Biden admin confirms it's withholding key funds for schools with hunting courses, GOP call it 'shameful'

The Biden administration confirmed that its interpretation of a recent law precludes federal funding for school hunting and archery courses nationwide.

"Biden administration says it is interpreting recently-passed law 'as written by Congress' to block funding

"The Biden administration confirmed to Fox News Digital that it is withholding critical funds for elementary and secondary schools nationwide with hunting or archery programs in their curriculum.

" 'This prohibition applies to all ESEA funds,' a Department of Education spokesperson told Fox News Digital. 'The prohibition went into effect immediately on June 25, 2022 and applies to all existing and future awards under all ESEA programs, including [21st Century Community Learning Centers]. The Department is administering the bipartisan law as written by Congress.'

"Overall, the administration's decision to withhold funds for such programs may impact thousands of schools and millions of American students.

"According to the International Hunter Education Association, hunter education courses train and certify more than 500,000 students annually. Such courses are a reason hunting related injury rates have declined for years while populations of deer, wild turkey, elk, geese and other species of game have increased exponentially for years.

"The legislation included an amendment to an ESEA subsection listing prohibited uses for federal school funding. That amendment prohibits ESEA funds from helping provide any person with a dangerous weapon or to provide 'training in the use of a dangerous weapon.'

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I didn't, and wouldn't, trust the public school system to teach my kid how to hunt, shoot, camp, fish, etc. I did the parent thing and taught my daughter that myself.

So, to me, this is a nothing burger. The public school system is a (usually sub-par) replacement for parenting.

I hope the GOP makes a stink and then gives ground on this as a leverage tool to get something that is actually needed.....like the abolishing of the AFT.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    pretty serious stuff. you keep a generation or two of kids from hunting and shooting, and it will go by the wayside pretty quickly, along with all the support for 2a.

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    I didn't, and wouldn't, trust the public school system to teach my kid how to hunt, shoot, camp, fish, etc. I did the parent thing and taught my daughter that myself.

So, to me, this is a nothing burger. The public school system is a (usually sub-par) replacement for parenting.

I hope the GOP makes a stink and then gives ground on this as a leverage tool to get something that is actually needed.....like the abolishing of the AFT.

That's great for you and your daughter (seriously), but there are plenty of kids who have the interest or might develop the interest if given the opportunity in school and whose parents don't have the experience, knowledge, ability, or willingness to teach their kids themselves. Those are the kids who will lose out from this. The kids who have family members with these kinds of skills (and just as importantly, the ability and willingness to teach those skills) aren't the ones who are going to suffer from this. Keeping kids from being exposed to these kinds of activities is a big part of what could eventually lead to larger and larger segments of the population being willing to give up constitutional rights.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    That's great for you and your daughter (seriously), but there are plenty of kids who have the interest or might develop the interest if given the opportunity in school and whose parents don't have the experience, knowledge, ability, or willingness to teach their kids themselves. Those are the kids who will lose out from this. The kids who have family members with these kinds of skills (and just as importantly, the ability and willingness to teach those skills) aren't the ones who are going to suffer from this. Keeping kids from being exposed to these kinds of activities is a big part of what could eventually lead to larger and larger segments of the population being willing to give up constitutional rights.

Yes, of course. I am sure the antis, playing the long game, are very much focused on keeping kids from being introduced to firearms.

I would contend that my point still stands.

If a kid is interested in hunting or shooting and a parent is inexperienced or unable to provide instruction, then it is still on the parent to seek instruction elsewhere. It even makes for a nice bonding moment where the child and parent can bond over shared learning.

For a parent that is unwilling, the presence or absence of a hunting course is irrelevant, due to parental rights, permission slips, and people under the age of 18 not being able to possess or even touch a gun without parental approval.

Raising kids is still on the parents, first and foremost.

Edit: I should point out that I am not defending sleepy Joes actions. The fact that they want to deprive the next generation their rights through deceit illuminates how fanatical and cowardly they are.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

For most things , sure .

But a legit Hunter Safety course is meeting State , and de facto national standards .

And back in the day , the Archery segment of Jr HS PE class was straight up Archery fundamentals.

No hark from either , and a positive good to expose 'yutes who didn't have outdoorsy parents .

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    The Feds have no authority to do this. Actually they have no authority to be involved in the public school system at all. A-holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yes, of course. I am sure the antis, playing the long game, are very much focused on keeping kids from being introduced to firearms.

I would contend that my point still stands.

If a kid is interested in hunting or shooting and a parent is inexperienced or unable to provide instruction, then it is still on the parent to seek instruction elsewhere. It even makes for a nice bonding moment where the child and parent can bond over shared learning.

For a parent that is unwilling, the presence or absence of a hunting course is irrelevant, due to parental rights, permission slips, and people under the age of 18 not being able to possess or even touch a gun without parental approval.

Raising kids is still on the parents, first and foremost.

Edit: I should point out that I am not defending sleepy Joes actions. The fact that they want to deprive the next generation their rights through deceit illuminates how fanatical and cowardly they are.
    I would have loved a class in school that I would have actually used. Especially if it included game cleaning and preparation like some of the classes in Alaska do.

My dad took me hunting and fishing. Mostly deer hunting. But he also worked 80+ hours a week for a large portion of my life (i wish that was an exaggerated statement, but if anything its understated). We normally only made it our 5-6 times a season and dropped all of our deer at a processor. So now in my 30s I'm learning to process my own stuff (I've been doing it a while, I still suck, but my snack sticks are on point) and branching out to other things like land management and trapping.

I'd love for schools to have actual conservation minded classes with curriculums developed by groups like RMEF and NWTF.

I do agree with you though that the public schools would probably screw it all up, at least in our area.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    The Feds have no authority to do this. Actually they have no authority to be involved in the public school system at all. A-holes.

The threat is to cut off Federal money, so that's their connection. The problem is many schools have become addicted to outside funds instead of their own state and local tax base paying full freight.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    The Biden administration has banned hunting and archery programs in all public schools. Any shooters out there who are providing training or mentoring in these programs, take note.

If schools continue such programs, then they stand to lose federal dollars for athletic programs.

I should be shocked, yet I am not. As we all know, among the ultimate wishes of the left are to ban hunting and the personal possession of firearms.

"Biden admin confirms it's withholding key funds for schools with hunting courses, GOP call it 'shameful' "

Biden admin confirms it's withholding key funds for schools with hunting courses, GOP call it 'shameful'

The Biden administration confirmed that its interpretation of a recent law precludes federal funding for school hunting and archery courses nationwide.

"Biden administration says it is interpreting recently-passed law 'as written by Congress' to block funding

"The Biden administration confirmed to Fox News Digital that it is withholding critical funds for elementary and secondary schools nationwide with hunting or archery programs in their curriculum.

" 'This prohibition applies to all ESEA funds,' a Department of Education spokesperson told Fox News Digital. 'The prohibition went into effect immediately on June 25, 2022 and applies to all existing and future awards under all ESEA programs, including [21st Century Community Learning Centers]. The Department is administering the bipartisan law as written by Congress.'

"Overall, the administration's decision to withhold funds for such programs may impact thousands of schools and millions of American students.

"According to the International Hunter Education Association, hunter education courses train and certify more than 500,000 students annually. Such courses are a reason hunting related injury rates have declined for years while populations of deer, wild turkey, elk, geese and other species of game have increased exponentially for years.

"The legislation included an amendment to an ESEA subsection listing prohibited uses for federal school funding. That amendment prohibits ESEA funds from helping provide any person with a dangerous weapon or to provide 'training in the use of a dangerous weapon.'
    The problem is the funding. School should be funding and controlled at the local level by the parents of kids attending the schools.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The problem is the funding. School should be funding and controlled at the local level by the parents of kids attending the schools.
    Under the requirements these days, there is no way that a small community can fund their schools without federal and state money. Western Maryland, southern Maryland, southern Eastern Shore. Even maintaining existing buildings is almost impossible in smaller communities.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

This

I took it to learning these skills myself. No way I could rely on either of my parents for guidance. Neither were outdoorsy.

I was lucky to have a grandfather who fished and Wide World of Sports to introduce me to the outdoor lifestyle. As soon as I was old enough, I began my self education through friends, books and magazines, videos and organizations.

I do support instruction in the school systems even though I never received any in all my years in public and private schools throughout the '60s and '70s.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    They haven't banned anything. What they have done is eliminated federal funding for schools that have these things in school, via a rule that takes funding away from any school that puts a dangerous weapon in a kid's hand, or some such BS language.

It will turn in to a DeFacto ban though.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I wonder how this will impact PE. Archery, fencing, and wrestling have been a part of the middle school curriculum for a long time now.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    All we need is one appeal to a Constitution loving Trump judge who will immediately overrule this abomination and make it applicable to the entire nation, all 57 states (like Sen. Obama once said when he was running for president).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom