• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dualhead

Dec 2, 2012
    A friend of mine found his grandmother's .357 Ladysmith in a box of her items. She passed years ago. He is interested in keeping it and wondered if his hunters safety coursebis sufficient in the state's eyes to grant him the ability to legally own it. He is not interested in concealed or open carry. Just trips to the range and hunting out of state when local laws permit the use of handguns. Thanks!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It is, but there is no requirement for an HQL for an inheritance, and the transfer is free at the MSP barracks.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So my buddy just has to register it and he is good to go?

Go to MSP, ask for paperwork to do an inheritance transfer, have them verify the serial number, fill out the paperwork, submit the paperwork with a $10 money order, enjoy the family heirloom.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I thought you had a time limit on when the inheritance transfer can be done from time of death. But I could be wrong

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I thought you had a time limit on when the inheritance transfer can be done from time of death. But I could be wrong

Nope, none stated in the law or the regulations.

So about 8 years ago when mom and dad sold the house and moved into a retirement home (Pennsylvania) he gave me his brand new Ruger P95 since he was not allowed to have it in the retirement home. At the time we weren't sure about the paperwork involved so he wrote on the back of the 4473 that he was giving the gun to me, dated and both signed. He has since passed away and I still have the firearm. Should I go to MD State Police and register it?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So about 8 years ago when mom and dad sold the house and moved into a retirement home (Pennsylvania) he gave me his brand new Ruger P95 since he was not allowed to have it in the retirement home. At the time we weren't sure about the paperwork involved so he wrote on the back of the 4473 that he was giving the gun to me, dated and both signed. He has since passed away and I still have the firearm. Should I go to MD State Police and register it?

Nope, no requirements to register it, unless you want to, to feel better about it.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Incorrect. 8 years ago paperwork was required for a regulated handgun transfer. Hopefully he can now go the inheritance route.

I am assuming he was also a PA resident when he moved his parents into a retirement home. Of course I should know better than to assume.

So the question for hitwtom is, was he a PA resident when the tranfer took place?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I am assuming he was also a PA resident when he moved his parents into a retirement home. Of course I should know better than to assume.

So the question for hitwtom is, was he a PA resident when the tranfer took place?
    Ahhhh got ya, if so than I stand corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom