• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    There's been a couple of these threads years back and I'm just curious what everyone is using/ recommends. I did a hunt last year at a state park in VA and they recommended an app that had a nice map of the boundaries of the park. App was called Avenza I think. I've tried to find similar maps on this app for public land in MD and no dice. So what are you using that has good maps of public hunting land in MD, specifically with the boundaries marked? Thanks.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    There's been a couple of these threads years back and I'm just curious what everyone is using/ recommends. I did a hunt last year at a state park in VA and they recommended an app that had a nice map of the boundaries of the park. App was called Avenza I think. I've tried to find similar maps on this app for public land in MD and no dice. So what are you using that has good maps of public hunting land in MD, specifically with the boundaries marked? Thanks.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trailbehind.android.gaiagps.pro&hl=en_US

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    OnX is the big one, really good for public/private land boundaries and property owners if you're trying to get permission.

I'll be honest, it's better out West where there is more open country and long distances and terrain features, everything over here is just condensed more.

I used Avenza at Blackwater one year. It sucks, essentially just plot your location on a paper map. No dynamic/terrain/sat maps

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Merlin sucks for the most part and is dead wrong in very many locations for establishing ownership and boundaries.
    Same thing with those apps in a lot of jurisdictions.
    DNR CFL land maps same thing.
    Just because an app, or map shows a line, dont count on it for accuracy.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Merlin sucks for the most part and is dead wrong in very many locations for establishing ownership and boundaries.

This, i had onyx hunting app for about 1hr, i tried to survey my land and it was way off and was skipping around, id move 5' and it said i moved 50yds. Was very worthless app where i am.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015

Garage in garbage out. Its the county base layers. Depends on the county GIS

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    This, i had onyx hunting app for about 1hr, i tried to survey my land and it was way off and was skipping around, id move 5' and it said i moved 50yds. Was very worthless app where i am.

Thats not the app, its your GPS in your phone. Could be the SNR, Pdop, or poor geometry

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County

This. I would exercise extra caution using it to establish separation between public and private land in particular. Merlin uses tax map parcel boundaries. These can be considerably off and are not actually based on survey data, IIRC. All of the properties along my road are considerably off both in their shapes and boundary locations. According to the Merlin map, my house and out buildings are about 200 yards outside my property and on state land. The property survey obviously shows something quite different from Merlin.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Yes, those apps are useful out west where you are dealing with LARGE parcels, and 50-100 yards off is no big deal.

In MD, when you are on smaller public parcels and hunting near a boundary with private,, 100 yards off causes problems.
    The boundary data is routinely 20, 40, 100 yards off .

OnX is the big one, really good for public/private land boundaries and property owners if you're trying to get permission.

I'll be honest, it's better out West where there is more open country and long distances and terrain features, everything over here is just condensed more.

I used Avenza at Blackwater one year. It sucks, essentially just plot your location on a paper map. No dynamic/terrain/sat maps

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Another OnX guy

I have an account and have it logged in on 3 guys phones. When we are back water duck hunting and not together we mark our locations on it. This lets the other guys know exactly where they are for safety.

Getting to the spots we hunt requires a mud motor or a 50 yard hump through the frag. My buddy is a hardcore Sitka hunter and often kayaks a mile or two solo. Safety first!

Don’t tell OnX ;)

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I don't understand what the big deal about being 20, 40 + yards off? Learn how property lines are marked, especially public lands, then use field evidence. Your not surviving a line with these tools.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I don't understand what the big deal about being 20, 40 + yards off? Learn how property lines are marked, especially public lands, then use field evidence. Your not surviving a line with these tools.

Agree with this. I’ve actually found the lines and corners on the app to be very accurate for my use.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Huntstand, and OnX. Presently all my hunting is on public land in state parks and forests. They usually have decent paper maps for free, pick up a couple of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom