• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Is this a good place to backpack into, camp, and hunt? Or is their too much backpacker traffic to make it safe and doable. I am planning on a trip through the general area this summer and would like to check it out. Not looking for trophies, just some good venison. I heard about a place in Hampshire County where you can hunt from a stand on outfitter land, but that is CWD territory.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    +17,000 acres in the Dolly Sods Wilderness, I can't imagine you'll see another person if you do your due diligence.

Unexploded ordinance from WW2 training is still in the area, something to keep in mind. They cleared a lot of it from the trails people hike, but I would guess there is still a lot out there.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Been to Dolly Sods many times. No hunting in the Sods. Its a National Wilderness area. And on any given weekend spring through fall, it's crawling with DC-ites looking to get away.

Pirate

Mar 20, 2010
    Dolly sods, senica rocks and any of those national forrest in that area have some good hunting in them. You will find a lot of people in the woods during the first mile from any road. Then a couple in the next 2-3. If you go beyond that you may see someone but it will be rare. Just make sure you dont walk 4 miles from one area to be a mile from another road. Its a huge area and you will be able to get away from people. There are some big deer in there too.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I see people everywhere, all the time in the Dolly Sods. It's hard to get a parking spot there anymore, and you'll find most of the back country campsites already taken by the time you get to them.

And, yeah,

A survey was conducted and it is believed all ordinance was found and removed from 6' on either side of the trails and from the most popular campsites. Watch where you step off-trail.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom