• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    For us guys its a little safer to cold knock its different for the females...that was my only point to her carrying or going with another friend carrying. But like I said..most farmers are decent folks...the worst they can say is no or someone else already asked...

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    Some great advice here. I didn't read everything so if someone already said what I'm about to write, I apologize. First, if you are confident shooting with your shotgun, don't fret too much about not having a rifled barrel. Especially if your 20 gauge is accurate with rifled slugs. One huge advantage that you'll one day appreciate if you do invest in a rifled barrel is how cheap rifled slugs are compared to sabots. Does your setup have decent sights? If not, I might suggest working on that instead of buying more gear. Especially if you want to get in the game this season. As far as a tree stand, don't go too cheap, especially with the harness. I would watch Sierra trading post or one of the big box stores for sales and clearances if you want to save some coin. If you plan on hunting public land, a climbing tree stand is not a bad idea. If you obtain permission from a farmer or landowner, consider a ground blind/pop-up tent. When I was a teen, I used to hunt my friend's family farm from a small cheap makeshift ground blind fairly successfully. I have also just sat with my back to a tree with camo netting and/or just good camo clothing and done ok. Basically, you can make it work with what you probably already have. Just be prepared to sit for a while, as still as possible. Next year, since it doesn't sound like you've done this this year, try and pick out hunting locations and scout them out. Look for well used game trails, bedding areas, water and food sources, scraps... Etc. Anything that'll help you pick a spot that'll give you the best chance of bagging a deer. I noticed that a member offered to take you squirrel hunting... I would take that offer or try it out alone at the very least. Squirrel and dove are great prep for the deer and waterfowl seasons.
    As far as buying a bow or muzzle loader, these are great if you want to extend your hunting season and have more chances to fill your freezer, but I would probably wait until I killed my first deer... If you must, getting a muzzleloader or crossbow would be the easiest since you're obviously proficient with firearms.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have been very successful from a ground blind!

Lindberg1927@Gmail.com

LOL boy don't I know this feeling. I have several ladder stands and many ground blinds. I have killed more Deer setting on my old black milk crate at the edge of the field than I ever have in any of those stands or blinds. I'll set in the woods at the base of a big Oak and it's game on. I'm not sure why I even own all those stands anymore.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Drop me a line at lindberg1927@Gmail.com
    I am 61 and would be glad to mentor a young deer hunter. I have my own leases!

Rob

LOOK OUT every Tom, Dick, Harry, Bill, and Bob will be emailing you for a back-up seat invitation. I have gotten many private messages from guys putting their foot in the door to help lower the Deer and Turkey population on my farm. It's not an invite unless you receive it directly and personally.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

LOOK OUT every Tom, Dick, Harry, Bill, and Bob will be emailing you for a back-up seat invitation. I have gotten many private messages from guys putting their foot in the door to help lower the Deer and Turkey population on my farm. It's not an invite unless you receive it directly and personally.

yeah and most likely they would be shooting at anything that moves...not in all cases but many don't respect someone elses property...:sad20:

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    How far are you from Brooklyn Park? Go see Len at Macrotech he knows more about bows than anybody, and he will tell you too. :D He comes off a little gruff, and normally I would not suggest him, but your learning curve is growing shorter now that the season started. Maybe spend about $500 to get set up. Otherwise just keep practicing with the shotgun and start with the firearms season.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Been wanting to learn to hunt for years and made the first overt strides last year when I purchased my first gun(s), took the hunter safety course, bought my license and then attended a DNR sponsored women's hunt.

It's getting to the time of year where I feel like I ought to be doing something to further my hunting dreams... but I am kind of stalled. What's my next step? I ultimately want to hunt deer. I love venison (I am basically hunting for food, because I love eating wild game and no one I know since leaving college hunts!)

I live in SE Baltimore County... and currently own two different shotguns, neither of which has a rifled barrel-- but my 20 ga shoots rifled slugs pretty accurately even without a scope! I have been shooting it a bit at Free State, which is the closest range to my house, but Free State is indoors and has limited range, and no outdoor stuff.

So what do I do next? Some options that have occurred to me...

#1: Buy a bow. And learn to use it. But where do I shoot it? I live in a townhouse. No one will put up with that in my tiny backyard. Need someplace close to learn to use it.

#2: I need a tree stand... I think. A climber? Seems like everyone uses tree stands to bow hunt deer around here. So this is a necessity?

#3: Buy a rifled barrel shotgun... but use it to hunt... where?

I really enjoyed hunting geese... but it seems like a rich persons sport these days, sadly.... and I am far from rich. I have a very limited amount of extra money to play with in a given year and last year I spent it all on three guns, the DNR hunt and an indoor range membership.

Now what??

Apply for the managed hunts listed in the MD hunting guide. These take place on state land, mostly state parks. They are well managed and you don't have to worry about safety. It is a concern, since things can get kind of crazy when everyone shows up at a WMA during the firearms deer season. There are fewer muzzleloader hunters, so take advantage of that season. You can often get a bow permit for state parks or other areas. Take a look at the hunting guide for public lands. Go to the Gwynbrook office and you can get a permit for most of the areas in central MD at no cost. Get into small game hunting, i.e. squirrel. You can shotgun hunt squirrels, while gun hunting deer is much more limited. Those are my recommendations.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Hyp, i have a horton crossbow you can have if you want. it will need to be looked over by a tech before a single shot is fired from it though. I have had it sitting in my basement for years and may have put 6 shots through it since i got it for xmas. Due to my beliefs, i do not use it. shoot me a pm if you want it.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    May I suggest joining one of the 29 gun clubs at AGC of Marriottsville, in North West Baltimore County, and you might be pleasantly surprised, {as I did}, that you'll enjoy target shooting more than shooting at live game.

As for tasty wild game...you can possibly pick-up any fresh road kill on the way to or from the range.:D Just kidding --- but many members at AGC also hunt wild game, {including myself}, and you'll probably have a chance too meet and talk to people there; that enjoy the same hunting desires as you do.

I recommend the Monumental Rifle & Pistol Club at AGC of Marriottsville, or the Arlington Rifle & Pistol Club.

Cheers,

Erno

Last edited:

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Last year I saw the biggest buck of my life sitting with my back against a tree about 30 yards off the waterfall trail at Patapsco State Park in the Avalon/Orange Grove area. It was an 8 pointer, but the antlers were THICK, massive. We were hiking and decided to get off the crowded, busy trail, away from mountain bikers. It was an amazing moment-- sitting there against a tree with that big buck 15 feet away, snuffing because he could smell my friends perfume but couldn't see us in camo/earth tones clothing against the trunk. I definitely live for moments like that.

^^^This right here is what it's all about. You don't need a bunch of equipment or accessories. Sometimes the base of a tree with your favorite gun in your lap will suffice just fine.

Some great advice here. I didn't read everything so if someone already said what I'm about to write, I apologize. First, if you are confident shooting with your shotgun, don't fret too much about not having a rifled barrel. Especially if your 20 gauge is accurate with rifled slugs. One huge advantage that you'll one day appreciate if you do invest in a rifled barrel is how cheap rifled slugs are compared to sabots. Does your setup have decent sights? If not, I might suggest working on that instead of buying more gear. Especially if you want to get in the game this season. As far as a tree stand, don't go too cheap, especially with the harness. I would watch Sierra trading post or one of the big box stores for sales and clearances if you want to save some coin. If you plan on hunting public land, a climbing tree stand is not a bad idea. If you obtain permission from a farmer or landowner, consider a ground blind/pop-up tent. When I was a teen, I used to hunt my friend's family farm from a small cheap makeshift ground blind fairly successfully. I have also just sat with my back to a tree with camo netting and/or just good camo clothing and done ok. Basically, you can make it work with what you probably already have. Just be prepared to sit for a while, as still as possible. Next year, since it doesn't sound like you've done this this year, try and pick out hunting locations and scout them out. Look for well used game trails, bedding areas, water and food sources, scraps... Etc. Anything that'll help you pick a spot that'll give you the best chance of bagging a deer. I noticed that a member offered to take you squirrel hunting... I would take that offer or try it out alone at the very least. Squirrel and dove are great prep for the deer and waterfowl seasons.
    As far as buying a bow or muzzle loader, these are great if you want to extend your hunting season and have more chances to fill your freezer, but I would probably wait until I killed my first deer... If you must, getting a muzzleloader or crossbow would be the easiest since you're obviously proficient with firearms.

^^^ Wholeheartedly agree. Excellent advice above! ^^^
    Good luck this year!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom