Hunting from Bike/Butchering Deer in the Woods on Public Land?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Hey all, I hunt on public Chesapeake Forest Lands sort of near Salisbury. Two questions. First of all, I have a pretty far walk to get to my spot. I'd like to bike there. I'd have my unloaded gun and a tree stand on a deer cart attached to my bike like a trailer. I can't find anything prohibiting me from doing this, but I figured I should check with you guys.

Secondly, I live in an apartment. I don't want to pay for butchering a deer, especially since I'm pretty good at doing it myself. My apartment, however, probably wouldn't appreciate me skinning a deer in our common area. Is there anything preventing me from quartering a deer in the woods on public land and then transporting it back in an ice chest? What about if I shoot a deer Saturday night, fill it with ice, then come back early Sunday morning to quarter it? Thanks.

GRAY GHOST

The 43rd
    Jul 24, 2012
    C.S.A.
    as for the bike thing ,i say ur good to go. other hunters may have a problem. just be the first one in the woods. as for you quartering the deer in the woods, just tell dnr you thought it had cwd. but i say as long as you called it in and have a tag you should be ok.and for letting it sit over night,you might take the chance of critters eating the butt out of it. yummy.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    sort of a funny related story, though not at the time.

i arrowed my first and only buck on my property at last light on a saturday. by the time i found and dressed it, it was the wee hours of sunday. since i had already not taken it to a game check station by end of saturday, i was worn out and didn't bother doing it sunday 1am since nothing would be open then anyways.

i worked several counties away and liked the local butcher there, so i took it there sunday mid-morning, stopping at a game check station in that area.

so between checking the deer on a sunday and taking it several counties away, i got a game warden's strong attention. it was a very nice farm-fed 8 pointer, so that added to his attention. warden came on my property basically accused me of actually shooting it (with a rifle) and/or killing it on Sunday. spent an hour or so looking for blood, arrow, etc to prove his case. as i legally took it, he could of course not prove otherwise and finally left me alone.

GRAY GHOST

The 43rd
    Jul 24, 2012
    C.S.A.

i arrowed my first and only buck on my property at last light on a saturday. by the time i found and dressed it, it was the wee hours of sunday. since i had already not taken it to a game check station by end of saturday, i was worn out and didn't bother doing it sunday 1am since nothing would be open then anyways.

i worked several counties away and liked the local butcher there, so i took it there sunday mid-morning, stopping at a game check station in that area.

so between checking the deer on a sunday and taking it several counties away, i got a game warden's strong attention. it was a very nice farm-fed 8 pointer, so that added to his attention. warden came on my property basically accused me of actually shooting it (with a rifle) and/or killing it on Sunday. spent an hour or so looking for blood, arrow, etc to prove his case. as i legally took it, he could of course not prove otherwise and finally left me alone.

the funny thing is in most counties you can on sundays. also send in the pics of the deer.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State

You don't have to go to a "Check-in Station" anymore. You can do the check-in from a cell phone in the woods, or a land line phone. Once you get the confirmation number you can move it or butcher it yourself. To the OP, if you want to quarter a deer (which with CWD, is not a bad choice) just keep evidence of sex, in case you get checked. You should also "call it in" and fill out the tag before you butcher it.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    A bike is considered "a vehicle" although most areas have different rules for "motorized" and "non-motorized vehicles." You might want to check site specific rules on off-road vehicles where you hunt.

I find most of DNR's website(s) pretty difficult to navigate, at least where anything hunting is concerned. You really have to know where to look. They do have a huge amount of on-line info about the CFL's though if you can locate your specific tract. I think all the public use tracts have the same rules though. Used to be you could not cut-up a deer carcass to move it but I know someone tried to change that a few years ago. Sorry, I don't know how it turned out but I am pretty sure that once you "check your kill" (via cell phone these days) you can butcher it. jr88's advise to keep some proof of gender intact is rock solid though, if only to avoid suspicion. Antlers prove the obvious but leaving the udder attached to a doe or the pecker on an antlerless buck can't hurt. Leave it attached to the hide, but it can otherwise be severed from it's other attachment points.:o :sad20:

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    call the deer in and have a confirmation number before you start quartering it. other than that, i'd say you are good. i see bikes on cherrywalk public all the time

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Might not even be a bad choice to fill out the tag and write the confiormation number on it, then throw the tag on the private area of the deer and snap a picture. Just to show further proof of what exactly you killed in case anything were to come into question.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Might not even be a bad choice to fill out the tag and write the confiormation number on it, then throw the tag on the private area of the deer and snap a picture. Just to show further proof of what exactly you killed in case anything were to come into question.

I like that idea, I can timestamp it as well and that way I don't have to physically have proof of gender.

Looks like I'm good to go with everything, now I just have to find a way to attach a deer cart to my bike and verify that my plan works as well in real life as it does in theory.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm assuming that was in the past since Checking Stations were mentioned. You had a time period to do so , BUT had to be in the same County as the kill.

Nowdays this is all moot , with the phone checkin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom