Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Filled out DNR “contact us” form

Date: Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 8:52 AM
    Subject: ? on handgun carry
    To: customerservice.dnr@maryland.gov<customerservice.dnr@maryland.gov>

Good morning

If you have a MD carry permit, is it legal to carry your sidearm while hunting?

Thank you,

*************** Note reply

Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2022 4:07 PM
    To: Me
    Cc: Customer Service DNR -DNR- <customerservice.dnr@maryland.gov>
    Subject:Re: ? on handgun carry

Good Afternoon,

Yes, you can open carry during a legal hunting activity in Maryland.
    Although you can open carry while bow hunting in the state, you must meet the following requirements to do so:
    • You must be at least twenty-one years old.
    • You must carry the firearm for personal protection.
    • You cannot openly carry a firearm to take a wildlife animal while bow hunting in the state.
    • Maryland has hunter harassment for the protection of such activities in the state.
    • They include the following:
    • Nobody shall open carry on private land, or hunting areas under the state government, without permission.
    • Nobody shall deliberately interfere with any legal hunting activity in any wildlife area of the state.
    • Nobody shall harass or disturb any wildlife animal to prevent lawful hunting activity in the state.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    The hunting regs actually address this topic, although the language there limits it to Zone A in the western part of the state during deer archery (nominally stated for bear defense). It would be good to know if this was recently expanded include the rest of the state. No mention of Zones in the reply.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I was thinking about this over the weekend. Junior Hunting was this past weekend and, as an adult, I couldn't be hunting. I didn't carry my trusty 38 because I wasn't sure if carrying would be permitted. From DNR's website (copied below) I interpreted this as I could not carry. They need to clarify this (yes, even if Junior Hunt days are one weekend for deer).

DNR's Website:
    1668636110949.png

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I was thinking about this over the weekend. Junior Hunting was this past weekend and, as an adult, I couldn't be hunting. I didn't carry my trusty 38 because I wasn't sure if carrying would be permitted. From DNR's website (copied below) I interpreted this as I could not carry. They need to clarify this (yes, even if Junior Hunt days are one weekend for deer).

DNR's Website:
    View attachment 388359
    Do you have a Md HGP?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yes, but it specifically says “the adult must be unarmed” for Junior hunt days.
    I suspect it is more "is not carrying a hunting device".

But yeah, at some point we need better clarity. DNR's reply seems to run counter to what they have on their website. Of course maybe a HGP provides an exemption to carrying while hunting that you wouldn't normally get. Because you can carry a handgun when hunting without a permit. But the intention is HUNTING with it. DNR has the specific exemption that you can carry a "not legal for deer or bear hunting" handgun while bow hunting in region A.

So perhaps the point is, yes you can carry a handgun for protection if you have a handgun permit.

But that would be interesting as the state prohibits people from carrying handguns in state parks and forests...

Though maybe what they are kind of sort of saying is you can carry it NOT in one of those places while hunting, so long as you aren't going to use it to take a deer. IE you may NOT carry a legal hunting device handgun if bow hunting. And don't use the handgun to shoot or put down the deer.

I'd like to know, and of course get things to open up. I ran in to a shady group of hunters that basically stole my deer in GRSF last season (long story, not rehashing). 3 on 1, they were armed and one claimed with no evidence (and fewer teeth) to be a cop. Not that I was planning to get into a gun fight over a deer, nor would I, but I'd already hiked back to my car to get my deer cart and drop my rifle off. Yeah, risk of bears, but it wasn't more than about 300 yds away and pretty open woods and I did NOT want to be hauling the deer up that slope with my rifle on my back or adding weight to the cart.

If legal, I would have for sure dropped my rifle off and belted on a handgun for bear (and apparently people) protection. And no, I don't really want to hike around with a 3lb 6" 44 mag on my belt that would be legal for deer. (and yeah, I have my HGP now).

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD
    "Yes, you can open carry during "a" legal hunting activity in Maryland"

Interesting that she says " a " legal hunting activity, not "any". Then she goes on to specify the rules for carrying while bowhunting, which sound like the rules for Zone A for bear protection as 308Scout says. Does "a" legal hunting activity mean an activity where hunting with a handgun would be legal anyway. And what about concealed? Clear as mud!

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Go back and look at the OP. There is a web address where you can ask.
    Yeah, I also saw OP waited a solid week for a response. For only one day a year (no Sunday hunting for us) that won’t be an issue once he’s older than 16, I’ll take the lazy approach and kick the can on this one.

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    Areas belonging to, or under the control of the state gvt. That's my guess.

Areas where the gvt is running controlled hunts comes to mind.
    It says private land too. It makes no gd sense the way its written. I'm going to do the same thing as OP and pick apart every uncertainty to get them on record and spell this shit out. This is ridiculous.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    WTF does this mean?
    • Nobody shall open carry on private land, or hunting areas under the state government, without permission.
    Since the person who responded said MD has hunter harassment, I assume that means that people cannot carry on someone else's private land without the owner of the lands permission as a method to intimidate a hunter (or on state lands).

I mean, if you are coming up on a hunter and you are armed, and you are harassing them, that certainly ups the harassment level. I assume this would be an add-on charge.

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    Since the person who responded said MD has hunter harassment, I assume that means that people cannot carry on someone else's private land without the owner of the lands permission as a method to intimidate a hunter (or on state lands).

I mean, if you are coming up on a hunter and you are armed, and you are harassing them, that certainly ups the harassment level. I assume this would be an add-on charge.
    Yeah but taken by itself without the surrounding context seems to negate any carrying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom