• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    My friend is renting a house in Washington county and it has enough land to hunt on. Since he is renting the property from the owner and is living there, should I accompany him do I still need written permission from the actual owner or am I good to go? Would he need written permission since he technically doesn't own the land?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    For this purpose, unless spelled out in the lease, your friend is effectively the landowner. You need his written permission.

paullwaull

Oct 2, 2012
    That is incorrect. Per DNR, leasing or renting has no bearing on ownership. The way they will enforce it is written permission from the actual landowner. I've ask them this question directly before and they have all say the same thing. Renting or leasing is not the same as having your name on the deed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    For this purpose, unless spelled out in the lease, your friend is effectively the landowner. You need his written permission.
    The requirement to have a hunting license is related to leasing property and in the Maryland Hunting Guide , it states that if you lease the land and live there, etc., you and your under 16 kids don't need the license to only hunt there.

This is not the same as rendering permission.
    That is incorrect. Per DNR, leasing or renting has no bearing on ownership. The way they will enforce it is written permission from the actual landowner. I've ask them this question directly before and they have all say the same thing. Renting or leasing is not the same as having your name on the deed.
    Exactly.

In the Maryland Hunting Guide, it states that permission must come from the owner.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I suspected as much.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    your friend living on the property, unless he is working the property (agriculture), needs a license, and either way he needs written hunting permission from the landowner. you (op) would need a license and also written landowner (not your buddy the tenant's) permission to hunt there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom