• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I am close to purchasing a lever 45-70
    It will be a dual purpose - MD deer 25-125 yards, AND once a year ELK hunts in WY out to about 250 yards.

I am zeroing in on a 2-10 mag scope,, I like the Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42 with the "firedot",, but I was hoping to stay in the $200-400 price range.

Amazon product ASIN B06XWY7G2Z
    Questions:
    FFP or SFP? why?
    I don't want any complex "Tree" reticle,, just a duplex,, or do I ??
    Learn to hold over for long shots? or get a scope with ballistic marked elevation knob?

Any suggestions?

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Finding a ballistic marked elevation knob for .45-70 might be difficult. Most are marked for modern military spritzer cartridges like 5.56, 7.62, etc.

Because of that, a FFP scope loses a lot of its value, as a duplex reticle and FFP poses no advantage over SFP and duplex. (FFP actually becomes a liability)

As stated above, a fixed power scope may be the good medicine for this. I'd probably recommend a good fixed 10x (the gold standard for this was Bushnell's Tac Elite 10x which is sadly discontinued). Some of sightrons 2-10x (the s-tac line) stuff may also fit the bill. they are within your budget

Because .45-70 has such a drop to it, I would probably just learn where it is hitting at 50-250 yards and hold over.

Finally, .45-70 is a great round, but 250 is pushing it for a humane kill on elk at 250, as the energy has dropped to 1000-1500 ft lbs. Inside of 100yds and it hits harder than a 30.06

Last edited:

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    BC5A8438-32BB-4438-9510-3327495A0AA5.png

I know it’s not what you want but I think it’s what that rifle needs.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I've shot my .45-70 out to 300 yards with iron sights (Tang rear (Marbles) and front blade) on paper. It does okay as a hunting round as far as accuracy goes (not ideal but good enough for the primitive cartridge it is). Make sure it has the energy left to do the job when you hit your intended game at those ranges. The .45-70 bullets I've seen and used aren't the most ballistically ideal around but they are heavy.

Know your sight settings, even with a scope, at the various the yardages and the bullet drop for the load(s) you are shooting. Also practice at the temperatures and wind conditions that exist in the area you will be hunting. Bullet drop may change under changes in elevation. Keep records of this information. Know your limitations, in addition to that of your equipment.

I know this is not answering your question, but the best I can offer as I've never seen the need for a scope on my .45-70. I do recommend a fixed power; as most of the time people buy the variable power scopes and leave them on one setting all the time, never taking advantage of that feature. Why pay for a feature if you're not going to use the benefit ?

AFA FFP vs SFP see:

Good luck and let us know your decision and perhaps the why(s).

Last edited:

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I have a Vari-X III 2.5-8 Leupold on my 45-70 Marlin. Between me and my kids, we have at least a dozen of the same scopes, either VariX-III or VX3, on most all our deer guns. It's a good comprise between power, compact and price. I can see the target and crosshairs long after I can't see a deer with the naked eye after sundown.
    The new HD-CDS models have a quick elevation adjustment that would be ideal on the 45-70. It's just a little button that you preset on the elevation turret cap, very simple. I might switch my Vari-X III for the newer VX3 HD model.
    I did a little work on my Marlin and @200 yards it will shoot 2" three shot groups but they're 10" low, sighted @100, shoots 5 shot one hole. I reload the Hornady 325 FTX with Hodgen 335.
    In another thread here I posted pictures and details. At the range and elsewhere I run into guys that have 45-70's and they all sing their praises. Everybody has different loads and bullets but all agree that it's a very accurate cartridge for what its intended. You're welcome to PM me if you need more details.

Last edited:

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I use a fixed 4X on my Marlin guide gun. I’d have to look but I believe it’s one of the cheap Bushnell’s. I put the scope on it, just to try it out and was planning on putting better glass on it later.
    Well this same cheap scope has remained on the rifle for one very unique reason.
    I sighted it in at 50 yards. It hits pretty much at the same point of impact at 100 yards. The scope has duplex crosshairs, and if I hold at where the crosshairs go from thin to thick, it’s just the right holdover for my handloads at 200 yards. Talk about dumb luck! I’ll never get that lucky again, and that’s why the cheap scope stays on this gun.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    The 2.5-8 VX3 Leupold is compact with full, no-compromise optics, not much bigger than a 4X. I'm not sure if anyone is making a quality 4X rifle scope anymore. For me, there's times in thick woods I find 4X too big for close up work. I leave my scope on 2.5 most of the time and a simple twist to the right for longer shots if needed. 8X is plenty good for 200 yards.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    i put a 3x9x40 nikon bdc muzzleloader scope on my new henry ( won it in a gun raffle ) but i haven't had a chance to take it to the range , ( had the scope laying around , figured why not ? )

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Open sites aint happening, those days are long over for these old eyes.

I guess I am re-thinking my max distance,, sounds like 200 yds is a hard stop.

I have taken well over 50 deer with my 20ga USH topped with a 2-7x32 Nikon.
    I typ sit with it on 2x and leave it there for anything under 50 yds, then crank it 1/2 way up for 50-70yds, and upto 7X for 70+ yds.
    I am thinking a 4X is to much for under 30-40 yds and not enough for 100-200 yds?

Thanks for all the insight,, still learning

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The 2.5-8 VX3 Leupold is compact with full, no-compromise optics, not much bigger than a 4X. I'm not sure if anyone is making a quality 4X rifle scope anymore. For me, there's times in thick woods I find 4X too big for close up work. I leave my scope on 2.5 most of the time and a simple twist to the right for longer shots if needed. 8X is plenty good for 200 yards.

This scope would be my choice as well, and for the very same reasons. Small, light, and sturdy, this scope has very good optical clarity. Set it at 2.5 when hunting, and field of view is excellent. Should you find you need greater magnification, it's there, and you'll usually have sufficient time to dial up. The reverse oftentimes isn't true.

All rifle scopes are a compromise. Me, I'll take a wider field of view over an increase in magnification in a hunting scope here in the eastern woods, all day every day. And 8x if needed will more than capture viable ranges with that cartridge.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I have a Vortex 2X7 Scout on my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun. It shoots Hornady Leverevolution 325 grain pretty well.

Attachments

• E53CB3E8-4D15-4BE0-AC77-105649289C61.jpeg
      E53CB3E8-4D15-4BE0-AC77-105649289C61.jpeg
      347.6 KB · Views: 72
    • 45B038E5-4483-4A00-BD53-DED514FA9E1A.jpeg
      45B038E5-4483-4A00-BD53-DED514FA9E1A.jpeg
      62.5 KB · Views: 82

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I think you‘re putting the cart before the horse.

Before the picking your glass, I think you need to answer want rifle and what bullet.

45-70 ballistics will vary between 16” - 32” barrels and 300 to 500 grain bullets, 45-70 vs 45-70 Magnum, FN vs Spitzer vs Hornady FTX Leverevolution

Henry or Rugmar 1895 SBL 16” Carbine vs 1895 Octagon vs Ruger No.1/3 vs Sharps

And let’s throw in another variable, barrel rifling. If you ever shot an old Marlin with the MicroGroove vs the later Ballard rifling then you quickly see the importance of rifling on your range and accuracy

So what Lever action and barrel length?

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    I’m running a Leupold VX-Freedom Rifle Scope 3-9x40mm CDS, with a simple duplex reticle. Stayed under $400 for glass and rings. I am going to chrono with the hunting load I use and get the custom turret ring from Leupold, just didn’t have time to do it before this past hunting season. This is on a Marlin 1895 GBL.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    I think you‘re putting the cart before the horse.

Before the picking your glass, I think you need to answer want rifle and what bullet.

45-70 ballistics will vary between 16” - 32” barrels and 300 to 500 grain bullets, 45-70 vs 45-70 Magnum, FN vs Spitzer vs Hornady FTX Leverevolution

Henry or Rugmar 1895 SBL 16” Carbine vs 1895 Octagon vs Ruger No.1/3 vs Sharps

And let’s throw in another variable, barrel rifling. If you ever shot an old Marlin with the MicroGroove vs the later Ballard rifling then you quickly see the importance of rifling on your range and accuracy

So what Lever action and barrel length?
    "The Plan" is new rifle, "Most likely" a Henry 45-70,, I HATE the mega loop and the hammer block safety on the new Marlins.
    So it would be a 18.5", 1:20 barrel.
    I have already come to grips with keeping shots at 200 yards or less on the Elk.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    "The Plan" is new rifle, "Most likely" a Henry 45-70,, I HATE the mega loop and the hammer block safety on the new Marlins.
    So it would be a 18.5", 1:20 barrel.
    I have already come to grips with keeping shots at 200 yards or less on the Elk.

Never shot a Henry in 45-70 but looking at their specs, that’s an excellent choice and given Hornady FTX or Buffalo Bore 45-70 Magnum for Levers you should be able to be comfortsble with 200-225yds

Good Luck and can’t wait to see your pics and range report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom