• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How much would you pay per year for an unrestricted MD Carry Permit?

• $0 - I won't pay blackmail money for a right

Votes: 110 43.8%
    • $100 per year seems reasonable

Votes: 84 33.5%
    • $250 per year, a bit high but worth it

Votes: 33 13.1%
    • $500 per year, but not liking it

Votes: 14 5.6%
    • $1000 per year, ridiculous, but I want a permit

Votes: 6 2.4%
    • $1500 or more... just bend me over, Annapolis

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters

Pittbull

Jan 28, 2013
    I carried for 26 years as an Air Marshal. After retiring in Maryland I decided to apply after I was asked to assist in a weekly security job. I have found several outcomes from the experience. The paperwork is very burdensome and often confusing and expensive. Maryland has chosen to lump their conceal-carry application together with many variations which often adds many portions that are not required along with other detailed justifications. In fairness to Maryland State Police, between the politics of anti- Second Amendment politicians, the never-ending search for unstable applicants with a bad history of wrong doing from a State that clearly does not trust its own citizens ( regardless of a clean record and previous training) brings lots of bureaucracy. The final result usually brings a limited license that restricts the applicant to “only”what is applied for ( nothing more). It is quite easy for an applicant to lose their momentum. After all of these obstacles, I found the Maryland State Police to be fair and excellent during this time consuming process. It is very clear to me that Maryland is heavily influenced by Democratic anti-firearm political leadership. Whenever any Nationwide firearm crisis arises, Maryland moves to restrict legal law-abiding citizens. Maryland also repeatedly elects anti-2nd Amendment politicians which adds to confusion.

172pilot

Aug 28, 2010
    $500 for 5 years... give or take.. It's ridiculous to have to pay for your rights, but if their greed will let it progress to that point, I'll pony up the $500, and then let the next step be how the "current law" discriminates against poor people, and we can fight to reduce/eliminate it on that basis..

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Let's see, $300/yr to keep my LLC, $200 in property taxes yearly, $50/5yrs, and $250/5yrs for training.

$2800/5yrs works out to about $550 a year.

If you guys think they're not already doing it, you're wrong. They just found a legal way to do it.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    $212,750.....oh, wait. That's what it cost to find and buy a home, move to and get all the little things like vehicle tags, DL and pistol permit in Free America. 5 year permit was $75.

scottp999

Feb 11, 2008
    Interesting thread. I was in Frederick MD for 40 years and lived a couple other places in MD before. I moved over to WV (eastern panhandle) a couple of months ago, mostly to go where less crowded, lower house cost, prop tax and income tax, and found their carry law as a surprising bonus. Have not carried at all at this point but nice to know its there. I hope you guys get an option that is affordable soon.

It's a moot point since SHALL ISSUE will never become a reality in Maryland with the current make up of the legislature and the current AG...and that's not about to change thanks to the gerrymandered election districts...Yeah I know...Hogan is working on it....don't look for Hogan to win re-election...there are way too many pissed off Trump supporters and just as many lefties who don't see the value of another 4 years of a do-little governor..

JAY1234

Retired Radioman Chief
    Dec 1, 2012
    St Marys County Maryland
    I would suggest the fee should not exceed the actual cost of administering the program. However, Maryland would institute a fee so steep that only the extreme wealthy would be able to afford the CCW and only then if they could successfully hurdle the paperwork and qualifications that a multitude of anti second amendment bureaucrats would design.

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    If Maryland were to move to a "shall issue" structure, but decided to turn it into a revenue generator (as they do with most things), how much would you theoretically pony up on an annual basis to be able to legally carry concealed without restriction and without the need for G&S?

The Constitution says we don't need their ****** tax permit.
    .:sad20:

kehvN

Dec 28, 2012
    Harford County
    Pay to drive already...

Since I feel that I have a basic right of movement and am already forced to pay for a liscense, insurance, and vehicle inspection/registration...

I’ve voted that $100/yr seems reasonable. Anything more would be ridiculous. At least with some minimal fee there could be an argument that any bureaucratic financial burden could be alleviated.

I favor a basic right of open carry with no permit required, and a restricted/regulated/permitted right to concealed carry. Under the current state constitution I have concerns and also favor legislative action to create real and permanent rights under Maryland’s constitution.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    I certainly agree with the sentiment expressed here that we should not have to pay to exercise our rights...and related services.
    Voting. Carrying. Schools. Fire and police. Etc.

But, reality is that nothing is something for nothing...and tips for free.

Not unreasonable to pay as we go.

Sure $100 a year works for me for unrestricted.

There may be a way to offer reduced fee for more limited carry - worth thinking about it.

But never, ever, never a cost for a license to possess at home without intent to carry off property other than as already permitted.

Home possession, unrestricted and unlicensed, within the current context of Federal law, is absolutely the red line.

Obviously, we have much fighting to do to restore the rights as originally I tended but eroded in some cases by well-meaning but ignorant souls, but mostly by lesser politically prostituted creatures.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I carried for 26 years as an Air Marshal. After retiring in Maryland I decided to apply after I was asked to assist in a weekly security job. I have found several outcomes from the experience. The paperwork is very burdensome and often confusing and expensive. Maryland has chosen to lump their conceal-carry application together with many variations which often adds many portions that are not required along with other detailed justifications. In fairness to Maryland State Police, between the politics of anti- Second Amendment politicians, the never-ending search for unstable applicants with a bad history of wrong doing from a State that clearly does not trust its own citizens ( regardless of a clean record and previous training) brings lots of bureaucracy. The final result usually brings a limited license that restricts the applicant to “only”what is applied for ( nothing more). It is quite easy for an applicant to lose their momentum. After all of these obstacles, I found the Maryland State Police to be fair and excellent during this time consuming process. It is very clear to me that Maryland is heavily influenced by Democratic anti-firearm political leadership. Whenever any Nationwide firearm crisis arises, Maryland moves to restrict legal law-abiding citizens. Maryland also repeatedly elects anti-2nd Amendment politicians which adds to confusion.

So when did you start with the FAA?

What year did you apply and under what reason? LEO unrestricted carry or for an armed position with a security company?

Last edited:

SchulzeCH

Jan 31, 2009
    Harford Co
    Since Maryland’s Constitution is silent on keeping and bearing arms the US Constitution controls. The government does have the right to reasonably regulate public safety. Cost associated with CCW should then cover the government’s administrative expenses. Since gun owners interested in CCW are a small group making revenue production negligible. My answer, hypothetically speaking, Should a fee be required it should be reasonable for citizens to afford.

AmericanMedic

Jan 29, 2013
    Scaggsville, MD
    If Maryland were to move to a "shall issue" structure, but decided to turn it into a revenue generator (as they do with most things), how much would you theoretically pony up on an annual basis to be able to legally carry concealed without restriction and without the need for G&S?
    I shy away from attaching a prohibitive price to any legislation, as it only would perpetuate the system we already have. I know many Maryland carry possessors, but they are the ones with the money for starting a business and fabricating large amounts of money transferred and establishing legal counsel to so all of this. It already is legal and not that difficult if you have connections and money.

Making Maryland shall issue a cost based item will make it a socioeconomic nightmare and will likely lead to more self harm to the gun lobby when numbers come out that poor black people in cities are disproportionately under representative of the carrying population even though they stand the most to gain from self defense benefits. Why wouldn't they? Because any cost is too much cost. The poor are already not paying for their insulin, their kids, their light bill. This is just not something even remotely on their radar.

Let's be honest here. Most of the people on this forum are probably (a guess) white guys from not Baltimore City or PG County or Takoma Park and if we're making the self defense stand on this, it isn't going to show numbers in areas where violent crime is already nil, particularly with white men as victims.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Since Maryland’s Constitution is silent on keeping and bearing arms the US Constitution controls. The government does have the right to reasonably regulate public safety. Cost associated with CCW should then cover the government’s administrative expenses. Since gun owners interested in CCW are a small group making revenue production negligible. My answer, hypothetically speaking, Should a fee be required it should be reasonable for citizens to afford.

This the correct answer.

hawkhuff

Aug 15, 2012
    Carroll County, MD
    Huge Fees for a Constitutional Right?

One hundred dollars per year? More?

First, I would question what the state would do with that revenue. Our drivers license and registration fees are supposed to go for highway infrastructure and the state lottery dollars toward the so called education of Marylanders. Both collections I'm sure amount to hundreds of millions of dollars for each. If this is the case why are there still so many serious traffic problems? Why is the cost of education so sky high with horrible test scores as our "return" on our investment? Why are our kids strapped with stifling debt for the cost of higher education some who, as a result of this debt, may never realize the American dream of property and home ownership? Bear in mind this is a government run system of so called education. Those are just two examples that come to mind.

Second, maybe there aren't a lot of people on this forum who fit this category but I for one see the exorbitant fees of $100, $250, or more each year to be outrageous and ridiculous in the very least. Why would it cost so much? This would price many right out of the right to gun ownership and the right to carry. Is it because guns do such bad things or because guns have a bad reputation? Uh, it's not the gun that is at issue, it is the handler and the overwhelming number of handlers are good law abiding ones. So, all of that bad rep is plain BS especially when one looks at the number of traffic fatalities we have each year and still people are given the privilege to drive on our roads.

I have no problem paying a fee but why should it cost so much, is it a punishment? One hundred or five hundred dollars each year is a lot of money for most of us working class slobs to pay for something that is a Constitutional right in these United States.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    One hundred dollars per year? More?

First, I would question what the state would do with that revenue. Our drivers license and registration fees are supposed to go for highway infrastructure and the state lottery dollars toward the so called education of Marylanders. Both collections I'm sure amount to hundreds of millions of dollars for each. If this is the case why are there still so many serious traffic problems? Why is the cost of education so sky high with horrible test scores as our "return" on our investment? Why are our kids strapped with stifling debt for the cost of higher education some who, as a result of this debt, may never realize the American dream of property and home ownership? Bear in mind this is a government run system of so called education. Those are just two examples that come to mind.

Second, maybe there aren't a lot of people on this forum who fit this category but I for one see the exorbitant fees of $100, $250, or more each year to be outrageous and ridiculous in the very least. Why would it cost so much? This would price many right out of the right to gun ownership and the right to carry. Is it because guns do such bad things or because guns have a bad reputation? Uh, it's not the gun that is at issue, it is the handler and the overwhelming number of handlers are good law abiding ones. So, all of that bad rep is plain BS especially when one looks at the number of traffic fatalities we have each year and still people are given the privilege to drive on our roads.

I have no problem paying a fee but why should it cost so much, is it a punishment? One hundred or five hundred dollars each year is a lot of money for most of us working class slobs to pay for something that is a Constitutional right in these United States.

Maryland wants to make firearm ownership burdensome.

The fees increase that burdensomeness.

After enough burden has been applied, many folks won't buy guns.

Fewer guns bought, means fewer guns in Maryland.

Fewer guns in Maryland, means fewer gun shops in Maryland.

The MGA is a collection of highly corrupt and morally deficient potted plants. But they aren't stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom