• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LANDFORGOTTEN

Sep 28, 2012
    WA state
    There just is so much to read in this website. I am really looking into Knife/Dagger/Sword collecting.

I have seen Cold Steel. What are some of your favorite or the best? How about you all help me out with your top three site/manufactures...

Thanks!!!

I own some Bucks, my friend used to work there in the 90's in Santee, CA and one Gerber folder...

Last edited:

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Well Kershaw and Benchmade both make good stuff and mostly here in the US. Then there's SOG, CKRT, and Gerber, but they all make a fair bit of their stuff overseas. Buck started to move overseas but is now moving back. Oh and everyone should have a Ka-bar.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Why are you a dumbass? :confused:

The only knife from Cold Steel I would ever consider owning (again) would be a 90s US made Carbon V TrailMaster. Brass hilt and leather sheath.

Give us a little more info on what you'll use these knives for. Your price range and so on.

:thumbsup:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If you like a serrated edge, nobody makes them better than Spyderco.

LocknLoad

Jun 27, 2008
    Howard Co
    You should check out Jerzee devils. A great group of knife collectors. Spyderco, Benchmade....good. Cold Steel....not so much. IMO.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    You should check out Jerzee devils. A great group of knife collectors. Spyderco, Benchmade....good. Cold Steel....not so much. IMO.

Better yet... bladeforums.com

But, I also feel we have enough knowledge/experience in this group to give good advice.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Do you want production , semi custom , custom and how deep are your pockets ? lol

Do you want to collect a specific type , specific era like WWII edged weapons .

There are alot of different directions you can go in collecting blades . Stay away from most of the flea market / ren fair junk .

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    There just is so much to read in this website. I am really looking into Knife/Dagger/Sword collecting.

I have seen Cold Steel. What are some of your favorite or the best? How about you all help me out with your top three site/manufactures...

Thanks!!!

I own some Bucks, my friend used to work there in the 90's in Santee, CA and one Gerber folder...

Just go with whatever you like, I prefer big folding knives so Cold Steel is definitely one of my favorites.
    Also have some knives made by Kershaw, Gerber, Buck, Spyderco, Emerson, Benchmade, CRKT, SOG, Microtech, Zero Tolerance, Bradley, Essee, Ontario, Camillus, Remington, Smith and Wesson, Kabar, Boker, Bear and Sons, Case, etc., some models are better than others but if I like it for whatever reason I tend to buy it.
    www.Ebay.com is one of the best places to get edged weapons of all sorts. www.Bladeplay.com is another great place.
    My knife addiction started when I was a teenager and I've never looked back.

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    Cold steel is a fine company. I have a 4" Ti-lite that I EDC. When I lived in MD I carried the 6". Ohio frowns on that sort of thing. Their sword collection isn't too shabby. They're not fancy, but they'll cut stuff well. For fixed blades you could check out Ontario Knives. They're not too bad price wise, but excellent quality wise. I have an SP6 Fighter that I love. For "real" swords, check out sword-buyers-guide.com there's a wealth of info on what to look for in a potential blade. They also review some popular models. The videos of cutting waterbottles and such are really entertaining. Cold Steel also has a series of videos you can find on Youtube where they take their swords and knives and such and cut things with them. Meat, rope, boards, and cardboard. It's also really entertaining.
    You're entering into an expensive hobby with collecting blades. It's worse than firearms because you can order them online.

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    I love my Cold Steel 4" Ti-Lite. The opening action from the pocket is worth it alone. The lock on the blade is pretty damn solid. I've put the things through some torture and it's still solid as an anvil.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Guns shows are another great place to get edged weapons, the best thing about them is you can handle the products first but prices can be a little higher than ebay.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    Craiglist is a good place for an occasional find. I traded an almost 10 year old, 13 pound laptop computer for a Benchmade auto. I'm not really a collector but I have a few knives. Benchmade, Spyderco, Cold Steel, Ka-Bar, I even like SOG...all are good. Gerber is ok too (IMHO). I even have an old S&W "SWAT" knife that I paid $20 in 1998 and up until just a couple years ago, it was still holding strong. It was actually a pretty good knife.
    Had a CRKT that I bought in 2003 before shipping off to Iraq. Paid $150 for it and should have just cut out the middle man and flushed my cash down the crapper. I've never seen a more poorly constructed knife ever. Within a month it was covered in rust from all the sweat (kept it clipped on my pocket). Blade was loose, knife would open periodically (blade would just fall out). I finally got so disgusted with it that I removed it from my pocket once on a convoy and just threw it as far into the Tigris river as I could. Good riddance to that crap.
    If you're into tri blade pocket knives, Hen and Rooster are good. So is German Eye.

Trogdor

Nov 13, 2011
    It depends what you're looking for and what you want to spend. Most of my knives that get worked a lot tend to be spyderco and cold steel. I carry a rajah 2 everyday for defensive purposes and usually something smaller for utility uses. I have a few high end knives but they are mostly just play toys as I usually lose my knives instead of breaking them.

Dave67

Oct 31, 2012
    Ka-Bar Becker BK7 my main go to knife, but not good for EDC, I rely on Spyderco folders for that. Cold Steel makes some good stuff, just have to watch it. The stuff made in Twain wasn't bad the new Chain made isn't as good.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    I love my Cold Steel 4" Ti-Lite. The opening action from the pocket is worth it alone. The lock on the blade is pretty damn solid. I've put the things through some torture and it's still solid as an anvil.

I always found the wave opening feature not as effective as my Endura Wave or even a zip-tie wave.

The back flipper is just about useless.

The stock thumbstud tears the hell out of your thumb. However, I ended up getting some washers to raise the height and wrapping it in black gaffers tape. It's much more effective now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom