• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    If you want the best, I, and many others, would say go Chris Reeve. The Sebenza is nice for everyday carry and usage and quite customizable. The Umnumzaan is one of the or the finest 'tactical' folders ever made although CRK doesn't play the 'tactical' marketing games that other companies do because there is no question on the Umnumzaan's capability. The current S35VN steel is excellent in a sense of it is easy to sharpen, extremely tough and impact resistent, and good at resisting corrosion. It holds a decent edge, but favors the above traits over edge retention. If you want a knife you can abuse, the Umnumzaan is it.

ZT and Strider make very nice knives that can withstand incredible usage and abuse, but their practicality is somewhat limited due to weight and I don't find Stider's flat ground blades to be as useful as a hollow grind personally.

Spyderco and Benchmade make some great stuff, and certain Kershaw models are also excellent. In their respective price points, they are hard to beat and I own a ton of Spydercos and Benchmades. If you like to collect, the limited editions that both companies make are absolutely incredible. I have a few Gold Class Benchmades and they are stunning and amazing. I have a few Benchmade Forum Knives as well which are really the heart and soul of Benchmade's appreciation of their customers given they do not make much money on these limited runs and they do them for the purpose of giving their biggest fans something very special. Both companies also use some very exotic steels with amazing properties...ex: CPM-M4, M2HSS, ZDP-189, S90V, H1, O1, S7, 3V, etc. The Spyderco Delica/Endura and Benchmade Griptilian/Mini Grip are probably the finest inexpensive knives made ever. Emerson also makes great knives.

If you like autos, Benchmade and Protech are winning. Microtech has made some amazing designs and their Double Action autos (MTX-2, Terzuola, Lightfoot, etc.) are the finest of their types ever made (they haven't made them in 10 years) but the founder is a little crazy, their production supply is unpredictable, and they have had a few quality issues on and off. Still, the HALO, Ultratech, Troodon, UTX-70, Scarab, and Makora are some of the most innovative OTF autos made and the UDT/LUDT/MUDT is one of the finest side-opening autos. Benchmade's Infidel is also an OTF of notable quality, but it is a pure work knife as opposed to many of the Microtechs designed more cosmetically speaking. Benchmade's Gold Class Infidel is an absolute work of art (had one and I regret having to sell it).

If you like balis, Benchmade is awesome, there are tons of great small makers, and Microtech once products a titanium bali which is one of the best ever made (again, only made for one run despite huge demand).

If you like serious show knives, William Henry Studios have produced some absolutely insane things with insane materials (at insane prices).

But again if you want the best hands down, CRK all the way IMO. I've owned over 700 folding knives of both custom and brand makers. Even when I get a new knife I am excited about, after a few days I go back to a Sebenza for light/office carry and an Umnumzaan for outdoor usage. The true yardstick of a folding knife has been the CRK Sebenza for the past few decades and, thus far, I am yet to find anything better. To most people, $300-$1,000 on a folding knife sounds insane. To those who own them, it's a different story and one of those things you have to experience first hand to understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom