• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I would have used JB weld and a Miad full kit....twice. I mean my friend would have, yea my friend:o. It has held on both of them. One of them I use for multi-gun so it gets used pretty hard.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Did you try that with or without the grip installed? I have installed dozens upon dozens of LRPKs and switched out a lot of trigger guards, and I have yet to break one. I always use a roll pin punch and Brownells nylon bench block (as instructed in the Brownells AR-15 armorer's course I attended).

With the grip removed you can lay the trigger guard area on the block nice and flat so it has full support. The trigger guard itself also supports the ears. May have just been a bad lower as you said. With any mass-produced item like this you're going to get flaws. I've seen cast, MIM and even forged parts break for no apparent reason when stressed. Remember metal has a crystalline structure and can be affected by any number of things during its manufacture such as impurities in the alloying metals, improper proportion of alloying metals, improper heat treatment, stress due to machining or forging, etc.

That sucks you broke it off, hope you get it all straightened out. :)

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Any pics of the repaired/finished product/work?

It is not finished yet, but I will certainly post pics of the repair when it's done!

I would have used JB weld and a Miad full kit....twice. I mean my friend would have, yea my friend:o. It has held on both of them. One of them I use for multi-gun so it gets used pretty hard.

Lol. Good to hear the JB weld has held up. Chad told me flat out it wasn't going to be nearly as strong as the original receiver and wasn't necessarily recommended, but since I am not going to use the ear, and it is almost purely for cosmetic reasons, I decided the JB weld was what I wanted to do.

I have looked at examples of other ARs where they just filed off the other ear and re-anodized...etc...but idk, I like the look of having both ears better. Regardless, I'm not going to use the ear. I understand that doesn't mean there are NO stresses on it (still have recoil of the rifle, drops, etc) but I figured if its just for cosmetic reasons I'd give the JB weld a shot.

The Miad full kit is no longer made, so I was going to use a Stark grip...but thank god chad had one and was nice enough to trade, because those Stark grips are UGLY.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Any pics of the repaired/finished product/work?

Here it is! Finally got it back. I have to say, honestly, while looking at it I couldnt remember which side broke off. Chad did amazing work. I will post pictures of both sides. He was also nice enough to trade me his MIAD w/ integral trigger guard so I didn't have to put stress on the reattached ears. But, seriously, check these out, and see if you can tell!

Btw the pictures suck. They don't do it justice.

DSC_0520.jpg

DSC_0519.jpg

Looks much better in person. But, awesome job, thanks again sir!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks for the pics my friend. BTW, I found the extra backstraps so next time your in the area just stop by scotts. I left them on my bench in case Im not there when you come by. Theres a few backstraps and some frontstraps.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That turned out very nice!

I've been going back and forth between the before/after, and I have to say I'd be hard-pressed to say 'that's been repaired' if I hadn't have known about it.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Thanks for the pics my friend. BTW, I found the extra backstraps so next time your in the area just stop by scotts. I left them on my bench in case Im not there when you come by. Theres a few backstraps and some frontstraps.

OK thanks ill drop by on the way back from bass pro. Ill take some better pictures and email them to you if you want them for whatever reason. Much appreciate it.

That turned out very nice!

I've been going back and forth between the before/after, and I have to say I'd be hard-pressed to say 'that's been repaired' if I hadn't have known about it.

Yep!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    OK thanks ill drop by on the way back from bass pro. Ill take some better pictures and email them to you if you want them for whatever reason. Much appreciate it.

Yep!

If they act confused if im not there tell them its on the shelf at my bench in a ziploc baggie. There is 2 FDE backstraps and a few frontstraps.

Its no charge, I used a bag that had a pricetag on it to keep it together.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    If they act confused if im not there tell them its on the shelf at my bench in a ziploc baggie. There is 2 FDE backstraps and a few frontstraps.

Its no charge, I used a bag that had a pricetag on it to keep it together.

Picked em up. I was wondering about the price tag too, lol. I had thought they were the ones that came with the grip you gave me but then wasn't sure if maybe you ordered them for me. I figured it out though, lol.

I shouldn't have gone in there today. Scott came out and started showing me those three Arsenals you got in with the sidefolder stocks...and then we talked about suppressors. :sad20: Looks like I'll need to go to Rusty Shackelford and set up a trust...shi*. I need to make more money. I want a few suppressors and one of those Arsenals now.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Picked em up. I was wondering about the price tag too, lol. I had thought they were the ones that came with the grip you gave me but then wasn't sure if maybe you ordered them for me. I figured it out though, lol.

I shouldn't have gone in there today. Scott came out and started showing me those three Arsenals you got in with the sidefolder stocks...and then we talked about suppressors. :sad20: Looks like I'll need to go to Rusty Shackelford and set up a trust...shi*. I need to make more money. I want a few suppressors and one of those Arsenals now.

Yeah I can set that thing up with a YHM suppressor. ;):D Rusty will take care of you. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom