• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I recently shot a sporting clays course and hit 22 out of 50 clays. I am using a Browning Citori CXS with 30" barrel. Shot at the same place with my Remington 870 pump several years ago and did much better (probably hit 80% of the targets). I spent $2K on the Citori plus $200 some odd to have it "fitted".

Will consider any recommendations for a pro to get me back on track. Not sure if the Browning needs to be replaced or if it's me or both.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    What is your 870's barrel length. What is the weight of your 870 vs the Citori? Have you shot both in the same session at the range, shooting the same ammo?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    That's a good gun. Was this your first outing with it? Was the last time you shot a shotgun several years ago? I'd go back to the guy who fitted you first.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Patterning it is a good idea. When I started shooting trap with my FIL, I barely hit anything. Then he told me the gun shot a foot high (Browning Lightening). Then I was hitting them well.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I recently shot a sporting clays course and hit 22 out of 50 clays. I am using a Browning Citori CXS with 30" barrel. Shot at the same place with my Remington 870 pump several years ago and did much better (probably hit 80% of the targets). I spent $2K on the Citori plus $200 some odd to have it "fitted".

Will consider any recommendations for a pro to get me back on track. Not sure if the Browning needs to be replaced or if it's me or both.

Because you have a new gun, I would simply suggest you keep it moving and follow through then determine if an improvement occurs.
    Have an observer let you know what they see/determine from watching then work from there.
    Last week I shot a course with a full choked gun and did relatively well.
    I think any misses were from not having my feet placed correctly, and stopping the swing prematurely. I also think a 3/4 choke would have been a more optimum selection for a few of the stations but not all.
    For me, making sure the toe of the buttstock is consistently placed is a big help too.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I used modified choke in the 870 and light modified in the lower barrel and modified in the upper barrel of the Citori O/U; The lower barrel firing first.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA

Location?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Come up to Littlestown F&G next Saturday 9 am for Sporting-bring the Citori--plenty of advice there-some of it good-some not so good-also plenty of ridicule if you like. Then head down to the MDS meet up at PubDog at noon---make a full day of it

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    Next time you're at AGC, walk across the drive to the patterning range. Seriously, would we complain about not hitting at 100 yards with a rifle we hadn't zeroed? Nevermind, this is MDS.

wpage

Ultimate Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    Southern Delaware
    Did you buy the Citori used? If so ask the prior if the gun shoots off. Otherwise patterning is a fine place to see if the barrels or chokes may be the problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom