• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    How do I get to Carnegie Hall??? Practice practice practice!
    I think practicing incorrectly or practicing often doesn't guarantee better performance. Practicing perfectly makes a performance perfect. Our results are directly related to how hard we strive for perfection. Practicing to practice is relative to our own expectations and the result from such is the product.
    Stopping your swing?
    Lifting your head?
    Using the wrong eye?
    Fundamental concepts, I agree.
    Although I would say vision and the ability to quickly focus-refocus on moving targets is a plus for those that retain the ability to do so quickly.
    I think the benefit of good vision masks deficits in the fundamentals of any shooting sport.

Now pardon me all, time to go embarrass myself with a special dainty 20 ga sxs shotgun I control.
    My results will be exactly what i put into it for practicing correctly, which has not been an awful lot, and how well I maintain the fundamentals while doing so.
    Probably not that much after the first round either. ;)

EXIT WOUND

Sep 22, 2011
    Most of the time a shooter will find that he/she is shooting over and behind that elusive little target. I own a Browning Ultra o/u and it shoots high by design, but my model is a trap gun. Never shot the csx so you really need to pattern it, and for sure have someone watch your movement to see where you are when firing. Once you get that figured out, you'll be smoking those little saucers.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    When you were fitted, what was needing correction? Eye not inline with the rib/beads? Eye too high or low based on comb hight, facial structure, stance and mount?

The CXS is designed to shoot relatively flat assuming the beads are inline. How much rib do you see between the beads? A little, a lot, none. That can give you an idea of how high it might be shooting. These are all generalities based on where the gun shoots if say it was in a rest. Patterning can help but can also make you crazy if you “know” it’s off to the left or right some but can be a good shooter once everything else falls in line.

You should be looking at the target and not the beads but they can help make sure you have a consistent mount. Stance and mount can change where a gun shoots as well so unless you have a repeatable setup, you will be chasing your tail.

Stock fitters Bible by Rollin Oswald is a good read. He used to post replies to questions on Shotgunworld. Not sure if he is still around. I read that book before I had a basic fitting for a trap gun I once had so I could understand what was being suggested.

I’m also a believe in using a tight choke to get a better feel on where I’m hitting. If I chip a target ahead or behind it tells me more than if I get a lucky hit with a more open choke.

I’m no expert, just a casual shooter that went down a rabbit hole a few years ago.

Pictaker

Mar 7, 2008
    Central MD
    I used modified choke in the 870 and light modified in the lower barrel and modified in the upper barrel of the Citori O/U; The lower barrel firing first.
    Try improved modify in the lower, full in the top. Lower barrel firing first. I have the same gun and that is my set up. The CXS shoots 50/50.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    When you were fitted, what was needing correction? Eye not inline with the rib/beads? Eye too high or low based on comb hight, facial structure, stance and mount?

The CXS is designed to shoot relatively flat assuming the beads are inline. How much rib do you see between the beads? A little, a lot, none. That can give you an idea of how high it might be shooting. These are all generalities based on where the gun shoots if say it was in a rest. Patterning can help but can also make you crazy if you “know” it’s off to the left or right some but can be a good shooter once everything else falls in line.

You should be looking at the target and not the beads but they can help make sure you have a consistent mount. Stance and mount can change where a gun shoots as well so unless you have a repeatable setup, you will be chasing your tail.

Stock fitters Bible by Rollin Oswald is a good read. He used to post replies to questions on Shotgunworld. Not sure if he is still around. I read that book before I had a basic fitting for a trap gun I once had so I could understand what was being suggested.

I’m also a believe in using a tight choke to get a better feel on where I’m hitting. If I chip a target ahead or behind it tells me more than if I get a lucky hit with a more open choke.

I’m no expert, just a casual shooter that went down a rabbit hole a few years ago.

It's a bit worse but not that bad.
    You really need to answer the questions above before anyone can offer any solid advice.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    At this point if you want to improve it may help to spend the money on a few lessons with a professional instructor, since you go to PG I can recommend Rhys Arthur, he will do a 1 on 1 and most likely figure out what you are doing and teach you how to improve. Shooting Star Shotgun Sports is his company.

/

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    Guesses: You may have developed cross-dominant vision. Higher target comb might have you shooting over. Practice and instruction can't hurt. The CSX is a nice gun, hope you get it figured out.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yeah it's me. Both produce about the same poor results (870 and Citori CSX). My clays shooting has gone to hell in a hand basket.
    This is what I was going to ask. If you had just shot in the 40's with the 870 the week before and then your score fell into the 20's with the new Citori, there might be a problem. However, if it has been a while since you shot, problem might be you.

I shot a 32 the last time I was out, which was in June. I am used to shooting in the low 40's. I was using the same gun I always use, so I knew the issue was me.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    When I was fitted, the pro recommended a pad on the stock to raise my cheek, which we added.

Do you know why the pad was added? What problem was being solved? If you’re not sure that’s fine, I’m just pointing out that it’s helpful to know why changes are suggested or made.

I agree spending a few bucks one on one with a coach at PG or Loch Raven would probably do wonders.

This may not apply to you but in my case, I didn’t grow up shooting shotguns at moving targets. I came to it later in life and it took awhile for me to “get it”. And by get it, I mean hitting way more targets than I miss when I shoot on a regular basis. And doing so comfortably without pain.

I’ve seen people show up with whatever gun, high velocity shells, and they just look uncomfortable. I know they will be sore for days afterwords.

If you just want to bust some clays to get ready to hunt, I get it. But if you want to shoot targets on a regular basis to the tune of a couple/few hundred shells in an afternoon, it’s possible once you get your stance, mount and fit dialed in.

Also, assuming a 12 gauge, 1oz or 1 1/8 oz shells under 1200 fps is plenty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom