• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Shooter

Nov 28, 2010
    A.A. Co
    I recently had a regulated firearm transfered to me through the MSP as a gift. do I still have the 30 day wait until I can purchase another regulated firearm?

Ultimate Member
    I recently had a regulated firearm transfered to me through the MSP as a gift. do I still have the 30 day wait until I can purchase another regulated firearm?

It is when you took possession of it. Take your pink copy with the yes and no circles and carefully read the one at the bottom where it asks "have you taken possession of a regulate firearm in they last 30 days?"

Then goto the MSP site and fill out the waiver for becoming a "Designated Collector of Regulated Firearms." Once you fill this out, have it notarized and mail it it, you'll get a letter back from MSP that exempts you from buying one regulated gun every 30 days. This way you can answer N/A to that since it will not apply to you. You can fill out paper work -7 days before your 30 are up and because of the waiter period you'll take possession in 30 days so 30 days becomes something like 21 days depending on business days.

do this ASAP and never worry about the stupid 30 days http://www.mdsp.org/Downloads/Collector_Application_Affidavit.pdf

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Yes. One regulated guns per month
    Free or not. Unless someone can correct me.

Yes, I'd be happy to ;)... it's not transfers... it's purchases. I don't feel like looking it up, but the law is very specific. Only purchases are regulated to once every 30 days. Transfers are not purchases. I can't remember who told me the other day that the "law didn't matter." Clearly, it does.

Mark

PS - Cite your sources...

§ 5-128. Purchases within 30 days - In general.

(a) Scope of subsection.- Subsection (b) of this section does not apply to:

(1) a law enforcement agency;
    (2) an agency authorized to perform law enforcement duties;
    (3) a State or local correctional facility;
    (4) a private security company licensed to do business in the State;
    (5) the purchase of an antique firearm;
    (6) a purchase by a licensee;
    (7) the exchange or replacement of a regulated firearm by a seller for a regulated firearm purchased from the seller by the same person seeking the exchange or replacement within 30 days immediately before the exchange or replacement; or
    (8) a person whose regulated firearm is stolen or irretrievably lost and who considers it essential that the regulated firearm be replaced immediately, if:

(i) the person provides the licensee with a copy of the official police report or an official summary of the report, a copy of which shall be attached to the firearm application;

(ii) the official police report or official summary of the report contains the name and address of the regulated firearm owner, a description of the regulated firearm, the location of the loss or theft, the date of the loss or theft, and the date when the loss or theft was reported to the law enforcement agency; and

(iii) the loss or theft occurred within 30 days before the person's attempt to replace the regulated firearm, as reflected by the date of loss or theft on the official police report or official summary of the report.

(b) One purchase limit.- A person may not purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period. Purchase NOT TRANSFER, it makes a difference!!!

(c) On hold and disapproved applications.- A licensee or other person may not sell, rent, or transfer a regulated firearm to a firearm applicant whose firearm application is placed on hold because of an open disposition of criminal proceedings against the firearm applicant or disapproved, unless the hold or disapproval has been subsequently withdrawn by the Secretary or overruled by a court in accordance with § 5-127 of this subtitle.

(d) Penalty.- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $5,000 or both.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Can the transfer of a regulated firearm be conducted between two family members?
    Yes, this type of transaction is considered a gift. The law stipulates, if the regulated firearm is a gift to the purchaser’s, spouse, parent, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, or child, the recipient shall:
    (1) Complete an application to purchase or transfer a regulated firearm; and
    (2) Forward the application to the Secretary of the State Police within 5 days after receipt of the regulated firearm
    http://www.mdgunsafety.com/mspfaq.htm

dont know whats the process.. but once they fill out the application.. it will be in the system. now the question is.. do they consider it purchase?!?

i have a friend to filled out an application and decided to cancel it the next day. he found a new gun he wanted the following week. fill out the application and came back that he has to wait 30 days. no firearms where transfered but it still in the system that he "applied" for one.:innocent0

to the OP. give it a try.. purchase a regulated gun and see.. you may get it within the 7 day or 30 days after.;)

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    ...Then goto the MSP site and fill out the waiver for becoming a "Designated Collector of Regulated Firearms." Once you fill this out, have it notarized and mail it it, you'll get a letter back from MSP that exempts you from buying one regulated gun every 30 days. This way you can answer N/A to that since it will not apply to you...do this ASAP and never worry about the stupid 30 days http://www.mdsp.org/Downloads/Collector_Application_Affidavit.pdf

This. :party29:

I did my collector application after my first purchase and it's been a godsend in this messed up state. Huzzah to buying multiple stripped AR lowers, a pistol and getting my NODAK AK receivers transfered...on the same day.

Ultimate Member

I did my collector application after my first purchase and it's been a godsend in this messed up state. Huzzah to buying multiple stripped AR lowers, a pistol and getting my NODAK AK receivers transfered...on the same day.

the only problem is you can now bankrupt yourself buying buys. but in most cases your retirement accounts and gun collection can't be touched in bankruptcy court :)

Ultimate Member

Every member on here should be required to fill out the "Designated Regulated Firearms Collector Form" It is also like a background check so if you are one of these **** ups that tries to get guns illegally from members we'll know.

Ultimate Member

Regulated Firearms Collector

ren-and-stimpy-happy-joy.jpg

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Two differnt things. Don't think md will bypass the 30 day wait with the ffl03. Unless you buying c&r firearms.

The 03 FFL covers interstate transactions. Anything in the state of MD is still covered by MD law.

The collector's affadavit removes the 30 day rule from the equation of transactions within MD.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    The 03 FFL covers interstate transactions. Anything in the state of MD is still covered by MD law.

The collector's affadavit removes the 30 day rule from the equation of transactions within MD.
    I got that part. Is buying c&r items still need the 30 day wait or not? That is buying from interstate.
    Sorry don't have ffl03 license and only know few things about it. I need to apply for one myself.
    :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom