• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    One of the glaring holes in my tools is both tools that push, and tools that pull.

I'm going to first focus on the pushing tool because I'll have need for it in the Spring at the Undisclosed Location (tm). I need to reset some of the block piers and I don't trust the cheap Chinesium jack that I bought.

Looking at a US Jacks bottle jack in the 12 ton model
    Amazon product ASIN B00P248GBY
    They make smaller capacity ones, but physically they aren't much smaller, and the price doesn't reflect the reduced capacity.

Is there any logical reason to go with a smaller capacity? Any reason bottle jacks aren't the bees knees?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Bottle jacks are okay, if you can get under what you want to lift, or push.

You might want to add a low profile floor jack to allow you to get under 4x4 skids.

Ratcheting come a longs have always been a godsend.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I don't know much about bottle jacks, and don't particularly trust them, personally. That probably says more about me than the bottle jacks themselves.

As for floor jacks, Project Farm did a great review of them a few weeks back. His testing/reviews are excellent, and he buys all of the products himself.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Boss you'd be amazed how many of the floor issues in my house were fixed with a regular floor jack, bottle jack, and adjustable columns. I used a 12 ton for most of what I needed to do.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    One of the glaring holes in my tools is both tools that push, and tools that pull.

I'm going to first focus on the pushing tool because I'll have need for it in the Spring at the Undisclosed Location (tm). I need to reset some of the block piers and I don't trust the cheap Chinesium jack that I bought.

Looking at a US Jacks bottle jack in the 12 ton model
    Amazon product ASIN B00P248GBY
    They make smaller capacity ones, but physically they aren't much smaller, and the price doesn't reflect the reduced capacity.

Is there any logical reason to go with a smaller capacity? Any reason bottle jacks aren't the bees knees?
    Having used pretty much every type of jack to move/persuade steel into place, move it apart, my advise would be the largest capacity you can afford. if the 12 is what you want, then get it, if they have a 15 in the same size for maybe a little more, then get the 15.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    One other type to add to your inventory is a hi-lift jack.

Sometimes a mechanical Jack is all you need.

Amazon product ASIN B00042KG3A

Agree with this. Additionally, hilift jacks can pull as well as push. Hi lift jacks have a capacity of just over 2 tons. Make sure it is a branded hilift and not a knock off as the branded hilift are weight tested to 7000lbs.

Bottle jacks are great for moving very very heavy objects a short distance. Hilift are great for moving a heavy object a longer distance (usu up to 56").

After that you have chain hoists, comealongs and block and tackle which can move fairly heavy objects a long distance.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I don't know much about bottle jacks, and don't particularly trust them, personally. That probably says more about me than the bottle jacks themselves.

As for floor jacks, Project Farm did a great review of them a few weeks back. His testing/reviews are excellent, and he buys all of the products himself.

Anything hydraulic I don't trust being under it. That is why I use things like jack stands, piled lumber, adjustable columns, etc. once I've used a hydraulic floor jack or bottle jack to lift something.

I've seen too many hydraulic jacks fail in my lifetime including a friend of a friend who died under their truck when their hydraulic jack's seal failed and trapped them under it.

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    I have a torin bottle jack and a 4x4 piece of wood in the truck. Its really to appease me bc i doubt i can get the spare out bc its probably rusted in there and i jave aftermarket tires

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

Wow! This guy knows how to do a great review. I hate when guys get on their video review and blather on about this and that for 5 minutes, and then don't really do a comprehensive review. They think they are providing insight based on what they believe is their expertise, but what I want is data - pure and simple. This guy did that and did it very well.

I might need to up my game on my garage floor jack. What I currently have is a bottom of the heap floor jack - it gets the job done, and the truth is, I only use mine a few times a year, but what kind of a price can you really put on it when you're talking about something that is lifting very heavy objects and holding them?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    You mention having to re-set block piers. Keep in mind that a bottle jack only works to push upright and may not work to push horizontal.

If you can rent or borrow something called a 'Port-a-Power' for a weekend it may be more useful than a bottle jack. It's made to bend truck and trailer frames back into shape. It's a hydraulic hand pump and a collection of hydraulic spreading, pulling and pushing tools like cylinders and duckbills. You can position the cylinders horizontal as the hand pump remains upright. They come in different capacities like 5t and 10t.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    Agree with this. Additionally, hilift jacks can pull as well as push. Hi lift jacks have a capacity of just over 2 tons. Make sure it is a branded hilift and not a knock off as the branded hilift are weight tested to 7000lbs.

Bottle jacks are great for moving very very heavy objects a short distance. Hilift are great for moving a heavy object a longer distance (usu up to 56").

After that you have chain hoists, comealongs and block and tackle which can move fairly heavy objects a long distance.
    I can confirm this I have the 60 inch Hi lift extreme it has a lightly higher rating and the hook point on the top can also be used for clamping.
    One time my winch failed the high lift got me out. I have pushed frame rails apart all kinds of stuff. I would never want to be without my hi lift its like a swiss army knife of jacks.
    The standard high lift is rated for 5,000 pounds they test it to 7,000 The extreme is rated for 7,000 and tested to 10,000

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Next to hammers, saws and tape measures, my most useful tool is a jack of all kinds. Bottle jacks, floor jacks, screw jacks, and the previously mentioned hi lift ( farm jack) porta power and even the lally column that has adjustable screw in screw out ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom