• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gatornick

Apr 6, 2013
    Tell me what you think guys. I don't know much about Mausers but I am trying to learn. I got this one cheap so I couldn't resist. I was thinking about selling it towards a Garand which is what I really want, but I now I have become quite attached to it, so I will have to save for the Garand. The history behind this is something I cant give up.

On to the rifle. I know the stock has been sporterized and refinished which is unfortunate because the serial number on the handguard matches the weapon. I hope that is the only thing wrong with it. I don't think the barrel has been cut, at least I hope not. I don't think it is a Mitchell's Mauser as the bolt is still blue, and its definitely not restored. I cant find an import mark or an x indicating Russian capture. The bolt doesn't match(actually I think there are two different serial numbers in the bolt), but everything else on the rifle does. That is about all I know. Now I need to find an appropriate stock as this one is a travesty. What do you think the value is for this rifle, and what do you think a stock will run me? I am in no hurry, and think it will be fun to hunt gun shows for however long it takes to find a stock. Anything I should look out for while stock hunting?

Attachments

• DSC_0790.JPG
      DSC_0790.JPG
      66.5 KB · Views: 241
    • DSC_0791.jpg
      DSC_0791.jpg
      57.2 KB · Views: 246
    • DSC_0792.jpg
      DSC_0792.jpg
      62.2 KB · Views: 250
    • DSC_0795.jpg
      DSC_0795.jpg
      56.3 KB · Views: 246
    • DSC_0799.jpg
      DSC_0799.jpg
      30.5 KB · Views: 236
    • DSC_0800.jpg
      DSC_0800.jpg
      50.6 KB · Views: 239

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    It looks like a typical bring-back sporterization. A lot of GI's did this. I assume it isn't import marked. A non matched bolt is common as the bolts were removed when the rifles were surrendered. The barrel has not been cut and it is definitely not Mitchell's. Try ebay and gunbroker for stocks. An original stock will be fairly expensive if you want German.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I made the mistake of trying to reblue mine.

Touch ups are fine, but make sure you prepare the metal EXTREMELY WELL FIRST, especially if you use ballistol as a preservative.

Once ballistol gets onto blued metal it is damn near impossible to get it off to the point that it will rust or bluing will take. You need to alternate heat and acetone, it's not pleasant. Good news is if your gun won't blue, it won't rust- no gun I've ever put ballistol on has ever rusted.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I picked up a Spanish Mauser with a German barrel... it had been sporterized and was ugly as hell. I cleaned it up and touched it up and wouldn't trade it for anything. they are good shooters if the bore isn't messed up and depending on what you want to use it for the stock might be ok for you. it does suck to see a nice one with a cut down stock though

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    glass bed a surplus mauser with a decent bore and you will cry with joy with how accurate it shoots- if you can find 8mm mauser that is.

But wait. What's that? Out in the distance?

NEWLY MANUFACTURED 8mm MAUSER?!

yep. and it's cheap too.

DennisCA

It looks like a typical bring-back sporterization. A lot of GI's did this. I assume it isn't import marked. A non matched bolt is common as the bolts were removed when the rifles were surrendered. The barrel has not been cut and it is definitely not Mitchell's. Try ebay and gunbroker for stocks. An original stock will be fairly expensive if you want German.

Yup a typical sporterization, you've going to have some searching to find a stock-set but isn't impossible. It's going to depend on how much you want to spend if you want to get it back to milspecs.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looks like a nice Bolt mismatch K98. Made by JP Sauer und Sohn in 1940. Please whatever you do, DO NOT attempt to reblue or treat the metal with anything other than gun oil and a soft cloth. Rebluing will hurt the value even more. The rifle still has value as it is and would be worthy of a proper restoration.

You can find a proper stock for it on ebay, gunbroker or another auction site if you are lucky. There is one man in Holland that sells Norwegian capture K98k stocks, I can't seem to find his website right now though. His name is Mario.

What is the condition of the bore and does the triggerguard and floorplate match? What about the barrel band? That will give us a better determination of the value. I paid $300 for a matching bnz 4 in similar sporterized condition a few years ago and considered it a good deal. I am in the process of restoring it now.

Oh, and if you get an original stock, Please DO NOT glass bed it!! Only do it to the messed up sporter stock if it is really that bad.

gatornick

Apr 6, 2013
    Thanks for all the info. I definitely don't plan to reblue it. I like the patina it has. I don't need perfect guns. I plan to try and protect it from further harm and I look forward to shooting it. Once I get it to the range a couple of times and see how it does I may work on the current stock. That could be fun. I looked them up on ebay, and original stocks are definitely pricey. I will end up paying more for the stock than the rifle. I think it will be awhile, but it deserves some good wood at some point.

To answer some of the questions, I am not an expert but I think the bore looks great. Really strong rifling in my opinion. The trigger guard and floor plate match. The trigger guard is bent a bit. I will try and get a photo. I am not sure about the barrel band I haven't looked. I have never seen so many serial numbers on a weapon before. I will get a picture of the sling tomorrow. It is a nice leather one. I haven't looked it over for markings so I will do that. I assumed it was a reproduction since I didn't think leather would last that long, but ill check it out.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Thanks for all the info. I definitely don't plan to reblue it. I like the patina it has. I don't need perfect guns. I plan to try and protect it from further harm and I look forward to shooting it. Once I get it to the range a couple of times and see how it does I may work on the current stock. That could be fun. I looked them up on ebay, and original stocks are definitely pricey. I will end up paying more for the stock than the rifle. I think it will be awhile, but it deserves some good wood at some point.

To answer some of the questions, I am not an expert but I think the bore looks great. Really strong rifling in my opinion. The trigger guard and floor plate match. The trigger guard is bent a bit. I will try and get a photo. I am not sure about the barrel band I haven't looked. I have never seen so many serial numbers on a weapon before. I will get a picture of the sling tomorrow. It is a nice leather one. I haven't looked it over for markings so I will do that. I assumed it was a reproduction since I didn't think leather would last that long, but ill check it out.

The Germans marked nearly every piece of their rifles. The sling doesn't look original. I wouldn't blame you if you decided not to restore it. It was probably cut down by the soldier who brought it home, and that is part of its history. It would be fun to restore but very expensive. Were you told the stock has been refinished? It looks like the original finish to me.

gatornick

Apr 6, 2013
    I never thought about the cut stock being part of the history. I kind of like that idea. I can't find any marking on the stock. I thought the stocks were marked, so I figured it was sanded. Maybe I need to look at it a little more.

Mopar92- I was talking to a guy about Mosins and how they were cheap and fun to shoot, and he brought me this and said $150 since that's about what Mosins go for.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I never thought about the cut stock being part of the history. I kind of like that idea. I can't find any marking on the stock. I thought the stocks were marked, so I figured it was sanded. Maybe I need to look at it a little more.

Mopar92- I was talking to a guy about Mosins and how they were cheap and fun to shoot, and he brought me this and said $150 since that's about what Mosins go for.

That is a great price. Look on the underside of the stock, below the grip about halfway down. The serial number should be marked there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom