• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Deer jerks! Him and a spike plus a doe or button buck also, around same time. This bigger guy hung around a while too. Most activity still all at night, and visits seemed to stop the 6th in the am ( close to hunting time in morning), so I assume that means they ate all the corn. I can try Saturday one last time. I won't cause any spooking dumping some more corn out Friday, will I? In hopes something comes at sunset, like that 8 pointer again!

Attachments

• 8ptdaytimeafternoon.jpg
      8ptdaytimeafternoon.jpg
      111.9 KB · Views: 667
    • 5deer8ptbuck.jpg
      5deer8ptbuck.jpg
      81.8 KB · Views: 670

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Deer jerks! Him and a spike plus a doe or button buck also, around same time. This bigger guy hung around a while too. Most activity still all at night, and visits seemed to stop the 6th in the am ( close to hunting time in morning), so I assume that means they ate all the corn. I can try Saturday one last time. I won't cause any spooking dumping some more corn out Friday, will I? In hopes something comes at sunset, like that 8 pointer again!

Yeah Im thinking you should have, well if he survived this long into gun season you probably will still have chance if you bow hunt or crossbow hunt. Good luck:party29:

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Yeah Im thinking you should have, well if he survived this long into gun season you probably will still have chance if you bow hunt or crossbow hunt. Good luck:party29:

Sat is last day rifle in Cecil, no sunday hunt there this sunday, then I am back to trapping. I may try again in the 2 day late season. But sat would be my likely last chance at that buck.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I know the feeling. I had to work on a Saturday when this guy came in. Otherwise inwould have been in the stand with him 26 yards in front of me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      128.2 KB · Views: 578

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia

I don't think you will spook them by dumping more corn. When I put it out here I slung it all over, instead of putting it in a pile. Make them spend a little more time getting it all. Seems like they are moving more, at least here. I got an 8 Mon. morning, my son got an 8 this evening, just before dark. Neither huge, but nice bucks. Last week nothing moving at all.

This Fri and Sat should be good. Calling for it to be cold and I think that gets them moving. Your camera says they are there. GOOD luck, and get a BIG one.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Ok, here's a weird question. It's a PIA and time waster to spend basically 90 minutes for me to put corn out on Friday with the driving time plus the little bit I'd be there. If I hunted fox there before putting the corn out, would that spook the deer up? I'm talking afternoon like 3pm try to call a fox in and use a shotgun on it. With electronic caller.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    It would depend on how far away they are bedding down and how much pressure they've gotten in the area this year. If you really want the deer the fox will wait a week.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Like said above. Couldn't you sneak in and hunt deer Friday, and spread the corn around Friday eve before you left?

Gonna be windy as all hell, no point in hunting deer with wind like that.

My next idea is getting there a bit earlier and putting a small amount of corn out, then hiding in the blind being quiet.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Ok, here's a weird question. It's a PIA and time waster to spend basically 90 minutes for me to put corn out on Friday with the driving time plus the little bit I'd be there. If I hunted fox there before putting the corn out, would that spook the deer up? I'm talking afternoon like 3pm try to call a fox in and use a shotgun on it. With electronic caller.

If it makes any sounds like a rabbit call or whatnot its going to scare off the deer, just because the fact when deer hear that rabbit call they know predators such as coyotes or fox are around. and they will leave the area temporarily...they will come back though

I'd make a cheap gravity feeder out of plastic rain pipe, cut about 4' length, tie to a tree in shooting range of your stand and fill it with corn.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Talked to one of my customers a while ago, he says to just quietly put a small amount of corn out earlier than usual, then go hang out in the blind, says deer will come in if they really want the corn sooner. So, something like 2pm corn out, then go in the blind. I've got a 5 pound bag of corn in a "quiet" bag.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    My next idea is getting there a bit earlier and putting a small amount of corn out, then hiding in the blind being quiet.

Talked to one of my customers a while ago, he says to just quietly put a small amount of corn out earlier than usual, then go hang out in the blind, says deer will come in if they really want the corn sooner. So, something like 2pm corn out, then go in the blind. I've got a 5 pound bag of corn in a "quiet" bag.

If you're talking about putting out corn and then immediately hunt it--I don't think that the corn will make a difference THAT HUNT. The deer won't come in because of the corn you just put out; they'll come in looking for corn they knew was ALREADY there.

They're not gonna "smell" or otherwise know there's NEW corn around. Only put out more if you want to keep them coming back for some time; like if you do plan on hunting the 2 day late season. I hope that made sense. Good luck and I hope you get him.

P.S.--IMO, if you only have one more chance for this deer, I'd leave the foxes alone and stay out of there.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    If you're talking about putting out corn and then immediately hunt it--I don't think that the corn will make a difference THAT HUNT. The deer won't come in because of the corn you just put out; they'll come in looking for corn they knew was ALREADY there.

They're not gonna "smell" or otherwise know there's NEW corn around. Only put out more if you want to keep them coming back for some time; like if you do plan on hunting the 2 day late season. I hope that made sense. Good luck and I hope you get him.

P.S.--IMO, if you only have one more chance for this deer, I'd leave the foxes alone and stay out of there.

They pretty much ate the last corn by tues or wed, but I'd think they would come back to see if more was put out. They already did each time they would eat it all then a few days went by, then I'd put more out. It's a 90 mins minimum of time to go toss out 5 pounds of corn. If I had someone who lives near there to toss it out for me...

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Deer came back nosing around for any stray bits of corn, as my camera tells me, but they were total no-shows for my saturday hunt, so I will either go out in late black powder, or wait till the 2 day late season. I know what I need to do habitat wise now- cut down all the small trees and open it up back there, so deer will bed down there and not have far to go the corn. Next season hopefully there will be enough scrub in there. I was at a new place to trap and that place has some damn good deer habitat in the back, no small trees and open enough to let all the junk grow and make a big area for deer bedding. He also has alfalfa fields. The owner has stands and blinds all over the place and he feeds them corn year round. Big garage type building full of nice bucks he has taken over the years. He also has a lot of foxes lol. And some coyotes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom