I guess Remington can still build a pretty accurate rifle.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Just picked up a really nice Remington 700 VTR in 223...Jewell trigger in right away..VERY nice....You will be very happy with it once you get it..
    Haha...u said you might pick up a 700 after I for mine from you, glad u did.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    That's a nice rig Russ. Your first target looks like the first shot out of my SIG 716 up at Hap Baker; expecting a long drawn out series of adjustments I was taken completely surprised. (thoughts)"Hmmm.. okay now what".

I do my own process that consists of; One shot clean, two shots clean, three shots clean, five shots clean and then done.

I use a similar process but prefer to follow the Fibonacci sequence. ;)

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Shot two more groups today after my daughter shot almost an entire 500 round box of .22's.
    1.055-.3=.75" 5 shots
    2012-05-19_14-38-54_479.jpg

.88-.3=.58" 5 shots
    2012-05-19_14-38-23_711-1.jpg

Last edited:

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Haha...I went today also, here is my best 5 shot group, of course I pulled the last shot. I might have 35 rounds or so through it, seems to be coming into its own pretty good. I will say after the second trip to the range I hate the trigger more this time! Any word on finding a jewell before August?

I would like to start hand loading but have no idea what I'm doing at all. So I'm stuck with off the shelf stuff for now.

d552410d.jpg

Rifle...

c7acdbf1.jpg

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I went with the Timmney flat trigger. Can only go to 2lbs safely but it is worlds better than the factory trigger. I have a JP chassis on order. This is five shots at 105 yards. My first group after a rough sight in. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337667137.460520.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337667160.343210.jpg

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Why would anybody waste their time when you could pick up a self pimpable(no gunsmith required)Accu Trigger equipped package for half the price?

At $650 the only Savage rifles I found cheaper were the model 11 and they were only slightly cheaper. All the heavy barrel Savages were more expensive.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    5 shots at 200 yards. I definitely contribute the horizontal stringing to my trigger control. Still getting used to the stock and the crappy X-mark.
    2012-05-26_10-38-07_326.jpg

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    5 shots at 200 yards. I definitely contribute the horizontal stringing to my trigger control. Still getting used to the stock and the crappy X-mark.
    2012-05-26_10-38-07_326.jpg

That's a good group. That X-mark went into the trash before I fired a shot. I'm loving the Timney.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Why don't you lighten the trigger until you can get a better one? It's supposedly easy to do.

I believe (don't quote me on this) Dan at GC took mine to 3.5 when I got it. Pretty sure that's what he said. The trigger is not something I notice as really good or bad since its my only bolt action and 308. I shoot ok with it, but need to get used to my new stock and I'm in back order hell on my new scope now. :(

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Mine wouldn't go below 4 lbs from factory.

Mine is about the same. I'd say it's 4#'s and not very crisp or predictable. Horizontal stringing like this is almost certainly my error with the trigger. I can practice with this one for a long time and hopefully get better or get a good trigger and never have another issue. Calling this trigger adjustable means that it just goes from horrible to bad. My older 700's aren't made to be adjustable and I can tune them to be great. This one is supposed to be adjustable and is a joke.

baltimorelaw

Mar 27, 2009
    I'll let you know if I find one sooner because that is the trigger I am looking for.

Any particular reason you are going with a Jewell instead of a Timney? We've had good luck with Timney triggers and they are more available and a good bit cheaper, depending on the model.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Mine is about the same. I'd say it's 4#'s and not very crisp or predictable. Horizontal stringing like this is almost certainly my error with the trigger. I can practice with this one for a long time and hopefully get better or get a good trigger and never have another issue. Calling this trigger adjustable means that it just goes from horrible to bad. My older 700's aren't made to be adjustable and I can tune them to be great. This one is supposed to be adjustable and is a joke.

Dave and I had the same issue with ours. Pull weights would vary on my rifle by almost a pound. Very happy with the Jewell that replaced it.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Any particular reason you are going with a Jewell instead of a Timney? We've had good luck with Timney triggers and they are more available and a good bit cheaper, depending on the model.

The Timney is good, but the Jewell is awesome. I want to be able to get the best that this rifle is able to give.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    The Timney is good, but the Jewell is awesome. I want to be able to get the best that this rifle is able to give.

Mine came in yesterday, having some fitting issues, safety wont work when mounted in the stock but fine when on its not. The trigger came super light! I hope I can add some weight to it in order feel a little more comfortable.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27

That's a nice group Russ; I haven't even tried adjusting the X-mark on my PSS and would like to get it down to 2.5lbs if possible.

What scope do you have on yours? I'm thinking about canning my 10x Super Sniper and going with something that has adjustable magnification.

c35d8b93.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom