• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • n00b

Jul 21, 2010
    I have about a 30lb momma groundhog and now three babies living under my shed and wood pile. I need to eradicate said varmits, but my P226 9mm is just too dang loud. I need a 22 rifle to take these suckers out. I don't want or need anything fancy, but something that will get the job done.

Anyone have suggestions?

Side note, anyone know the rules about shooting varmints on private property? I'm out in the woods of Carroll County. My closest neighbor doesn't care but I am not sure if the folks across the way are 150 yards out or not. not sure they would care either, we hear gun fire pretty regular in these parts. I am only about 30 yards and down from the road. I'm guessing this is too close even if I am shooting in the other direction?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Either animal control or the humane society can give you cages. Little less messy and no firearms discharge needed.

n00b

Jul 21, 2010
    yeah, but I really want to shoot the little bastards!

Is that wrong?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    yeah, but I really want to shoot the little bastards!

Is that wrong?

Well you could pick up a good semi-auto, mag fed .22lr for around $200. Remington 597, Marlin 795, and Ruger 10/22 are all good options. Or someone on here near you could loan ya one.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    As long as your not in westminster city limits you should be fine. I would lone you my 22 or my 17hmr but both just got new scopes and have not been sighted in yet.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Sweet, killing groundhogs in my back yard is my forte'

I've killed about 30 (i've stopped counting) groundhogs in my backyard over the years using compound bows, pellet guns (head shots only), smoke bombs, and .22's. All of them work well, but a sub sonic .22 out of a bolt or lever gun from the bedroom window is my favorite! My neighbor and I did a test a few years ago shooting the sub sonic bullets and listening from one house to another, the sound is so insignificant its not an issue.

Oh, and the other nice thing about sub sonic bullets is that they dont have a lot of stopping power, so after you shoot the pig he may run back into the woods....no mess :)

As for the laws check MD DNR site

n00b

Jul 21, 2010
    I took a pot shot at one of the little buggers with my P226 from about 30 feet. It was way too loud and that's a tough shot for an experienced hand gunner (which I'm not).

My father in Law has a bolt action 22 rifle he's going to let me borrow. He says it does not like subsonic rounds. Not sure what it is. I would guess remington.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I took a pot shot at one of the little buggers with my P226 from about 30 feet. It was way too loud and that's a tough shot for an experienced hand gunner (which I'm not).

My father in Law has a bolt action 22 rifle he's going to let me borrow. He says it does not like subsonic rounds. Not sure what it is. I would guess remington.

Sounds to me like you have a reason for a new gun purchase.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

Thats odd that a bolt gun doesnt like sub sonic bullets. Its usally the semis that cant cycle them

n00b

Jul 21, 2010
    I'm thinking Remington 700 Varmint, unless you guys have some other suggestions....

n00b

Jul 21, 2010
    From what I saw on the interwebz, it comes chambered for the .22lr as well.

I agree, .223 is a bit much and honestly if I was going .223 I'd just say screw it and get an AR!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You can also kill them with bubblegum. Double Bubble works best.....so I hear.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I'm out in the boonies of Westminster and when I have a ground hog problem, I use a Marlin 925 inside my kitchen with this;

Attachments

• AMM-057.jpg
      AMM-057.jpg
      40.3 KB · Views: 595

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads