• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    I use CCI CB shorts out of a 10/22. Makes the same noise as my spring powered 1200 fps pellet gun About the sound level of a solid hand clap. Have to load them manually. Shoot them, they waggel back into the den, see flys at den entrance in a couple days. I think it keeps other groundhogs from moving in.

If you see one, you will see many. I have a cage trap in service also. Set snare at den entrance for awhile without catch.

They have eaten my cabbage, lettuce, and Brussel Sprouts down to a nub. Will try moth balls. I can't be on the hunt all the time.

I want a .22lr single shot bolt action. Any suggestions?

Have 10/22's and Marlin 795, but love the CB shorts and they don't cycle in the autos.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    When I trapped our little bastard I used lettuce and cantaloupe. Got him in a few hours. They are TOUGH so if it doesn't go 100 percent perfect, be prepared for follow up shots.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I second the CCI CB shorts - much quieter than any subsonic .22LR I have ever tried.

You might want to try gun/pawn shops for a cheap, bargain .22 bolt action.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I use CCI CB shorts out of a 10/22. Makes the same noise as my spring powered 1200 fps pellet gun About the sound level of a solid hand clap. Have to load them manually. Shoot them, they waggel back into the den, see flys at den entrance in a couple days. I think it keeps other groundhogs from moving in.

If you see one, you will see many. I have a cage trap in service also. Set snare at den entrance for awhile without catch.

They have eaten my cabbage, lettuce, and Brussel Sprouts down to a nub. Will try moth balls. I can't be on the hunt all the time.

I want a .22lr single shot bolt action. Any suggestions?

Have 10/22's and Marlin 795, but love the CB shorts and they don't cycle in the autos.

I've used my kids Cricket rifle a few times. They only cost about $100, and they dont take up much room

n00b

Jul 21, 2010
    went to tractor supply and got a trap today. Now I'm thinking if I shoot the sucker with my 9mm while it's in the cage, it will trash the cage...?

Thoughts?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    went to tractor supply and got a trap today. Now I'm thinking if I shoot the sucker with my 9mm while it's in the cage, it will trash the cage...?

Thoughts?

If you have it in the cage, why do you need to shoot it? Just take out to the middle of nowhere and release it. I think shooting a caged animal may land you in some kind of trouble for cruelty or something.

Also, 9mm at close range will probably result in little bits of gopher all over your face.

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    I live in Carroll County. Have had a groundhog the size of a badger ripping huge holes all over our rear lawn. Very dangerous. Few years back I had an Australian Shepard (great dog) running full speed, got his leg in a groundhog hole, and snapped his leg in two.

Anyway, I took him this weekend with my SP101 327 using 32 H&R mag. I was 37' from him. No more gh.

Sirex