• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Southern States has a groundhog trap similar to a REALLY BIG snap trap. You set it over the hole and when he sticks his head in or out BAM!! Dead groundhog. I have one and it works great.

n00b

Jul 21, 2010
    Well, I got two so far. Tractor supply had a deal where you buy a big trap and you get the little one as a bonus. Turns out the big trap is nothing more than a groundhog feeder. The little ones are not heavy enough to trigger the mechanism. I got two smaller ones with the little trap. Shoot them, toss them in the woods, repeat....

I kinda miss city life....but then again, I had a groundhog under my shed in the city too. At least out here, I can shoot them.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    too bad you can't find M-80s anymore. Growing up out west we used them to control gophers, and I imagine they'd be fine on a groundhog. Just light the fuse , drop it down the hole, and step back (farther than you think you need to...). BOOM & problem solved.

Around here, I've found a hav-a-heart trap baited with a chunk of apple to work every time. of course, it's a bit of unexpected entertainment when you catch a skunk instead of a whistle-pig:lol::lol:

garbage can full of water avoids the potential downsides of ricochets...

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Ok posted this in another thread , I dont know if it was tried but please do and post a video .

Get a model rocket attach a snare with a long lead . set snare with something yummy as bait when the hog is happily munching on the yummy treat set off the rocket snaring the furry lil bastards head so all his furry lil buddies can see him get choked out . :D

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    A live trap and some canteloupe... Close one end of trap, drop in some canteloupe, rub some on the trap, leave a short trail of a few smaill pices to the door.

Dig a hole, .22lr thru the trap to the head and burry! hose off the trap, reset and you will have another shortly. They can not resist canteloupe!

I caught 9 on my property in a day! Have a regular Groundhog Cemetery at the bottom of my yard!

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    A live trap and some canteloupe... Close one end of trap, drop in some canteloupe, rub some on the trap, leave a short trail of a few smaill pices to the door.

Dig a hole, .22lr thru the trap to the head and burry! hose off the trap, reset and you will have another shortly. They can not resist canteloupe!

I caught 9 on my property in a day! Have a regular Groundhog Cemetery at the bottom of my yard!

Yeah, it's all fun and games until all the restless spirits of all those buried gophers come back one night to haunt your a$$.

You're suppoed to salt the corpse, then stake it, then burn it, THEN bury it...

n00b

Jul 21, 2010
    too bad you can't find M-80s anymore. Growing up out west we used them to control gophers, and I imagine they'd be fine on a groundhog. Just light the fuse , drop it down the hole, and step back (farther than you think you need to...). BOOM & problem solved.

Around here, I've found a hav-a-heart trap baited with a chunk of apple to work every time. of course, it's a bit of unexpected entertainment when you catch a skunk instead of a whistle-pig:lol::lol:

garbage can full of water avoids the potential downsides of ricochets...

Their hole is right under my big shed, so I have no access, but dam that sounds like fun.

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    Used to pop them @ my buddy's family farm from the ridge with whatever we had handy... nothing says lovin like a 220gr SMK from a .300RUM! :brows:

It doesn't get much simpler than a 10/22, 3x Redfield, a 50rnd mag and $9.99 550rd box of Federal 40gr from Wally World...

Roto-triggers increase the amusement level by a significant margin... (legal here in MD???) Watching the dirt spray into the air everywhere as the whistlepigs dive for cover is a comedy unto itself! :gun2:

BSAN

Nov 23, 2011
    charlotte hall
    I went out on the farm today with my savage 111 in 7mm rem mag. Saw two,missed one, put one down. My factory junk tasco scope is getting yanked after today time for an upgrade.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Yeah, it's all fun and games until all the restless spirits of all those buried gophers come back one night to haunt your a$$.

You're suppoed to salt the corpse, then stake it, then burn it, THEN bury it...

That must have been the noises I heard out back last night!! LOL!

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I can report that here in Perry Hall, where it would be difficult to use any of my weapons on those critters (at first the pair was cute, then they started to multiply), I got some of the poison pellets from Lowe's. Per the instructions, cover up some of the burrows with a heavy rock or similar, then place the pellets near the main burrow. Sure enough, the pellets were eaten and over a week or so I've stopped seeing the family cavorting in my garden.........no muss, no fuss.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I've been shooting these little B***ARDS for 25+ years.
    After seeing what they did to my wife's family's dairy farm I grew to HATE them.
    I've often thought of going out to a Western state with about 2000+ rounds and "working" with the local prairie dog towns.

Here's what I have used to get 'em:
    22-250 Browning bolt action with 60 degree bolt throw and 24" heavy barrel topped with a Leupold 6.5-20x variable scope. The 22-250 is literally a frozen rope out to 300 yards and a bit beyond.

It's a little too much for suburbia though. :)

Pics of my varmint rig, 22-250 vs. standard 5.56 NATO and my favorite T shirt "This is your brain/This is your brain on hollow points. Any questions"!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2796.JPG
      IMG_2796.JPG
      37 KB · Views: 139
    • IMG_2794.JPG
      IMG_2794.JPG
      21.2 KB · Views: 148
    • IMG_2792.JPG
      IMG_2792.JPG
      30.3 KB · Views: 142

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts