• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gatornick

Apr 6, 2013
    I have been kind of a lurker for a little while, mainly because I haven't had anything worthwhile to post. You guys are alot more knowlegeable than me thats for sure. After seeing all the posts on the Mosins and seeing one in person, I went ahead and ordered one last night. Actually I got two. I ordered a hex 91/30 for myself and a round for my father in law. He was at my house a couple of weeks ago, and I was telling him about them and he thought they were pretty cool. He doesn't know I am getting it for him, so I think it will be a cool surprise. Who doesn't like a gun for a gift? That leads me to a question. I want to be fully legal on this, for a non-regulated firearm can I just give it to him? Or do I need to do a transfer at an FFL? I will definitely post pics when they come in, and I am sure I will have many more questions as I get them cleaned up and fire them. Thanks for all the insight so far.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Face to face transfer will be good. It is not regulated. As long as you have no reason to think he cannot own firearms, you are good to go.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Congrats! Post pics when they arrive and we can tell you what we know. pics of the barrel with markings and year would be great. Have fun!

Redd Byrd

Oct 2, 2007
    This will be your first "social contact" disease that there is no known cure short of being bankrupt :lol2:

Welcome to the crowd :D

DennisCA

This will be your first "social contact" disease that there is no known cure short of being bankrupt :lol2:

Welcome to the crowd :D

Going bankkrupt won't help either - you'll just sell yourself or your soul for another mosin!
    :lol:
    RESISTANCE_IS_FUTILE_by_Ride_the_lightning10.jpg

:party29:

Also go on to:
    http://62x54r.net/
    It has a ton of info!

gatornick

Apr 6, 2013
    Sounds like I am on a slippery slope. Found some reasonable ammo yesterday so I have some of that coming too. Looking forward to shooting them. Thanks for the info on the transfer. He was just showing me his new M&P 9, so he is definitely allowed to own firearms. I think I might hold onto it and give it too him at Christmas though.

Makarov Kid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 7, 2012
    Commietown, Maryland
    I have been kind of a lurker for a little while, mainly because I haven't had anything worthwhile to post. You guys are alot more knowlegeable than me thats for sure. After seeing all the posts on the Mosins and seeing one in person, I went ahead and ordered one last night. Actually I got two. I ordered a hex 91/30 for myself and a round for my father in law. He was at my house a couple of weeks ago, and I was telling him about them and he thought they were pretty cool. He doesn't know I am getting it for him, so I think it will be a cool surprise. Who doesn't like a gun for a gift? That leads me to a question. I want to be fully legal on this, for a non-regulated firearm can I just give it to him? Or do I need to do a transfer at an FFL? I will definitely post pics when they come in, and I am sure I will have many more questions as I get them cleaned up and fire them. Thanks for all the insight so far.

You can do a private transfer with any gun that isn't on the regulated list. However, don't tell yellowsled where you live or he will buy the rifles before you could take them out of your gun safe! :innocent0

gatornick

Apr 6, 2013
    I finally got a chance to pick them up on Monday. All I had time for was a quick picture of the hex receiver. I did notice the round one was a 1943 and didn't look too interesting. I didn't get to look them over well at all. Its killing me not to be able to check them out and start cleaning them. I think I did pretty good on the hex receiver though. I'll get some more pics as I get some more time next week. One quick question. They are marked PW Arms and have a new serial number below it. Is this a detriment at all. I googled it a little bit, and it seemed fairly common. BTW, they are from AIM and were not hand picked.

Attachments

• mosin.jpg
      mosin.jpg
      63.4 KB · Views: 122

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Looks like a nice 5 line Tula updated Dragoon. When dealing with hexes, I believe the Tulas are just as common as the Izzies (the Germans took over the Tula plant at some point during the war). The PW Arms is the importer, who has to mark them with a new serial number. That's not a detriment although not having that would be a lot more rare (maybe a bring back or something) and possibly more collectible.

Nice score!:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom