• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    I recently inherited my late mother's Mossberg 151M (a) .22. It is in pretty good shape, but has a few missing pieces.

I have tried searching the interweb, but I am coming up a bit short. I was hoping someone here would know of a secret site or IP that could help me find the parts I need. I know the gun is not worth much, but as it was my mother's, it has a lot of that sappy sentimental value that will make me spend what it takes to restore it.

On the right side of the bolt there are two tapped holes that appear to be where the peep sight was mounted. I believe I have located a source for the peep sight at http://www.havlinsales.com/

I believe the front sight used to have a tubular shroud around it. I am having a very difficult time finding a new front sight. The ones I find on the web have a dove tail mount, and as you can see, this gun has a screw in mount. This is where I need the most help.

Now for the scope issue. My father said the rifle used to have a scope mounted on it as my mother preferred that to the iron sights. There are two tapped holes just in front of the bolt. I see many pictures that show an elevator sight installed in this location. So I am wondering if that is the location for missing elevator sights or a front scope mount? Also notice there are two groves cut in the metal above the bolt that remind me of a Weaver rail. Could that be where the scope gets mounted?

Am I seeing this right? Does this rifle actually load through the stock like a BB gun?

So if anyone can help, I would really appreciate it. And if mom where still around, I am sure she would appreciate it too.

smoothebore

That's a cool little gun. And the family provenance is priceless. I used to have a similar Winchester. There is a rod in the butt that twists and opens like a Spencer Carbine, then you load thru the side of the stock. I have a rear peep sight that may fit it. It's yours if you want it.

Almost forgot, it's also semi-automatic.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Here's some info that you might find useful for your rifle. I think that it's a Mossberg Model 151M(b), made between 1948-54:

• The first is this link to a site that has the original document for disassembly.
    • The second is a photo of what was probably the type of original peep sight that came on yours (model S130, I believe).
    • The third is an exploded view of the rifle, listing parts.
    • The last is an ad for the rifle when it was new--showing the optional scope that could be bought with it.

Attachments

• mossberg_151m_peep_sight.jpg
      mossberg_151m_peep_sight.jpg
      28.5 KB · Views: 1,209
    • 151M_exploded_view.jpg
      151M_exploded_view.jpg
      113.9 KB · Views: 3,147
    • Mossberg_Ad.jpg
      Mossberg_Ad.jpg
      76.2 KB · Views: 1,464

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts