• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    Hey guys,
    I am very proficient with semi-auto pistols and rifles but lack revolver pistol experience. I am knowledgeable about them but there is no replacement for actual hands on experience. Im reaching out to anyone who has time to go with me to the range (Im a SLSC member which would be the range of choice) with your revolvers (a single action and a double action) and i will provide ammunition that you specify. I am RSO certified and a safe shooter. Please PM me if available.
    The wife has offered a gun of choice for christmas which will be my first revolver so also open to suggestions :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I'm a member of Sanners and have several revolvers (all DA/SA), but I'm no revolver expert. Almost all my experience is with semi-autos as well. The revolvers I currently own are:

1. Ruger SP101 .357 (2.5")
    2. S&W M60 .357 (4")
    3. Taurus 85 Protector Ploly .38 Spl
    4. Taurus M941 (.22WMR)

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    What do you plan to use it for? For a general target revolver, start with a 4-6" ruger or Smith. Can't go wrong with either, if the budget allows one. I've never carried, so can't help with that purpose.

I've got a shorter barrel gp100 which you're welcome to try. Could probably meet this Friday.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    I'm a member of Sanners and have several revolvers (all DA/SA), but I'm no revolver expert. Almost all my experience is with semi-autos as well. The revolvers I currently own are:

1. Ruger SP101 .357 (2.5")
    2. S&W M60 .357 (4")
    3. Taurus 85 Protector Ploly .38 Spl
    4. Taurus M941 (.22WMR)

Sent you pm. Thank you for patronage!

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    What do you plan to use it for? For a general target revolver, start with a 4-6" ruger or Smith. Can't go wrong with either, if the budget allows one. I've never carried, so can't help with that purpose.

I've got a shorter barrel gp100 which you're welcome to try. Could probably meet this Friday.

As of this moment i want a revolver to break up the monotony with my current firearms. Since i reload, a caliber thats popular to reload would make sense. Is there a revolver that fits the persona of the G19. Good for carry but accurate enough for target?

Also I can meet you at range Friday after 5 if thats thats not too late.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    As of this moment i want a revolver to break up the monotony with my current firearms. Since i reload, a caliber thats popular to reload would make sense. Is there a revolver that fits the persona of the G19. Good for carry but accurate enough for target?

Also I can meet you at range Friday after 5 if thats thats not too late.

I can try to make it...I don't do CWS at the moment so I'm working every Friday. As for target shooting, my 4" S&W would do nicely with .38spl. I don't shoot much .357 due to the cost, but keep it around for home defense.

Bluemax

Member in good standing
    Jun 12, 2010
    southern maryland
    There are only two revolvers, S&W and everything else. Having owned and shot the vast majority of them I always end up going back the Smith and Wesson. A stainless mid-sized revolver with a 4 inch barrel will do 90 percent of what you may need. so a 686/66 or something similar. the model 10 is awesome really any K/L/N frame is an excellent start.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    There are only two revolvers, Colt and everything else. Having owned and shot the vast majority of them I always end up going back the Smith and Wesson. A stainless mid-sized revolver with a 4 inch barrel will do 90 percent of what you may need. so a 686/66 or something similar. the model 10 is awesome really any K/L/N frame is an excellent start.

FTFY.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    You want the honest-to-goodness truth? Get a S&W Model 17 in .22LR. No reloading involved, just feed the thing and enjoy.

Yes, there's plenty of .22LR around, you just have to order it...and avoid the bargain-basement plinking junk.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Just another thought, if you can find one. Try a revolver in .327 Federal. You can shoot 4 or 5 different types of rounds from it. .327, S&W .32 Long (and short if you can find it), H&R .32 Mag and some also say .32 ACP depending on the firearm.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    There are only two revolvers, S&W and everything else. Having owned and shot the vast majority of them I always end up going back the Smith and Wesson. A stainless mid-sized revolver with a 4 inch barrel will do 90 percent of what you may need. so a 686/66 or something similar. the model 10 is awesome really any K/L/N frame is an excellent start.
    The 686 in 357 mag or, if you can find one, a model 27 (Dirty Harry light). 6 inch for range , 4 might be a bit better for carry

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I love to shoot handguns of all types. But my preference far and away is for revolvers.

Ruger's GP100 is an excellent revolver. So were its predecessors, the Ruger "Six" series. Can't personally speak to their SP101 series as I don't own an example, but they tend to be well liked also by those who own them.

Colt is a thread in itself. The guys who have them typically aren't shooting them as much nowadays.

Numerous models of the Smith N, L and K frames are excellent revolvers as well. All 3 frames have their niche and their place. I own examples of each. The J and X frames are probably outside the realm of what I'd assume to be your initial interest. But for me personally, and while everyone has their preferences and their ideas regarding what they want to shoot on any given day? I'll rarely visit a range without some flavor of a K frame Smith, and a few boxes of 38 Special. Depending on the K frame model, I'll maybe have some .357 also if so chambered, but I tend to limit my .357 rounds in the K frame. I'll devote .357 to other guns. Again, depends on what you want to do, and how much revolver and cartridge and shooting you want to be dealing with on any given day. But a good K frame Smith...to me...is just a pure joy. All day and any day. No matter what else I might bring along.

Here's to hoping you get to shoot examples of all makes and models. But put a good K frame Smith on the menu to try. Unless I miss my guess, you'll find yourself being glad you did. They were and still are an all around great gun. Good luck!

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    The dynamic duo... S&W MOD 17 .22 cal. & MOD 19 .357 cal. They're identical except for the size of the holes!!! The 17 is cheap to feed and the practice transfers directly to the 19.

67bcb4776333f3ee70f7a3fb22a9ad74.jpg

7d372d84398a7dfef7893cf6d47108f4.jpg

d710c002859ecbb9173eed0a3aba6d79.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    I dunno fellers, the S&W 686 plus is calling my name in my sleep now... Mike, if i get a Model 17 in 22LR; I'm getting one for each hand!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I dunno fellers, the S&W 686 plus is calling my name in my sleep now... Mike, if i get a Model 17 in 22LR; I'm getting one for each hand!

For best all around use I'd go with a 686 or 586 if you can swing the cash. If your looking for something a little cheaper the model 10 is a fantastic option.

I probably have 20-25 revolvers and love my 686 But admittedly like my colt trooper more.

wowmattsays

Oct 4, 2016
    686? Do it! Best gun I own

I'll tell you what, it warms my heart to see you say this. I have about 15 years' experience with the 686 with a wood grip, and I love it. I had my woman shoot it for the first time about 3 weeks ago, and it is her favorite gun. We use .38 at the range and .357 for home defense. I can't begin to tell you how much I love that piece. Cleans well, never had a single issue, and its a pleasure to shoot.

ErictheRed

Jul 3, 2013
    St. Mary's
    Another vote here for the 686. Love that gun. I will say I love my GP-100 too you can't make a bad choice between those two. I don't have anything smaller to compare but I would think a 4" in either of the above is about the perfect gun. Shoot .38 or .357 and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom