• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    This weekend I decided to dedicate some pmags to my 300 blackout gun. I first tried to use some card stock and that didn’t go very well because of the underspray since it is not a flat surface. I then created a stencil using painters tape. The painters tape works better since it can lay along the contours of pmag ridges.

i-G2rZM9K-M.jpg
    i-S4h4QSm-M.jpg

I was too heavy handed with the paint on the first couple of mags.

i-GJS2RnQ-M.jpg

A lighter touch on the paint seems to work best.

i-fdHKSCB-M.jpg

The results are fine for what I want, but I eventually want to give something like this a try on one of my rifles.

Just like everything else in life, you need to practice to get good results. So my plan is to try something on nerf/toy guns. Is it possible to achieve the clean lines of something like the tiger strip or flecktarn using cans of Krylon, or do you need to invest in an air sprayer and duracoat so you can easily control the amount of paint applied to give you those clean edges?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I have a few sand colored mags that I plan to RIT dye Red. I will be using stick on numbers to keep 300 marked in tan.

Hopefully it works.

May 13, 2005
    Quality Paint pens from Michaels or similar stores hold up pretty well to rugged use and come in all sorts of colors for quick ID.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    This weekend I decided to dedicate some pmags to my 300 blackout gun. I first tried to use some card stock and that didn’t go very well because of the underspray since it is not a flat surface. I then created a stencil using painters tape. The painters tape works better since it can lay along the contours of pmag ridges.

i-G2rZM9K-M.jpg
    i-S4h4QSm-M.jpg

I was too heavy handed with the paint on the first couple of mags.

i-GJS2RnQ-M.jpg

A lighter touch on the paint seems to work best.

i-fdHKSCB-M.jpg

The results are fine for what I want, but I eventually want to give something like this a try on one of my rifles.

Just like everything else in life, you need to practice to get good results. So my plan is to try something on nerf/toy guns. Is it possible to achieve the clean lines of something like the tiger strip or flecktarn using cans of Krylon, or do you need to invest in an air sprayer and duracoat so you can easily control the amount of paint applied to give you those clean edges?

LOL, poor guy

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Well you said it..... :lol:

Looks like you went buck wild with the spray can. A few pointers, for crisp lines/edges, you need a good sticky stencil. Someone mentioned contact paper for kitchen cabinets, it works well. Spray can technique, multiple passes of light dustings

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    You want to cut your outlines but leave it attached to the backer, apply it all then use exacto/razor and peel off what you cut out, leaving the stencil on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom