• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KB3UET

Dec 24, 2010
    Sharpsburg, Md
    I have Marlin 30-30 and a Henry .22, I love them both and they both are a lot of fun. I use the 30-30 for hunting and have not lost one yet. I use the .22 for plinking around and it can not be beat. Good luck on making your decision, and remember whatever you get it will be fun.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I agree with checking out Henry. Been considering both the lever and pump action 22lr guns with octagon barrels. Love octagon barrels!!

I love my Henry Golden Boy. I just ordered two more of the regular Octagon Henry rifles to use in my rfile training class.

The Henry .22 cal models are great to train with and a lot of fun to plink with.

The larger calibers are fun to shoot as well.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I would go for the Marlin over a winchester mainly because of the side exit for the spent rounds on the marlin and the ease of adding a scope. I have a 336 and like it a whole lot.

Mr Oni

Military history nut
    Dec 11, 2010
    Brooklyn md.
    As far as Henrys go mine had to be sent back by the dicks at dicks to fix what appearently is very common problem the forearm grips screw being stripped. Henry customer service is nice but I was really disapointed it got packaged liked that. Henry 22 lever action it was.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    As far as Henrys go mine had to be sent back by the dicks at dicks to fix what appearently is very common problem the forearm grips screw being stripped. Henry customer service is nice but I was really disapointed it got packaged liked that. Henry 22 lever action it was.

The Henry's are really nice looking but I "think" many here have had problems with the .22's. Mostly with the plastic in the tube, not sure.

Are there any known defects with the .44's?

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Toying with the same idea, have to have a lever action. Liking the Winchester 1982 short in 44 or 357 but for around $800 they are not cheap.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    Well, you did say "lever action." This time of year, I say this counts.

RRyder-768045.jpg

O'Shoot

Dec 10, 2010
    IMHO a lever action is a must have. I bought a used Marlin 30-30 a few years ago, great rifle, and loads of fun to shoot.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    I have a Henry 22 and a Marlin 336CS in 35 Remington (c1958).
    You can't go wrong with a lever action IMHO.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    I love my lever guns!Marlin Cowboy in .38-55,39a,1895s in .450&45-70.1783 Uberty's in .45 Colt(dlx rifle).44-40 Brush Popper,.45-60 Oct.,1866 Yellow Boy in .38spl.1883 in .45-70.Two Colt Trappers in .45 Colt.Original 1892 Colt in.32-20.Still looking for a U.Henry!!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Whatcha get in the end? As noted above I am a big levergun fan and that is one of the few areas my collection is likely to expand.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    UPDATE: There wasn't a rifle under the tree, but there was a pair of wool socks... With a big check inside!

Still not sure on which rifle to buy. I'm pretty much decided on a Marlin 1894 in either .357 or .44. Unfortunately, nobody seems to carry these. Anybody know of a Marlin distributor in AA County? Dicks, Bass Pro, and Wal Mart can order, but I at least need to fondle before I buy.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    UPDATE: There wasn't a rifle under the tree, but there was a pair of wool socks... With a big check inside!

Still not sure on which rifle to buy. I'm pretty much decided on a Marlin 1894 in either .357 or .44. Unfortunately, nobody seems to carry these. Anybody know of a Marlin distributor in AA County? Dicks, Bass Pro, and Wal Mart can order, but I at least need to fondle before I buy.

Dan has the .44's IN STOCK as of a few days ago I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom