I want to try Ipsc, what do I need to do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Ok, I want to try Ipsc. Looks like next month there is a match out in
    Thermont. Beside the 1911 mags and holster what else do I need ?

I emailed today for a match spot, I also understand there is a intro class
    for new guys prior to the match.

So any words of wisdom?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Safety is the key..

No finger in the trigger guard while on the move... 180 rule etc. It will be discussed during your new orientation.

Equipment.. what you listed is pretty much what you need.. extra mags and enough mag pouch to hold them in. 4 min with 1911 I believe.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Let the Range Officer at EACH stage know you are new. They will explain things a bit more in depth, put you later in the rotation so you can watch others run it first. And in general help you out.

Oh, and expect to have about the most fun you can have with your clothes on. :)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Don't expect to outshoot everyone there, try to shoot the match clean, and on top of this "Beside the 1911 mags and holster what else do I need ?" you might want to bring your 1911 :)

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Don't expect to outshoot everyone there, try to shoot the match clean, and on top of this "Beside the 1911 mags and holster what else do I need ?" you might want to bring your 1911 :)

Lol yeah.. that's a plus... but then again.. lots of good people in the sport they may lend you their equipment. :)

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex

I shoot steel plate, cowboy silhouette, and use to shoot competive sporting clays so no expectations to out shoot anyone I am use to sucking. I just want to try something diffrent.

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    Dont feel bad...there are just different levels of sucking! :)

If you need any help please let me know. There are several clubs for you to choose from in your area. Hit me up when you decide to go and perhaps we can squad together and we can show you the ropes.

I am the USPSA Area 8 Director and I love getting people involved/addicted! I can get you in contact with the clubs and people but please look the site over too.

You can contact me directly at stevearea8@yahoo.com

Good luck!

Steve Thomas

Last edited:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    if you want to get started earlier, looks like there are AM and PM IDPA matches at peacemaker this Saturday which is prob 45min-1hr SW of Frederick. some different rules than ipsc/uspsa but for the most part it is similar (run around and shoot targets). pistol and holster, 3 mags with two mag pouches, eye and ear protection of course and generally you must wear a cover garment though they will certainly let you slide your first time out. 3 boxes of ammo for each match should move than cover you.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

If you need any help please let me know. There are several clubs for you to choose from in your area. Hit me up when you decide to go and perhaps we can squad together and we can show you the ropes.

I am the USPSA Area 8 Director and I love getting people involved/addicted! I can get you in contact with the clubs and people but please look the site over too.

Good luck!

Steve Thomas

What he said .

Steve and his wife are great instructors. :)

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    Hey good luck out there. Assuming you're running 8rnd mags try to get 6 (you can always borrow a few); ask questions; and just take your time.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    if you want to get started earlier, looks like there are AM and PM IDPA matches at peacemaker this Saturday which is prob 45min-1hr SW of Frederick. some different rules than ipsc/uspsa but for the most part it is similar (run around and shoot targets). pistol and holster, 3 mags with two mag pouches, eye and ear protection of course and generally you must wear a cover garment though they will certainly let you slide your first time out. 3 boxes of ammo for each match should move than cover you.

Are they not running USPSA at the same time like they did last year? IDPA does require a cover garment.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Hey good luck out there. Assuming you're running 8rnd mags try to get 6 (you can always borrow a few); ask questions; and just take your time.

Ok, got the mags.

I just want to try some shooting and moving I think its time to get my old fat ass moving not just static shooting.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    I just noticed you're in essex; check out York, PA, they run USPSA, SC, and 3-gun up there. Also, walnut ridge (summit point,WV) is about the same distance for you as thurmont. Finally, I definitely agree with jimbobborg about PTNC; its worth the drive, albeit it's probably about 2-2.25 hrs away from you.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex

Good luck!

Steve Thomas

Steve,

I will email you when I leave the shop tonight!!
    thank you!!

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    Short answer - no. To participate in a level 2 match or higher you must be. As previously mentioned, in order to be classified you must be a member.

I cannot speak for all ranges...but most Match Directors will allow the first run as a "gimme" after that you will need a membership.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom