• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikeasu

Feb 5, 2022
    Hey all,

Just about to revisit the old shooting hobby. Used to shoot quite a bit more around 10-11 years ago, back in AZ, mostly just for marksmanship with my Ruger mk3 and RIA 1911, was looking into bullseye. So now...wrapping up the carry permit paperwork and HQL here in MD. Thought I'd like to purchase a new handgun, probably 9mm, that would be a decent first carry, and something I could have some fun with at say, AGC and action shooting - falling steel, IDPA, etc. What might be a reasonable starting point along these lines? Last time I tried, wasn't a fan of Glocks, but that was 11 years ago - liked the feel of a Sig P320 yesterday at the shop in Mt Airy, but never shot one. Just starting to look, so any suggestions/ideas would be welcome! Also going to get my badge for AGC, hope to be shooting there quite a bit.

-Mike

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    320s are very popular , they have a few models so chances are you’ll find a fit.
    Glocks haven’t really changed so no reason to try them. I’d go to a range that has a large selections of rentals and work your way through them.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    go to a range that rents and try a bunch.

other than for idpa, where they have divisions for reasonable carry guns, in most cases you will be at odds between carry (small, concealable, lighter and more felt recoil, shorter sight radius) and competition (where you generally want larger, heavier to absorb recoil, longer sight radius, etc). so a good excuse to get TWO guns.

look up idpa equipment survey and also uspsa equipment survey to get an idea of most-used guns.

also, hit some matches you want to do and see what everyone is shooting. most will let you fondle and even shoot after the match is over (bring some ammo).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Falling steel and IDPA have vastly different handgun requirements. This is where you get burned shooting multiple sports - the kind of handguns I'd use in Falling Steel and 3gun are radically different than what I could use in USPSA and IDPA. And even USPSA and IDPA have significant areas where they diverge. Read the equipment rules before making a purchase. A lot of guys get burned when they buy a cool SAO pistol only to discover they can't use it some divisions they wanted to (USPSA CO!), or put an aftermarket trigger on their gun and get knocked out of IDPA SSP.

For example: the Shadow 2 OR and Beretta 92X (non-Defensive) Performance. Awesome pistols for USPSA Carry Optics, but getting them to "make weight" in IDPA CO is very difficult, and may require milling and grip changes. The Sig P320 X5 Legion, on the other hand, is weighted just right, even if the trigger won't get quite as nice as the Shadow 2's SA trigger.

Another example: 9mm minor 2011s. Great idea for IDPA, Falling Steel, and 3gun, terrible idea for USPSA (you want to be in major in Limited and Open, if possible, and they're not legal for CO or Production).

So, recommendations: the P320 X5 Legion probably has the most out of the box versatility for shooting sports, and sending it off to The Sig Armorer for an action+trigger job will get you a gun that's going to take you a long, long way. The Q5 Match SF is also not bad these days now that the competition trigger has been released, but the Sig has much more aftermarket support.

If you can't afford either of those two, buy a full-size P320 with an optic cut slide and upgrade it as you go. Fiber optic sights, a TXG grip, and a trigger job will get you really far.

FWIW, I have four P320 X5s (two dot equipped, two not) and love them to death, and believe I generally demonstrate pistol match results that back that up. I am currently looking into said 9mm 2011s to bump up my game in a couple other sports.

also, hit some matches you want to do and see what everyone is shooting. most will let you fondle and even shoot after the match is over (bring some ammo).
    This is good advice. I will generally lend out my backup guns if it'll help people. My experience is that gun stores in MD almost never have any idea whatsoever what guns people actually need for the action shooting sports, and they're not a great place to start the search.

Last edited:

Medusa Joe

Industry Partner
    May 28, 2020
    Hollywood, MD
    Hey all,

Just about to revisit the old shooting hobby. Used to shoot quite a bit more around 10-11 years ago, back in AZ, mostly just for marksmanship with my Ruger mk3 and RIA 1911, was looking into bullseye. So now...wrapping up the carry permit paperwork and HQL here in MD. Thought I'd like to purchase a new handgun, probably 9mm, that would be a decent first carry, and something I could have some fun with at say, AGC and action shooting - falling steel, IDPA, etc. What might be a reasonable starting point along these lines? Last time I tried, wasn't a fan of Glocks, but that was 11 years ago - liked the feel of a Sig P320 yesterday at the shop in Mt Airy, but never shot one. Just starting to look, so any suggestions/ideas would be welcome! Also going to get my badge for AGC, hope to be shooting there quite a bit.

-Mike

where are you located? if you're near us, then you can come by and feel/touch/size up many or our personal guns to see what fits nicely and determine what you may want to rent at a range. we're in hollywood MD. unfortunately, we don't own a sig P320, but we do have P226 (legion SAO and a DA/SA model), P229 (legion SAO and DA/SA model) and P365XL to test fit in your hands.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Sig 320
    Sig 320 x5
    Sig 365 or 365XL
    S&W M&P
    CZ Shadow series

There are tons of good options.
    You can certainly have different guns for each discipline but it’s not absolutely necessary.
    I shoot 3 gun, falling steel, and USPSA with the same pistol (M&P).
    I’m not going to be winning matches so I’m not really worried about having the best possible gun for power factor, etc. (USPSA), I just try to improve my skills every match.
    If you show up to a match at AGC that I’m shooting id be happy to let you put some rounds through my M&P.
    FWIW I don’t care for Glocks, hate the grip angle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Hey all,

-Mike

I'm more of a 1911 and XDM and XDS guy than a Glock guy. However, I do have a G43 for a CCW and like it pretty well. If I was buying it today, I would probably pick the G43X. I have no range experience with the P320, but like the way they feel in my hand. I also like the CZs. They feel nice and shoot nice.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Hey all,

Just about to revisit the old shooting hobby. Used to shoot quite a bit more around 10-11 years ago, back in AZ, mostly just for marksmanship with my Ruger mk3 and RIA 1911, was looking into bullseye. So now...wrapping up the carry permit paperwork and HQL here in MD. Thought I'd like to purchase a new handgun, probably 9mm, that would be a decent first carry, and something I could have some fun with at say, AGC and action shooting - falling steel, IDPA, etc. What might be a reasonable starting point along these lines? Last time I tried, wasn't a fan of Glocks, but that was 11 years ago - liked the feel of a Sig P320 yesterday at the shop in Mbm he met Airy, but never shot one. Just starting to look, so any suggestions/ideas would be welcome! Also going to get my badge for AGC, hope to be shooting there quite a bit.

-Mike

I'm more of a 1911 and XDM and XDS guy than a Glock guy. However, I do have a G43 for a CCW and like it pretty well. If I was buying it today, I would probably pick the G43X. I have no range experience with the P320, but like the way they feel in my hand. I also like the CZs. They feel nice and shoot nice.

philmadxx

Jul 16, 2013
    Try out as many as you can. I'm a fan of CZ personally, I like a hammer-fired steel gun. In my mind, Glocks take a lot of time and money to get them somewhat close to a CZ is out of the box - that's mostly a trigger issue I think, and the barrel won't shoot lead or cast bullets (not a big deal if you don't load) Honestly don't see the appeal of Sig - very cool no doubt but they seem to have a lot of problems and they still have that hammer fired trigger - ugh! Again, you can make it better but I'd rather shoot than work on a gun.

Again, try some out. Find what you like.

Good luck.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Here's a contrarian take: "how it feels in the hand" is an extremely bad way of evaluating handgun suitability for competition or much of anything else. Most shooters who don't compete seriously and/or have taken some advanced pistol classes don't even know how to grip a pistol effectively/efficiently. How are they going to legitimately evaluate what "feels right" correctly when they barely know how to hold a handgun properly in the first place? My favorite example is the G17 gen3, which "feels" really good on handling, right up until you realize that the whole gun works against you in terms of getting the highest grip possible - the finger swells, the thumb depression, and so forth. Compare that to a Sig P320 X-series grip, which, other than the slightly-too-large beavertail, is designed to get you as high as possible.

I have never noticed the "feel" of a handgun during a stage. I've certainly noticed recoil, the sights, and the trigger.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Here's a contrarian take: "how it feels in the hand" is an extremely bad way of evaluating handgun suitability for competition or much of anything else. Most shooters who don't compete seriously and/or have taken some advanced pistol classes don't even know how to grip a pistol effectively/efficiently. How are they going to legitimately evaluate what "feels right" correctly when they barely know how to hold a handgun properly in the first place? My favorite example is the G17 gen3, which "feels" really good on handling, right up until you realize that the whole gun works against you in terms of getting the highest grip possible - the finger swells, the thumb depression, and so forth. Compare that to a Sig P320 X-series grip, which, other than the slightly-too-large beavertail, is designed to get you as high as possible.

I have never noticed the "feel" of a handgun during a stage. I've certainly noticed recoil, the sights, and the trigger.

When they are talking about "feel", I believe they are referring to how well it fits your hand and whether or not it points naturally toward the target without adjusting your grip or forcing it. Those things make a big difference in both speed and accuracy that can be obtained by the individual. I can hit well with a Glock Gen3 but, the Gen 2 has a better "feel" and is much faster on target for me. Never did like those finger grooves. Thinking about removing them, just haven't made up my mind to do it or sell the Gen3.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD

I concur. My tactical sport feels like a brick. But it shoots amazing.

The OP has already been given advice to separate carry guns and competition guns, so I would just reiterate that. I'm partial to CZ for pistol sports, but any decent full size 9mm will get you started, so long as it's idpa legal.

What's your budget, OP? Enough for an X-Five and p365?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    When they are talking about "feel", I believe they are referring to how well it fits your hand and whether or not it points naturally toward the target without adjusting your grip or forcing it. Those things make a big difference in both speed and accuracy that can be obtained by the individual. I can hit well with a Glock Gen3 but, the Gen 2 has a better "feel" and is much faster on target for me. Never did like those finger grooves. Thinking about removing them, just haven't made up my mind to do it or sell the Gen3.

After using about half a dozen different pistols in uspsa for the past 6-8 years, I would suggest one thing. Your first points are impossible to tell in a store. Only by draw and fire a ton of times, and running them side by side on stages or classifiers.

I "thought" my shadow 2 was better in every way, and it was more accurate, but my times/scores are faster with the lighter SP01.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    When they are talking about "feel", I believe they are referring to how well it fits your hand and whether or not it points naturally toward the target without adjusting your grip or forcing it. Those things make a big difference in both speed and accuracy that can be obtained by the individual.
    It doesn't need to naturally point. You need to use your sights and dryfire until it feels natural. :)

tjiann

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2022
    AACo
    We'll, I'm new to handguns so can't really give advice. But I am a new member at AGC and now retired will be spending a decent amount of time up there. I have a new Sig p365xl with Romeo Zero red dot that I'll always have up there with me (I need a lot of practice) that you are welcome to try out when you are there and our days/times align.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom