• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I was taking a look at a S&W Combat Masterpiece, circa 1955. I fell in love with it immediately.

While finger banging it, the cylinder locked up and the hammer would only partially move. I let the employee know that the gun was not functioning properly and it started a two hour saga.

We took a closer look at it, and he thought that the cylinder and breech face were showing signs of overpressure reloads. Also, the ratchet was covered in burs. If the cylinder was pushed toward the breech face it would turn freely.

Any ideas on what caused this damage?

2a2f6c718ceb6a058d5efb5cf9383f9d.jpg
    53f79fd08b82defbf19c0e3aca86f89f.jpg
    98b8978d8fc698cd0bf99e4d58149986.jpg
    bf5efe1d7c2ea76a11d5efadb51a7a39.jpg

I'm not going to buy it. I offered to buy it, as-is, for $500 and they wouldn't do it. Kinda irritated me. They said they're sending it to the factory.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Good catch. Previous owner probably shot 686/GP100-type hot loads through it. Consider it a low-value wall hanger unless S&W says otherwise.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Good catch. Previous owner probably shot 686/GP100-type hot loads through it. Consider it a low-value wall hanger unless S&W says otherwise.
    They want $629 for it. That seemed kinda high and then I broke the thing just by cocking it a few times.

I think I'll hold out for a GP100 match champion or SR1911.

I checked out a 4" 686 but the barrel looks to have very light rifling in it. It almost looks like polygonal rifling. I'm not paying $600 for a shot out barrel.

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    Wait until you find the right one. I bought my 1953 Combat Masterpiece at the Dulles gun show on Jan 1 for $450. Best trigger I've ever felt on a pistol. I also had Ken check over the gun for me. I also thought they were all originally blued.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Wait until you find the right one. I bought my 1953 Combat Masterpiece at the Dulles gun show on Jan 1 for $450. Best trigger I've ever felt on a pistol. I also had Ken check over the gun for me. I also thought they were all originally blued.
    This one is a model 67. Stainless 38spl

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I think I'll hold out for a GP100 match champion or SR1911.

My two cents as a recent GP100 buyer. The standard 4" model is better than the Match Champion. Compare them closely before you buy. On the standard model, the front sight is super easy to swap out, the Hogue grip is better (even if butt ugly), and the trigger is just as good. With a basic trigger job, the standard trigger easily beats the Match Champion. On mine, I changed over to Meprolight night sights and Ruger's new GP100 compact grip. Glad I did.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    My two cents as a recent GP100 buyer. The standard 4" model is better than the Match Champion. Compare them closely before you buy. On the standard model, the front sight is super easy to swap out, the Hogue grip is better (even if butt ugly), and the trigger is just as good. With a basic trigger job, the standard trigger easily beats the Match Champion. On mine, I changed over to Meprolight night sights and Ruger's new GP100 compact grip. Glad I did.
    They don't have one in stainless . I really like the slab barrel profile on the match.

I just messaged a guy that has a Speed Six for sale. 1974 mfr date, round count of 24, never carried or holstered, and original box. I'm in love

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    They don't have one in stainless . I really like the slab barrel profile on the match.

I just messaged a guy that has a Speed Six for sale. 1974 mfr date, round count of 24, never carried or holstered, and original box. I'm in love

Ron at 3 R can get you a stainless GP100 for a nice price, 3 R. He usually has one or more in stock.

I have multiple Security and Speed Sixes. They are fantastic revolvers. I like them more than my Model 66 "no dash".

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008

Quoted this to follow the post from Boom Boom, and not to discount his opinion, or thoughts.

I sell both, and own the Match Champion so take this with a grain of salt.
    The MC does have a nicer stock trigger by far.
    The MC has polished (could be better, but not bad) bearing surfaces, and is shimmed for better alignment on the hammer. Both guns are over sprung from the factory with a 14lb hammer spring and a 12lb trigger return spring.( I dropped mine to a 10lb hammer, and a 8 lb trigger return spring with no ill effect).
    Both guns are built on the same frame so internal upgrades can always be done down the road to get the trigger where you are happy.
    I prefer wood grips for looks, concealment, and speed so the MC gets my vote there. The adjustable rear sight on the standard GP100 is going to be more fragile than the fixed Novak style (not sure if it actually is a Novak so I say style) rear on the MC. The front sight on the standard is WAY easier, and cheaper to replace than the front on the MC.
    I prefer a black rear, paired with a green fiber optic front sight on my "game guns" so the stock sights on the MC are right up my alley although the front sight is wider than I like.
    You can't go wrong with either gun and I would take either over a new S&W .357 all day long. (That too comes from someone who has a bunch of Smith revolvers).
    I know I just made your decision clear as mud.
    If you can swing the extra money I would say go with the MC but if you can't rest assured the standard GP100 is a fantastic revolver that will owe no excuses to anyone.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads