• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Can anyone identify the 9mm ammo I have here? The bullets attract a magnet.

Also it doesn't work, I think bad primers (2 fired out of 10 rounds and we used three different guns). I'm thinking I should just pull the bullets and throw out the powder and case. Advice?

uploadfromtaptalk1408069296846.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Maybe it's some 9mm submachine gun ammo with hard primers like the Israelis manufacture. It works fine in arms like the Uzi that fire from an open bolt but the primers are too hard to reliably detonate in a pistol.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    First off, I don't know if I'd recommend shooting that ammo out of your gun, if you don't know more about it.

Second, is that on a stripper clip?

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Maybe it's some 9mm submachine gun ammo with hard primers like the Israelis manufacture. It works fine in arms like the Uzi that fire from an open bolt but the primers are too hard to reliably detonate in a pistol.
    maybe. but it didn't go off from a Sig even after 5+ strikes. anyone have an Uzi to try it on? I a bunch of this ammo :cool:

d'Artagnan

Nov 4, 2008
    Ellicott City
    OK, that's a stripper clip for a Model 1912 Steyr Hahn. The original caliber was 9mm Steyr (9x23mm) but during WW2 some Model 1912's were converted to 9mm Luger (9x19mm). Since the Model 1912 doesn't have a detachable magazine, they still had to use the stripper clip to load the conversions despite the case base size difference. The ammo was indeed produced in Czechoslovakia (bxn - Sellier & Bellot, same code used under Nazi occupation) but the pictured box indicates in 1951. Not uncommon, you might want to sell it as collector ammo and buy newly manufactured ammo.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    OK, that's a stripper clip for a Model 1912 Steyr Hahn. The original caliber was 9mm Steyr (9x23mm) but during WW2 some Model 1912's were converted to 9mm Luger (9x19mm). Since the Model 1912 doesn't have a detachable magazine, they still had to use the stripper clip to load the conversions despite the case base size difference. The ammo was indeed produced in Czechoslovakia (bxn - Sellier & Bellot, same code used under Nazi occupation) but the pictured box indicates in 1951. Not uncommon, you might want to sell it as collector ammo and buy newly manufactured ammo.
    I would like to do that or maybe just trade. its a lot less work then pulling the bullets. I think I'll try the classifieds.

d'Artagnan

Nov 4, 2008
    Ellicott City
    Be careful what you search for, there might be MORE information.
    The stripper clips used in the Model 1912 Steyr Hahn pistol were also used in the Steyr-Solothurn S1-100 submachine gun -- adopted in 9mm Steyr (9x23) as MP.30 by Austrian Police and in 9mm Mauser (9x25) as MP.34 by Austrian military. When Nazi Germany occupied Austria, the MP.30's and MP.34's were converted to 9mm Luger. IMHO your ammo being in 40-round boxes is far more likely for these submachine guns, which had 32-round magazines, than for the 8-round-capacity 1912 Steyr Hahn. Afterall, both the Austrians and Nazis issued 16-round boxes for their pistols and submachine guns. So its hard to fathom what motivated the Czechoslovakians to pack them in 40-round boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom