• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    IDPA Announced that starting in January 2016 points down will go from adding .5 seconds to a full second time penalty.

Is this crazy talk? Discuss.

PS: it's crazy talk. IDPA is already too slow(relative to USPSA for example).

Last edited:

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I'm assuming they're going to change the classifier times to match this? It's going to stress accuracy more now and make up shots. I'll have to shoot a few matches with the new rules to see how it really affects the match.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Trevor, when are you going to rage quit and start shooting USPSA with us? :)

Its gonna happen! Scheduling is the only thing holding me back. Bennett sent me the list of matches, I just need to find the next one that I can do. I'm very busy with classes the next 5 weeks.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    well, given that it's not happening til 2106 we have a couple of decades to worry about it, haha.

I'm fine with it and frankly think misses and no-shoot penalties should be increased. this is supposed to mimic life on the streets and you miss a bad guy and kill an innocent and you'll either be in jail and/or working til age 105 to pay off the lawsuit, not to mention the mental devastation that will surely occur.

either way, the guy with the most points per second (or least points down per second) wins the match, so going slow isn't the full recipe for success.

that said, because of the subjectivity involved (eg cover calls) and the excessive rules (reloading etc), while I enjoy idpa, I definitely enjoy uspsa more.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    At the end of the day it's a game, and a certain type of player that might have been holding on and dabbling in both IDPA and USPSA will be firmly pushed to USPSA when this rule takes effect. There are a lot of guys that want to run fast and shoot a lot of rounds. And the IDPA will likely loose a lot of them.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    At the end of the day it's a game, and a certain type of player that might have been holding on and dabbling in both IDPA and USPSA will be firmly pushed to USPSA when this rule takes effect. There are a lot of guys that want to run fast and shoot a lot of rounds. And the IDPA will likely loose a lot of them.

That's not what IDPA was ever supposed to be though. That's what USPSA is for.

The constant rule changes of IDPA are frustrating though. Figures I joined during the year of no reloading while in motion... They repeal the rule and I haven't had a chance to go to a match, haha.

Swearengen

Nov 13, 2012
    Baltimore Co.
    Trevor, when are you going to rage quit and start shooting USPSA with us? :)

Jason's right come over to the gamer side. Hang up the photographer vest for a double belt and drop offset holster. Drop mags with rounds left in them, move more than 10yds a stage, have speed actually matter, and best of all no bs cover calls because your toe was outside of cover haha. :party29:

This seems like a mistake for IDPA. The top shooters won't be effected by this just the new shooter/marksman/sharpshooter will see their times go up dramatically. Seems like this rule change will just drive younger and faster shooters to USPSA. IDPA already punishes inaccuracy enough no one is winning major matches by dropping points all over the place.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    IDPA was invented on purpose to be different from IPSC ( as called @ the time ).( In the Dark Ages , IPSC was invented to be different from SWPL , which had become unrealistly Gamey.)

The rule changes will reinforce the origional contrsts with IPSC . Which any individual prefers is personal decision.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    IDPA already punishes inaccuracy enough no one is winning major matches by dropping points all over the place.

everyone says that about idpa, but let's not forget uspsa doesn't take kindly to misses and hitting no shoots. each wipe out two a-zone hits so basically don't count another target's 10 points. slow and accurate or fast and sloppy ain't going to win you a match in either game. btw, the uspsa rulebook is over 100 pages.

again I prefer uspsa but they're both fun with different purposes.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Jason's right come over to the gamer side. Hang up the photographer vest for a double belt and drop offset holster. Drop mags with rounds left in them, move more than 10yds a stage, have speed actually matter, and best of all no bs cover calls because your toe was outside of cover haha. :party29:

This seems like a mistake for IDPA. The top shooters won't be effected by this just the new shooter/marksman/sharpshooter will see their times go up dramatically. Seems like this rule change will just drive younger and faster shooters to USPSA. IDPA already punishes inaccuracy enough no one is winning major matches by dropping points all over the place.

This may not be totally correct. I just shot a classifier a week ago. I looked at the results and compared the points down between myself, the top two shooters and one near the bottom.

I was 20 points down. That's an add of 10 seconds under the new rules. That did not change my class. I was very close to ne next class by only 2.5 seconds.
    The two top shooters were 30 and 27 points down.
    One near the bottom was 21 points down.

Based on this, it does not appear that the slower shooters are being affected as badly as the faster shooters!

I agree we need to wait and see how it plays out. They will make more changes if the think it is not right. They only kept the flat footed reload for the one year and changed it back because we complained.

At the end of the day, we all shoot under the same rules and point system and we compete in our own class/divisions. I just don't think this is as bad as it may sound. I admit I was a bit more reluctant as well until I looked at the actual stats above.

Correction: the match I was looking at was the a regular IDPA match, not a classifier. However, the logic still stands

Last edited:

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    OK. I pulled up the classifier from the week before. The points are higher because of stage 3, of course.

The top two shooters were 48 & 53 points down. I was 57 points down. The bottom were around 93 - 97 down. I did not count some of the lower shooters that were obviously very new to the sport.

In this case, the new rules will affect the slower shooters more. Of course we have to see where they put the class breakpoints when they re-evaluate them for the classifier. I am assuming they will.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    OK. I pulled up the classifier from the week before. The points are higher because of stage 3, of course.

The top two shooters were 48 & 53 points down. I was 57 points down. The bottom were around 93 - 97 down. I did not count some of the lower shooters that were obviously very new to the sport.

In this case, the new rules will affect the slower shooters more. Of course we have to see where they put the class breakpoints when they re-evaluate them for the classifier. I am assuming they will.

The good shooters shoot BOTH fast and accurately and will still be at the top of the scoreboard. The mid level shooters that shoot slowly with few points down will see their "performabce" go up where as the mid level guys that are quick but less accurate will see their match placement go down and be frustrated by it. Forget USPSA for a second, I don't want ANYONE driven away from a shooting sport. We need all the bodies we can get.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    The good shooters shoot BOTH fast and accurately and will still be at the top of the scoreboard. The mid level shooters that shoot slowly with few points down will see their "performabce" go up where as the mid level guys that are quick but less accurate will see their match placement go down and be frustrated by it. Forget USPSA for a second, I don't want ANYONE driven away from a shooting sport. We need all the bodies we can get.

Agree. Will probably just see a bigger variance in scores from top to bottom.

The active shooting sports all have their place and are far more exciting than sitting or standing still while poking holes in defenseless paper.:party29:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Damn right!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

yeah I can count on one hand the number of times I have been to a static range just punching paper (other than sighting in a new toy) since I started uspsa, idpa, steel challenge, etc. folks who aren't doing any of this are seriously missing out on some fun and frankly skills improvement.

jason.krywicki

Sep 8, 2007
    GB, MD
    IDPA is a great beginner league into the action pistol sports. No thinking, little movement. They have embraced this role seemingly.

IDPA is a game just like USPSA. If you do artificial things to make the game less fun, then you'll drive away better competitors period. If I hear one more person tell me that USPSA will get you "killed in the streets", I'm going to scream. Answer this for me - if there are bullets come in at you, won't you instinctively hide unless you have a death wish?

USPSA is about eleventy billion times more challenging and entertaining that IDPA.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    IDPA is a great beginner league into the action pistol sports. No thinking, little movement. They have embraced this role seemingly.

IDPA is a game just like USPSA. If you do artificial things to make the game less fun, then you'll drive away better competitors period. If I hear one more person tell me that USPSA will get you "killed in the streets", I'm going to scream. Answer this for me - if there are bullets come in at you, won't you instinctively hide unless you have a death wish?

USPSA is about eleventy billion times more challenging and entertaining that IDPA.

It sure is more entertaining. I love watching all the shooters walk through the stages time and time again in exaggerated slow motion, then real quick shuffling and running.

It's kind of like a cross between Elaine Benes and Dubstep with guns.

:D

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    IDPA states their goal clearly in the rule book, geared towards the "new and average shooter".

I feel they should just have all stages par time, this way even the very slowest can take their sweet time.

At least the rules were somewhat stable before Bill and Joyce got divorced. I think Joyce has too many voices in her ears thus the recent swings in the rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom