• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I was putting together some IDPA-related information for a buddy of mine and thought it might be helpful for other peole who may be new to IDPA or who may be thinking about checking it out.

Most IDPA clubs hold fairly regular matches that are usually fairly casual. Someone interested in checking out IDPA can participate in a match without joining IDPA, but will need to join after that first match if they wish to continue. I think annual dues are $40, so joining probably won't break the bank, and you do get a monthly magazine focused on IDPA. (I added those last couple of sentences because Dchaleyultra makes a good point in the next post, and it's worth including here.) Also, a new participant can shoot in these local matches for a long time and never shoot the Classifier. However, if you ever want to particpate in a sancitoned match, you will need to have shot the classifier so the match orgamizers will know where you fit, and so you'l be competing against others in your classification, and not aginst experts or masters if you're a novice or marksman. Keeps it more enjoyable for everyone.

So what is the classifier? The IDPA classifier is the course of fire that determines your classification. I think it's a good idea to shoot at least 3-4 of the more casual club-level matches first, so that you're more confident and comfortable with your surroundings and the process. In the absence of other competitive shooting experience, most people will usually initially classify as either novice or marksman.

Here are a few video clips that may help:

This first clip is thorough and walks all the way through the classifier. However, the clip moves along quickly, so you might want to be ready to pause and rewind once in a while so you're clear on what they're doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcgsd9_cBm8

This next clip shows the classifier from the perspective of an expert-level qualifying shooter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MNuOVYU4MU

This final clip presents the classifier on your computer or TV, giving you the commands, the horn, etc, and is an opportunity for you to become familiar with the stages in somewhat real-time. You can even dry-fire the whole thing right there. If your family or dog is watching & thinks you're weird, that's on you. I think doing this is a good idea since from my own experience it helps with stage familiarity, and to be able to focus on your shooting the first time instead of worrying about shooting the stages incorrectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYpKGHFDaOw

Finally, here is a web page with lots of good advice regarding the classifier, including to not practice the classifier: http://www.ccidpa.org/classifier-tips.html

Enjoy!

Last edited:

dcharleyultra

Feb 16, 2013
    NoVA
    The IDPA Shooter Responsibilities and Code of Conduct states that the shooter will maintain a current IDPA Membership after their first match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    The IDPA Shooter Responsibilities and Code of Conduct states that the shooter will maintain a current IDPA Membership after their first match.

Right, but that's not related to whether or not they've shot the classifier.

dcharleyultra

Feb 16, 2013
    NoVA
    True, and I probably made some incorrect assumptions.

I was referring back to the second sentence of your second paragraph, regarding shooting several matches.

In hindsight, I made a leap

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    True, and I probably made some incorrect assumptions.

I was referring back to the second sentence of your second paragraph, regarding shooting several matches.

In hindsight, I made a leap

No worries.

Do you shoot IDPA in the area? One of these days I'l make it out to Peacemaker, but I mostly shoot at TCSC.

dcharleyultra

Feb 16, 2013
    NoVA
    It's been a while since I've been to Thurmont. I typically shoot at AAFG.

I've made one of Cody's matches at Peacemaker, and will be at the WV Championships.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    It's been a while since I've been to Thurmont. I typically shot at AAFG.

I've made one of Cody's matches at Peacemaker, and will be at the WV Championships.

He previewed a 2 or 3 of his WV Championship stages yesterday at our TCSC match, & it looks like it's going to be a fun & interestig. Good luck!

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    This next clip shows the clasifier from the perspective of an expert-level classifier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MNuOVYU4MU

Ignore stage 1 strings 1-3 in this video. You will not be able to stand directly in front of the targets for those strings as this shooter did. You will be required to shoot from the center line directly in front of the middle target.

This is a leftover from some weak language on the old website and in old rulebooks. Both have been updated.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Ignore stage 1 strings 1-3 in this video. You will not be able to stand directly in front of the targets for those strings as this shooter did. You will be required to shoot from the center line directly in front of the middle target.

DOH! Good catch - I didn't even notice that when I watched it at first. I wouldn't ignore it altogether, but you're right, the shooting position is just slightly different. Even with that, it still gives a good sense of the event from the shooters view. Thanks Aaron!

Do you have any one particular club at which you shoot regularly?

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    DOH! Good catch - I didn't even notice that when I watched it at first. I wouldn't ignore it altogether, but you're right, the shooting position is just slightly different. Even with that, it still gives a good sense of the event from the shooters view. Thanks Aaron!

Do you have any one particular club at which you shoot regularly?

Yep, you're right. Don't totally ignore those strings. The shooting position will just be at the intersection of the 7 yard line and the center line.

As for where I shoot, let me put it this way.

I don't always shoot IDPA. But when I do, I prefer AAFG.

I was once much more regular there than I am now.

Raginrog

Apr 6, 2015
    AA county
    Good info. I too shoot at AAFG, attending at least 1 match a month. There's always good guys shooting from various walks of life. My advice would be to take the range's safety course, sign up for a couple of matches and get comfortable with the commands and operation of your firearm before thinking of doing a classifier.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    I also am a regular at AAFG. I wouldn't worry about what type of match to start with. Study the rules and start shooting. Don't put it off. My first time was a Classifier. I was very conscious and careful because I didn't want to do anything wrong. Everything went fine. They are a good group to shoot with and learn from. The most important thing is safety. Don't worry about competition. The main person you will be competing against is yourself.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I also am a regular at AAFG. I wouldn't worry about what type of match to start with. Study the rules and start shooting. Don't put it off. My first time was a Classifier. I was very conscious and careful because I didn't want to do anything wrong. Everything went fine. They are a good group to shoot with and learn from. The most important thing is safety. Don't worry about competition. The main person you will be competing against is yourself.
    This.

Then again, you're probably one of those people who classified sharpshooter on day-one, right? :-)

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Good info. I too shoot at AAFG, attending at least 1 match a month. There's always good guys shooting from various walks of life. My advice would be to take the range's safety course, sign up for a couple of matches and get comfortable with the commands and operation of your firearm before thinking of doing a classifier.
    I did the safety course at AAFG last fall, but haven't been able to match my schedule w/ any matches there yet. I'm only about 15 minutes from TCSC, so that's my go-to place, but I'm determined to make it to AAFG one of these days!

Btw, anyone spring in the WV State Match? I'll be watching the squads on that Sunday, but am out of town for Friday & Saturday.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I did the safety course at AAFG last fall, but haven't been able to match my schedule w/ any matches there yet. I'm only about 15 minutes from TCSC, so that's my go-to place, but I'm determined to make it to AAFG one of these days!

Btw, anyone spring in the WV State Match? I'll be watching the squads on that Sunday, but am out of town for Friday & Saturday.
    I am shooting the WV state match at PNTC on Sunday I think (Squad 44). I was the one that got Cody to setup the classifier for the last Thurmont match and a few others ran it also (I had not shot one since 2013). I ended up shooting the match in the morning with my DW 9mm Guardian in ESP but had to shoot the classifier with my HK USP-C because it was the only SSP eligible gun I had. Legally I should have shot it with the original .357Sig barrel but doing some practice I realized I had hardly shot the caliber in over 2 years and I was horrible so I shot the classifier with the 9mm barrel knowing I would have to shoot the WV match in .357Sig or get another gun. I elected the latter. Drove over to Valley Guns II, found that had a Glock 17 in stock and walked out with it 15 minutes later. Glad I kept a couple of the mags I setup for my Glock 34 in 17 rd. stock condition so I have 3 17s for the match. Dropped in a few legal parts I had lying around that got the trigger down to 4.5#. Not close to the 3# in my 34 but I can handle it. Had to buy an IDPA legal holster also as my 34 holsters are all racey in nature. Can't practice this week as I have a big Steel Challenge weekend. PNTC on Saturday for practice and then on Sunday the Tier 3 event at Old Bridge, NJ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom