• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I am a long time shooter, but have never competed before. I am interested in trying out the IDPA matches as they seem pretty accessible and fun.

I'm more interested in just honing skills as opposed to really competing.
    What don't need to know?

I was looking on some websites and it looks like some places require that I have some kind of certified firearms training (nra basic pistol etc). I don't have this particular training, but was wondering if this is a prerequisite for entering into these competitions or if another training would suffice?

Thanks in advance.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    some places want you to come out before a match and basically show you're competent in your gun handling and safety skills and learn any of their specialized range rules. some you can just sign up and come out and shoot.

Thurmont north of Frederick is one of the former, and Peacemaker west of Frederick is one of the latter. Search thru this forum for info on both and other idpa venues.

the big thing is safety - finger outside trigger guard unless you're actually shooting, muzzle pointed downrange.

I usually run a squad at peacemaker and next match is a week from Saturday, you're welcome to come out and give it a try.

a perfect match for those new to competition is steel challenge. no running, no reloads on the clock, just shoot at five various steel targets as fast as you can, round count 125 plus more for any misses. peacemaker is doing this Saturday as well as a uspsa match (which is sorta similar to idpa - run around and shoot targets) so you can shoot one, spectate the other and get a feel for all of this.

Swearengen

Nov 13, 2012
    Baltimore Co.
    You'll need a safe, legal holster (no drop-leg, no appendix, SERPA aren't legal at some clubs), two mag pouches (worn on the belt; you can just use your pockets if you want), at least 3 mags, eyes, ears, something to cover the gun/holster/mags (long shirt, vest, jacket, etc.), 200 rounds or so of ammo.

Check out Thurmont (TCSC) http://tcandsc.org/tcscIDPAMatches.htm and AAFG http://aafgidpa.com/
    Both require safety courses of one type or another but are very friendly to new shooters.

I believe Peacemaker doesn't require any specific training so long as you are safe http://www.peacemakernational.com/events?l=viewEvent&eventID=558

Sanner's Lake hosts IDPA matches but I'm not sure on the requirements http://sannerslake.org/

The NRA range also holds IDPA matches but not sure on the requirements http://nrahqrange.nra.org/events,-classes-seminars.aspx

More matches can be found at: https://www.codyhasammo.com/Articles.asp?ID=250

The training requirement varies from club to club some require specific classes, some just ask you be safe and tell the MD/SO you are new. I recommend taking a class if offered just to learn the safety requirements and rules. Whatever you choose just be sure to focus on being safe, go slow, and have fun.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Sanners .. No requirements but safety is priority. If you follow the idpa rule and didn't get dq'd... You be gtg.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Thanks to all who have replied so far. I'll review some of the links.

I appreciate the gear info as well.

I'm familiar with and practice safety rules at all times. I realize though that I have to convince others I'm safe, so that shouldn't be too hard.

I will look into some of the matches mentioned and see if I can make it.

Just found out my son has double ear infection so that may slow down the weekend for me.

Thank you all so far.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    AAFG requires you to attend their own training before your first match. They walk you through the rules, commands, a stage, etc.

Sent from my note 4 using Tapatalk.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I suggest doing Thurmont first simply because of their pre match class for shooters new to competition. Many places just throw you in. Good thing to do before your first match is read the rulebook and practice both drawing a firearm and doing mag swaps. Not like USPSA gaming where you can just drop them out while running the stage. In IDPA you have to both do a mag change behind cover and retain the previous mag even if only to stick it in a pocket. That is how I started in IDPA, at Thurmont.

Jacqueline

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Mar 1, 2013
    Take the Intro to IDPA class at AAFG on the 2nd Saturday of the month

I am a long time shooter, but have never competed before. I am interested in trying out the IDPA matches as they seem pretty accessible and fun.

I'm more interested in just honing skills as opposed to really competing.
    What don't need to know?

I was looking on some websites and it looks like some places require that I have some kind of certified firearms training (nra basic pistol etc). I don't have this particular training, but was wondering if this is a prerequisite for entering into these competitions or if another training would suffice?

Thanks in advance.

I suggest taking the Intro to IDPA class at AAFG on Saturday, June 13th from 9:30-1:30pm

You can sign up by sending an email to aafgidpa-owner@yahoogroups.com.

They offer this class often on the 2nd Saturday of the month.

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    I suggest taking the Intro to IDPA class at AAFG on Saturday, June 13th from 9:30-1:30pm

You can sign up by sending an email to aafgidpa-owner@yahoogroups.com.

They offer this class often on the 2nd Saturday of the month.

I agree. I am a longtime bullseye shooter. In the last year, I shot my first IDPA and Steel Challenge matches at AAFG after going through their class. Good folks. Well run matches.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I have been through the NRA basic & advanced courses and have several NRA insturcotr ratings as well as RSO. In addition, I've been participating at the IDPA matches at TCSC for the last year. That said, I've been through the TCSC pre-match safety orientation, as well as their 6 hour or so, 2-3 times per year IDA skils course. I've also been through the AAFG IDPA safety orientation and course, and find all of them to be great experiences & I've learned from all of them, and think they are complimentary to the NRA courses, without requiring the NRA courses as pre-requisites.

Unfortunately I've been able to make it out to Peacemaker yet, but they are well represented here, and numeroud people who shot at TCSC & AAFG also shoot there. I've yet to meet anyone in this area who hasn't welcomed new shooters, and been willing to give advice or suggestions when asked, without being condescending. I'm sure those people exist, but there are enough ladies and gentlemen of the sport out there to make it a good experience.

Check out the TCSC & AAFG websites, get on their emailing lists, check out the IDPA rule book at http://members.idpa.com/Content/Rules/x2gukat1.wyt.pdf, especially the equipment rules, (detailed without being overly oneous), and either jump on in or pick a match at one of the three ranges, pack your hearing protection, and go watch. You're going to have enjoy it either way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom