• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have a pre-ban PTR-91, and if I could pick one 308, it wouldn't be that. Nothing wrong with it, I enjoy shooting mine, but it's got limitations.
    For practicality, I agree (putting on a scope for one thing). My original answer is a bolt action rifle. But the PTR-91's are cool and fun.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    The OP question is dependant upon semi-automatic versus other (bolt action, single shot, ?) and also Maryland versus elsewhere.

In the peoples republic of Marystan, the AR in .308 is the clear winner for price and availability as well as all of the other criteria like manual of arms, parts availability (including magazines of course). I personally really like the now banned in Maryland for new purchase M1A and FN FAL. They are both simply classics

In bolt guns, if on a budget, I would go Savage hands down because I am left handed and am completely satisfied with the Savage southpaw bolt guns I have. I know not enough to weight in on high end bolt guns. But, I know enough to know that I neither need nor can (justify) afford them, particularly in lefty.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I happen to like the g3 pattern rifles. I have one that was an all matching hk that was two saw.cuts and we rebuilt it into a "ptr91".

The 91t I referenced above is a different critter. I've only ever seen two. MSG1 trigger pack. Two piece hk21 buffer. All polished internals. Shoots like a midgrade bolt gun with m80 ball. With 155 match handloads it will go half moa.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I have my M1A Scout and thanks to the MGA, I'm glad I got it when I did.

If I was looking to replace it, I would stay with a Scout rifle setup.

Most likely a Mossberg MVP or Savage due to costs.

The Steyr and Ruger Gunsite are great but too nice and pricey for a battle rattle/ truck gun.
    The M1A Scout is the first thing I will be purchasing if Bianchi ever gets decided correctly. The Ruger Gunsite Scout is my favorite .308 in the meantime.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I only own one rifle in 308. It’s a Winchester Model 88 lever gun with an older Leupold VXII 3X9-40. Shoots MOA. Love it and would never sell it. It’s a deer slayer. I have a few other bolt guns in 7mm and 6.5 CM. If I were to go for another 308 it would probably be an AR10. JMHO

Attachments

• IMG_3670.jpeg
      IMG_3670.jpeg
      220 KB · Views: 12

wailer

Oct 2, 2008
    Largo
    I’m surprised to see the SCAR-17 mentioned so frequently in this thread, didn’t think it had much of a following. Not a knock, it’s what I have too and is my choice for this thread.

Yes indeed, many options to be had of course, but what is not to love about a low recoil, battle proven, light rifle in a big package, my only hang up is I didn’t get the FDE…

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    As a youngster, I always wanted a FN FAL or FAL Para especially when I saw Brit SAS or Rhodesian Selous Scouts carrying them. Wasn't a big fan of the wood furniture

FN-FAL-4278688933.jpg
    phpThumb-294456533.jpg
    rhodesian-light-infantry-re-enactor-28736-2199510540.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Years ago I ended up with a bunch of 7.62x51 and ,308

So now I "need" a .308 rifle, Though I have no immediate use for one

Howa bolt action or base grade AR308 ?
    User dependent. I love me a nice bolt action rifle and I particularly love the Howa 1500/1500 mini series. I've got a mini in 6.5 grendel and in .223. I plan to pick one up in .308 at some point.

The Howa is almost certainly going to shot shoot a base grade AR308 and be a lot lighter at the same time.

That AR308 could be a lot more fun. IMHO, you are talking a $1000-1500 AR-10 (factory) AR-10 to outshoot what is a $600 Howa 1500. But if Semi-auto is your thing, go with that. Or do both. I've got an AR-10 I put together that shoots fantastically that was a little under $1,000 including the glass on it. I also have a Sako Forester AII in .308 that is even more accurate...for about 3 rounds and then the shots open up unless I give it 5-10 minutes to cool down. The AR-10 is more than capable of good accuracy round after round.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Having been down this road, but wanting to do it with a 223, I kinda went down the rabbit hole and spent a whole lot more than my original budget. However, I LOVE the gun I built. I know that there are guys who like to make claims like, "my gun is a .5 MOA rifle all day long!" Well, this one actually is - if there is a weakness, it's the meat bag behind it. (my rifle is realistically a .25 MOA gun, even though I'm not a .25 MOA shooter.)

So here's what I'd build: (because this is basically what I already did)

-- Bighorn Origin short action
    -- Shilen or Criterion prefit barrel (with Savage style barrel nut)
    -- Triggertech trigger (I chose the Primary)
    -- KRG Bravo Chassis - this is a wonderful option that allows for AICS pattern magazines, an easily adjustable comb, and spacers for correct LOP. It also looks like a stock, even though it's a chassis.
    -- Scope of your choosing

Dunno - maybe I just got lucky, but my build is insanely accurate. I love the fact that I got to choose everything that went into it, and I put it together in my home.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Having been down this road, but wanting to do it with a 223, I kinda went down the rabbit hole and spent a whole lot more than my original budget. However, I LOVE the gun I built. I know that there are guys who like to make claims like, "my gun is a .5 MOA rifle all day long!" Well, this one actually is - if there is a weakness, it's the meat bag behind it. (my rifle is realistically a .25 MOA gun, even though I'm not a .25 MOA shooter.)

So here's what I'd build: (because this is basically what I already did)

-- Bighorn Origin short action
    -- Shilen or Criterion prefit barrel (with Savage style barrel nut)
    -- Triggertech trigger (I chose the Primary)
    -- KRG Bravo Chassis - this is a wonderful option that allows for AICS pattern magazines, an easily adjustable comb, and spacers for correct LOP. It also looks like a stock, even though it's a chassis.
    -- Scope of your choosing

Dunno - maybe I just got lucky, but my build is insanely accurate. I love the fact that I got to choose everything that went into it, and I put it together in my home.
    Not luck. Just saying.

Multiple people on this board have this same general setup. Plenty of people off the board too. I may know something about why they all have this rig. It's part of the reason my username subline is "bad influence".

My TL3 in 6br is a .25-.35moa rifle with berger 88s jammed hard over Benchmark. It averaged sub half across ten charge weights during load development. It averaged right at half moa for ten.charge weights with 105s and 107s. Best loads in the .3s consistently. It is not an accident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom