• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    ...you should get one. Fun gun.

Took mine out for the first time today and got a few 1" groups at 50 meters unsupported (yeah, yeah ... short range and all that). I fired a mix of ancient 7.62 from the 40s and some modern non-corrosive stuff from Wolf. There was a big difference in the kick between the two rounds.

The extractor needs a little buffing but other than that the action was smooth. I can take a tool to it but I prefer the "gotta shoot 10,000 rounds through it to smooth it out" method. :)

I'll be taking it to a longer range next time to see what I can do.

I used the hot water and then hoppes method of cleaning. I'll be checking the bore in a day or two to see how it's doing.

D.

namelessname120

Jul 6, 2011
    i'm a mosin rookie. Where can i go to shoot some rounds? More important is how do i get the cosnoline off and what else do i need to worry about before putting some round through it?

Vincent

Jul 5, 2012
    Towson
    my son and i just got a Mosin at the York gun show. There are multiple youtube vids that demonstrate how to take them down and clean them. I agree, they are a blast. I want to get a 2nd one now. I thing the 2 biggest things to keep in mind: clean it well before you take it out and if you use the Russian military ammo, neutralize the salts from the corrosive ammo fairly quickly after you finish shooting. We sprayed the bore and the bolt down with Windex ( ammonia) in the parking lot, and I used Ballistrol the clean and lube when I got home. It is a tack driver though. First mod is going to be a pad on the stock, lol

damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    The Youtube videos are kind of confusing at first -- mostly because the folks tend to use Neutralize and Dissolve as if they're the same thing. One batch says Windex is ok. Another group says water will do the trick. Another group will say to use a water based solvent that black powder shooters have been using for years. I think it's mostly the WATER in the Windex that is doing the magic.

I boiled some water, throw the bolt into it and then ran a bunch of very hot patches through the bore until the color started to lighten up. Then switched to the brush...then a bit more water...then the brush again. Then hoppes and oil. Took me about 20 minutes -- I suspect that it'll go faster as I use it more.

As to the pad -- *I* don't feel like I need one because the thing is heavy enough to handle the recoil well. To each their own. :)

D.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    pick up a 1891/59 ftw

Had one. Ended up selling it. I couldn't hit anything with it and my groups at 50 were like a shotgun. Also when I fully disassembled it I noticed areas where there was definite stress from the recoil. I was afraid to keep firing it.

Ill stick with my long mosin.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Nuthin' but cheap Russian junk.....

Figured I'd beat Blackbart to the punchline :innocent0 :D

They yam what they yam, if one MUST get Euro relics get the best. ;)

98kb.jpg

=GoMango=

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 26, 2012
    Anne Arundel Co.
    i'm a mosin rookie. Where can i go to shoot some rounds? More important is how do i get the cosnoline off and what else do i need to worry about before putting some round through it?

You should have asked me when you got the ammo ;)

If Bowie is not to far I am a member at Berwyn Rod & Gun Club and you could meet me there to try out your new Mosin rifle :thumbsup:

I use mineral spirits and a brush on most the metal parts in a pan like an oil drain pan.
    Automotive spray can brake parts cleaner works good on the hard to reach places along with some rags and Q-Tips.
    Just remember to oil all the metal well after with CLP or similar oil because the metal will be bare and unprotected after spraying with brake parts cleaner.

damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    An M44 would be good as well -- someone buy one so you can transfer it to me. Ok? Ok.

:)

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    What American guns ain't good enough for you people? Next thing you know you'll be eating borscht, drinkin' vodka, and singing The Internationale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom