GA570.jpg

G1vV7.jpg

zAG6f.jpg

Forager

Imported curmudgeon
    Feb 12, 2012
    In the Lion's den
    Awesome.

Maryland Shall Issue might want to contact IllinoisCarry and see about licensing or getting permission to use similar ads here.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I have a problem with using State Police in uniforms in these ads. It's not about citizens versus police, it's citizens versus elected officials.

Also, are some of these images of State Police photoshopped and did they give permission?

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I have a problem with using State Police in uniforms in these ads. It's not about citizens versus police, it's citizens versus elected officials.

Also, are some of these images of State Police photoshopped and did they give permission?

I agree -- this is less about citizens vs police than citizens vs elected officials, but to the extent IL police are not forceful advocates for R2KBA I'd lump them here with the elected officials and whack away.

as for permission to use their images, they are public servants and their uniforms were paid for by taxpayers. Taxpayers own the images. I'm not a copyright expert, and IANAL, but I don't see any need for permissions. First amendment seems clearly to apply, no?

Forager

Imported curmudgeon
    Feb 12, 2012
    In the Lion's den
    I agree -- this is less about citizens vs police than citizens vs elected officials, but to the extent IL police are not forceful advocates for R2KBA I'd lump them here with the elected officials and whack away.

as for permission to use their images, they are public servants and their uniforms were paid for by taxpayers. Taxpayers own the images. I'm not a copyright expert, and IANAL, but I don't see any need for permissions. First amendment seems clearly to apply, no?

It's not about cops vs. non-cops. Illinois State Police conduct the trainings and make those recommendations. Illinois State Police currently lobby VERY hard against any right to carry in that state. Per those facts, the ads are accurate and legitimate.

When you have groups like the International Association of Chiefs of Police and others that are basically a shill-groups for gun prohibition speaking on behalf of the police, it's a little hard to support the argument that it's not "Citizens versus Police". Because it in fact it is just that.

It is "Citizens versus the police", because Chiefs have made it that way. These people are often appointed by elected officials, and tow the line or are uniformed, sanctioned mouthpieces for the politicians who hire them. Really, there is no distinction whatsoever between an appointed Chief and an elected politician, except that no one voted for the Chief. That is why being a County Sheriff carries so much more credibility than being a Chief - because that Sheriff is directly accountable to and representaive of the values of the voters that put him in office.

Individual police officers can be good or bad, just like everyone else, and lots of them are good - as evidenced by our own LEO members here.

But individual police officers DO NOT make departmental policy, or speak on the behalf of departments - Chiefs and management do. And when you have Chiefs advocating against the rights of Citizens, then they are alienating those Citizens.

I generally like cops. I have HUGE X LARGE suspicsion of police departments, for this very reason.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    In one or two sentences ....

What is the message MSI would want to advertise?

Maryland legislators want you to have to wait until AFTER you've been raped, beaten, or otherwise assaulted to give you a permit to carry a concealed handgun.

It takes a criminal 5 minutes to illegally buy a gun and illegally carry it concealed in Maryland. It takes over (some number) of days to legally buy a gun and legally obtain a permit to carry it concealed in Maryland.

Something like either of those.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    How about a picture of 2 small kids and a stack of money side by side, the caption could read:

"Maryland thinks only one of these is worth protecting:support our right to protect our families"

05FLHT

Jan 14, 2011
    It's not about cops vs. non-cops. Illinois State Police conduct the trainings and make those recommendations. Illinois State Police currently lobby VERY hard against any right to carry in that state. Per those facts, the ads are accurate and legitimate.

The Director of the ISP is appointed by the Governor and will either 'toe the line' or be out looking for a new job. We have just about every police organization in Illinois supporting HB148 (our concealed carry bill), except the Chicago brass and the ISP.

The stuff from these ads is actually listed on the ISP site -

http://www.isp.state.il.us/crime/saconfronted.cfm

Fighting for your safety may be necessary. However, if you start out fighting you cancel any other options that might be open to you. Since many attacks on women are not sexually motivated, and are designed to degrade and humiliate, talking your way out of it may be easier.

There is documentation of assailants that left a would-be-victim alone after she told him that she was pregnant and it would kill her baby. (Some case were women that were too old to even have a baby.)
    Telling an attacker that you have VD or AIDS can discourage him.
    It may sound disgusting, but putting your fingers into you throat and making yourself vomit usually gets results. (This method is not often used except as a last resort.)
    Use your imagination and you can think of others.
    The above methods are particularly important if your assailant has a gun or knife, or there is more than one attacker. (Fighting would probably be futile.)

Forager

Imported curmudgeon
    Feb 12, 2012
    In the Lion's den
    Maryland legislators want you to have to wait until AFTER you've been raped, beaten, or otherwise assaulted to give you a permit to carry a concealed handgun.

It takes a criminal 5 minutes to illegally buy a gun and illegally carry it concealed in Maryland. It takes over (some number) of days to legally buy a gun and legally obtain a permit to carry it concealed in Maryland.

Something like either of those.

Excellent.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative

As an Illinois semi-regular, my impression of the more urban areas (particularly Champaign-Urbana, Chicagoland area, and Waukegan come to mind) is that only the police can--or are allowed--protect the sheeple.

As a counterpoint to that (in those areas) I find a potentially effective message in these ads.

For the rural areas, not so much (as they are generally aware that they are their own first line of defense).

Last edited:

randian

Jan 13, 2012
    "Fighting for your safety may be necessary. However, if you start out fighting you cancel any other options that might be open to you. Since many attacks on women are not sexually motivated, and are designed to degrade and humiliate, talking your way out of it may be easier."

They've done studies on this. Fighting your assailant is on average not worse than compliance, and is sometimes better, both in terms of injuries suffered and crime completion rates. Especially if you have a firearm. This is so even if the assailant is armed. The odds say: fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom