• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dec 31, 2012
    Finally found and bought a stainless steel Ruger Blackhawk convertible in 357mag/9mm.

I shot it tonight and it was very nice.

I can shoot this single action quite quickly with heavy load 357's (800ft/lbs+).
    9mm is smooth as silk.

This is going to be my range toy and 38/357/9 reload tester.

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    Great pickup - love the Ruger revolvers.

I have Vaquero 357 stainless, RUGER SUPER SINGLE NINE 6.5" STAINLESS 22MAG and Blackhawk 45lc/45acp convertible 5.5".

Last edited:
    Dec 31, 2012
    quick snap
    edit: sorry a bit fuzzy

Attachments

• quick pic.jpg
      quick pic.jpg
      46.1 KB · Views: 160
    Last edited:

thai

May 8, 2013
    There isn't much to not like about Rugers. I have always wanted a single action from them. If there SP101, GP,Redhawk, and Super Redhawk is of any indication of their quality the Vaqueros and Blackhawks should be very decent revolvers indeed.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , Blackhawks are fine revolvers , the .357/ 9mm convertable is a useful flavor. Depending on the throat dimentions of the individual 9mm cylnder they tend to be quite accurate with factory jacketed OR cast bullet handloads , but not both.

But in passing 800ftLb from a 4.675in B'Hawk is smoking , even for a "Ruger Only " handload. Whipped out my cell phone calculator function and that would be 1500fps + with a 158 . Did you chrono this from the actual revolver ? If so give us some low down on your load. I wouldn't publish a charge wt that heavy on a public forum , but at least the bullet and the powder.

Dec 31, 2012
    Yes , Blackhawks are fine revolvers , the .357/ 9mm convertable is a useful flavor. Depending on the throat dimentions of the individual 9mm cylnder they tend to be quite accurate with factory jacketed OR cast bullet handloads , but not both.

But in passing 800ftLb from a 4.675in B'Hawk is smoking , even for a "Ruger Only " handload. Whipped out my cell phone calculator function and that would be 1500fps + with a 158 . Did you chrono this from the actual revolver ? If so give us some low down on your load. I wouldn't publish a charge wt that heavy on a public forum , but at least the bullet and the powder.

Those numbers are from commercial ammo. Sorry no chrono this time but in the future I want to definitely get some numbers for this specific gun. Especially since it will be my handload tester.
    Armscor 158 fmj at 1545 fps from Midway when I was looking for available beefy loads. Available being the keyword at that time! I'm seeing affordable Buffalo Bore reappearing with regular frequency now.

A google search gives me:
    commercial numbers from a 10" barrel
    http://www.armscor.com.ph/cfp_357magnum.htm
    also saw a few reports from people who chrono'd and they are giving numbers in the 1300 fps range from 4" and under.

They felt about the same as a Fiochii 142grain from my SP101 4.2" which is a significantly lighter revolver so I suspect they have a good bang from the Blackhawk. Chrono work in the future.
    The Armscor rounds might be good performers in a carbine. That remains on my long term wishlist.

I'm hoping my throats are good to go for the 9mm handloads. Worse case would be I need to find a source of bulk plated 9mm to load for target in both revolver and semi.

Dec 31, 2012
    Nice. I don't think I've seen a convertible in stainless before.

It took some searching to find it. Ruger only runs a limited amount every couple of years and they only go through one distributor.
    I was looking for the 6.5" barrel but no luck there. I found a guy in Georgia who has a good line on them in all sizes but he said the 6.5" are harder to get even for him. There is no ETA for the 6.5" so I went with the 4.6".

Dec 31, 2012
    I've been looking for one of those too, care to pass along the dealer?

Here's my search thread
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=122007&highlight=blackhawk+convertible

Here's where I found it. I got one for $599.00

I've been in touch with the auctioner of the 4.7" stainless and it turns out he has some good connections.
    He has a dozen of the 357/9 stainless convertibles ready to ship.
    Running around $650.00 (auction prices have been 650-750)

Also Bisley 45/45acp in stock.

We had a nice conversation and he said his phone is always busy with calls from all over the country.
    Ring him up and he'll find what you want or get it.

Sandy Smallwood

Smallwood Firearms
    72 Appaloosa Way, Sharpsburg, GA 30277
    (770) 253-9752

Dec 31, 2012
    Very nice. Yep, 6.5" stainless is darned near impossible to find unless you get really lucky.

There was another dealer, the ONLY dealer, who had the 6.5" but was selling them as a consecutive number pair for almost $2k. He did not want to split them. Even split they would still be too much $$.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Yup the convertables are alot fun and versitle! You made the right choice choosing the Blackhawk over the New Model Vaquero which are not as strong!

If you want some thumper rounds to fire through your Blackhawk, look at Buffalo Bore ammo, if you are going with factory loaded ammo.

If your loading your own cast lead rounds, in 357 Magnum, that are on the heavy side, make sure you use a gas check if its called for, and only use published data, that is deemed safe for Rugers. Dont try to push the rounds more than what is posted in load books/data.

I bought a Blackhawk convertable in 45 colt/45 acp, back in Spring, and have been having alot of fun with it. Ive loaded some pretty hard hitting 45colt rounds, and that gun handles it without issue!

This my convertable Blackhawk:

Attachments

• MNR001.jpg
      MNR001.jpg
      42.9 KB · Views: 80
    Dec 31, 2012
    very nice

I've been browsing Buffalo Bore.

I plan to test reloads for other guns in this one first.
    I'm not going beyond recommendations for the others but would like to test them in a tank tough revolver before proceeding. Particularly before putting my wife behind reloaded ammunition.

I may push the Blackhawk a bit just for the fun of it.
    It is one hell of a chunk of steel.

I have at least two guns that will far outlast me between this and my single six stainless convertible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom