• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What should JoeSmokie do for his first FFL03 purchase?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

JoeSmokie

Jul 27, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Got my FFL03 license in the mail today! Unfortunately there is no money burning a hole in my pocket at this very moment. :sad20:

I've gone through the sticky's, done some searches, looked over the listed websites, tried to access the links (quite a few of them are dead links) and am having some difficulty finding something I like. Right how I'd like to stick to pistols since I have no way to hide rifles from the missus (need a shed out back). I only know of one Pawn Shop in Mid Montgomery County (off or 355) and they don't carry any pistols.

What would be a good "Relic" pistol to start with?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    JoeSmokie,

First C&R lesson is there is no such thing as "hiding stuff from the missus". When you have a "bunch of C&R toys", "one more" simply blends in unnoticed... Just make sure (at first) you intercept the BBTOH packages that arrive with your name on them... ;)

Second C&R lesson is "a shed out back" is not a place you want to store your treasured C&R acquisitions. They are investments. Get a BIG safe. You will soon outgrow it.

Surely you can sell the missus on the need for safety and security. Right? ...If not, someone will soon be paging K31 for his advice on a solution to that... :innocent0

You said you've done due diligence on the threads here. Then you should already have an idea of what type of C&R toy you'd most want as your first acquisition, There are SO MANY to chose from.

Congrats on getting your FFL-03. Enjoy your next three years of being a C&R Licensee.

:thumbsup:

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    No one can tell you what you should buy. We don't know your budget or reasons for getting a C&R in the first place. If you want a shooter, you can get a Chinese SKS rifle for about $300 or a Romanian Tokarev pistol for about $200.

If you want a really nice collectible gun you can drop several thousand (to tens of thousands) of dollars.

Read the "In Stock Now" and "Just Got It Now" threads. Start at the end for the latest goodies and decide what kind of guns you really want. Also, go to gun shows out of state with your C&R license. You never know what you will stumble upon that you didn't know you really needed.

Have fun and relax. You have 3 years to decide whether to renew or not. :)

JoeSmokie

Jul 27, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Great suggestions (even from the guys calling me a newb, ;)).

I know I didn't provide a lot of detail about what I'm looking for but I still got some good ideas. My purchase will definitely be something that I will shoot with and maybe even teach the missus with it as well.

No thousand dollar investment (yet) but who knows where this can lead!

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Since you mentioned that money isn't growing on trees for you, here are some affordable options that I highly recommend.

"Must have" Pistols: (IMO, of course)
    My favorite: CZ-82 (200 for a not-so pretty one, but mechanically excellent)

Tokarev (Romanians are well built and usually the cheapest) 220-230

P-64 (well made, great shooters, just not a whole lot of fun for extended range sessions) 250

Walther P-1 (getting up there in price these days...) 350+

"Must have" affordable rifles

I think a Swiss should be #1 on your list. IMO they are extremely well made, and worth much more than their sticker price at the moment. They are not going to be around forever at these prices. I suggest a K11, K31, or a 1911, in that order. 350 or so

Second, I suggest a SouthernOhioGun Chinese SKS, pay hand select. Awesome. 320 shipped or so

A 91/30 or M44 Mosin 120 to 180 for a 91/30, 200 to 250 for a nice M44

Yugo M48 or M24/47 8mm Mauser 200 for a decent one, 250 should get you a real nice one

Yugo or Russian Capture K98 Yugo: 220 to 250 Russian: 350 to 400

Steyr M95/34 (prices going up, not a common caliber, but fun!) 150 or so

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Since you mentioned that money isn't growing on trees for you, here are some affordable options that I highly recommend.

P-64 (well made, great shooters, just not a whole lot of fun for extended range sessions) 250

Of the pistols, between at least the P64 and CZ-82, if the wife is going to use it, get the CZ-82. The recoil is less sharp, and the double action trigger is lighter.

I agree with DA, that the P64 is a sexy gun, but the CZ-82 is easier on the less experienced shooters. The P64, in excellent condition, is much easier to find at sub-$300 price these days. The CZ-82 is sporadically available in that price range, and often just in good condition.

Jul 1, 2012
    I only know of one Pawn Shop in Mid Montgomery County (off or 355) and they don't carry any pistols.

What would be a good "Relic" pistol to start with?

Just remember your FFL-03 means nothing for handgun purchases within MD...:sad20:

(by that I mean you can't use it to purchase a C&R handgun from someone within MD - has to be bought from out-of-state and "imported" to MD).

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Given what happens when you add dollars and an 03FFL, I opted for pistols. They take up a lot less room, so you don't have to waste gun money on more safes.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Of the pistols, between at least the P64 and CZ-82, if the wife is going to use it, get the CZ-82. The recoil is less sharp, and the double action trigger is lighter.

I agree with DA, that the P64 is a sexy gun, but the CZ-82 is easier on the less experienced shooters. The P64, in excellent condition, is much easier to find at sub-$300 price these days. The CZ-82 is sporadically available in that price range, and often just in good condition.

Unfortunately the condition of CZ-82s gets ugly pretty quick due to that crappy finish that flakes off. I've seen ones that would be absolutely perfect, but the stupid import mark started a bad case of the flakes and ruined it.

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    You need a Mosin Nagant 91/30. You might as well get the sickness early. I bought my first Mosin in 2012. I now own 7. It's a sickness I tell you. A sickness!

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    JoeSmokie,

First C&R lesson is there is no such thing as "hiding stuff from the missus". When you have a "bunch of C&R toys", "one more" simply blends in unnoticed... Just make sure (at first) you intercept the BBTOH packages that arrive with your name on them... ;)

Second C&R lesson is "a shed out back" is not a place you want to store your treasured C&R acquisitions. They are investments. Get a BIG safe. You will soon outgrow it.

Surely you can sell the missus on the need for safety and security. Right? ...If not, someone will soon be paging K31 for his advice on a solution to that... :innocent0

You said you've done due diligence on the threads here. Then you should already have an idea of what type of C&R toy you'd most want as your first acquisition, There are SO MANY to chose from.

Congrats on getting your FFL-03. Enjoy your next three years of being a C&R Licensee.

:thumbsup:

"Must have" affordable rifles

I think a Swiss should be #1 on your list. IMO they are extremely well made, and worth much more than their sticker price at the moment. They are not going to be around forever at these prices. I suggest a K11, K31, or a 1911, in that order. 350 or so

Second, I suggest a SouthernOhioGun Chinese SKS, pay hand select. Awesome. 320 shipped or so

A 91/30 or M44 Mosin 120 to 180 for a 91/30, 200 to 250 for a nice M44

Yugo M48 or M24/47 8mm Mauser 200 for a decent one, 250 should get you a real nice one

Yugo or Russian Capture K98 Yugo: 220 to 250 Russian: 350 to 400

Steyr M95/34 (prices going up, not a common caliber, but fun!) 150 or so

You need a Mosin Nagant 91/30. You might as well get the sickness early. I bought my first Mosin in 2012. I now own 7. It's a sickness I tell you. A sickness!

You guys are laying out rules like it's fight club or something....

Rule number 1, Intercept all packages :party29:

Rule number 2, Buy a safe :thumbsup:

Rule number 3, sell the wife is she gets in the way.... :lol2:

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    You guys are laying out rules like it's fight club or something....

Rule number 1, Intercept all packages :party29:

Rule number 2, Buy a safe :thumbsup:

Rule number 3, sell the wife is she gets in the way.... :lol2:

"a" safe.

LnX7zjr.jpg

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Buy what you are interested in. Not what other people think you should buy.

Also, watch the auction sites like Gunbroker for items you are interested in. This is where a C&R really shows its worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom