Imagine an HOA so pathetic, the members want to violate rights inside private homes (no guns)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Why is the hell would an HOA want everyone to leave their garage doors open during the day? I can’t even think of one plausible reason for everyone to do so…
    So Karen can see if you have a gas-powered leaf blower in there while she's making rounds.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    Apparently it was to crack down on illegal residency.

Absolutely nuts. Not surprised in CA. But it's beyond ridiculous to assume your garage doesn't have items of value or danger in it. And who's liable when some kid gets into toxic chemicals or hurts themselves with a tool or saw etc. they decide to check out? Not only idiots, but helpless idiots who don't work with their hands and actually do something in their garages. To me, the same as leaving the front door wide open. No way!

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I think that system where you can give Amazon, UPS, etc a one-time code to open a garage door is stupid. Leaving it open all day is a whole different level of stupid I cannot understand.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    I don't think this would fly in any way shape or form. In addition I don't know how the HOA could get away with it for people already living there w/firearms. They can't just change the rules like that which upend people's lives.
    Why not the government seems to think they can?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I know I'm in a minority here, but HOAs do serve a need, especially in my neighborhood.

I'll start by saying our HOA dues are very reasonable. Almost not high enough, but whatever. If it wasn't for them, my 'hood would turn into a complete shitwhole within a year. It's still bad, but it could get a lot worse. It's amazing to me how your average schmoe doesn't give a crap how his house and yard looks. Most of the worst offenders come from other countries where cleanliness and tidiness are not so much of a factor in everyday life, shall we say. Still, my HOA is not nearly as strong as it should be.

Houses here are going for $430K-$490K. I know I could easily get a half mil for my house in the right market.

D&Ds

Aug 16, 2022
    Indian Head
    Y'all's HOAs are small-time stuff.

Here in lovely Takoma Park, we have no HOA. What we have is our own little legislature, who take it on themselves to write the rules we all must live by. Grass too high? Ivy growing bushy on your pillars? Don't want that tree in your yard?

We have a squad of investigators who go around checking on us,).

The Approved People's Republic, in word and in deed. Coming to a Socially Thoughtful Commune near you. Sooner than you think.
    Small envelopes of cash or weed wouldn’t get you off the commune’s radar? :rolleyes:

D&Ds

Aug 16, 2022
    Indian Head
    It's amazing to me how your average schmoe doesn't give a crap how his house and yard looks.
    Some people just aren’t raised with any concept of home care. The few immigrants I know lived in sheer poverty or rentals. Some are just lazy or think the repair will cost too much.
    I was asked to help a friend fix up his in-laws place. The master bath was off limits because the toilet didn’t work. $10 for a new float valve and back in business. Mom told me thank you, it’s been 10 years since we could use that toilet :eek:

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I prefer the tumult of a free neighborhood over one with oppression and higher property values.

We have no HOA. Some people have had old, non-running cars parked under shelters for years. I don't care, I'm fine with it. It's their property. I have TWO, large military vehicles in my driveway. (They both run and I exercise them regularly) Most HOA's would prohibit that. They certainly wouldn't allow me to work on them in my driveway like I do.

One man's "redneckish yard" is another person's "natural habitat." My wife is a state park ranger and an ornithologist. She plants pollinator gardens comprised of rather unruly looking, native plants. They only get trimmed back in the winter after the bugs are gone and the birds have eaten all the seeds and berries. They serve a function. They attract bees that pollinate our apple trees and veg gardens. The garden serves as a feeding and waystation for migrating pollinators.

I didn't like that my neighbor had a dead Chevelle under a dilapidated pop-up shelter for 10 years but I respected that it was his property and minded my own God. Damned. Business.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I prefer the tumult of a free neighborhood over one with oppression and higher property values.

We have no HOA. Some people have had old, non-running cars parked under shelters for years. I don't care, I'm fine with it. It's their property. I have TWO, large military vehicles in my driveway. (They both run and I exercise them regularly) Most HOA's would prohibit that. They certainly wouldn't allow me to work on them in my driveway like I do.

One man's "redneckish yard" is another person's "natural habitat." My wife is a state park ranger and an ornithologist. She plants pollinator gardens comprised of rather unruly looking, native plants. They only get trimmed back in the winter after the bugs are gone and the birds have eaten all the seeds and berries. They serve a function. They attract bees that pollinate our apple trees and veg gardens. The garden serves as a feeding and waystation for migrating pollinators.

I didn't like that my neighbor had a dead Chevelle under a dilapidated pop-up shelter for 10 years but I respected that it was his property and minded my own God. Damned. Business.
    :goodpost:

Ya, we don't have an HOA here either. Most folks keep their property in reasonable repair/presentation. There are however, a few Adam's Family homes down the street here and there. One is a real junk/hoarder type dude. I can just not imagine what the inside of his house looks like. Far enough away that I don't see it on a regular basis unless I embark on a reconnaissance deeper down the 'hood proper.

D&Ds

Aug 16, 2022
    Indian Head
    My wife is a state park ranger and an ornithologist. She plants pollinator gardens comprised of rather unruly looking, native plants. They only get trimmed back in the winter after the bugs are gone and the birds have eaten all the seeds and berries. They serve a function. They attract bees that pollinate our apple trees and veg gardens. The garden serves as a feeding and waystation for migrating pollinators.
    I have a couple small areas that would be ideal for pollinator gardens. Finding the right plants or seeds becomes the challenge. FWS’s helpful hints aren’t exactly helpful. Soil conservation office, not too helpful either. The state and fed programs are all (that I found) built around larger operations. Even the master gardener program offers little in the way of help for home gardeners.
    Oh and NO hoa. I refused to buy into that concept of oversight.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I know I'm in a minority here, but HOAs do serve a need, especially in my neighborhood.

I'll start by saying our HOA dues are very reasonable. Almost not high enough, but whatever. If it wasn't for them, my 'hood would turn into a complete shitwhole within a year. It's still bad, but it could get a lot worse. It's amazing to me how your average schmoe doesn't give a crap how his house and yard looks. Most of the worst offenders come from other countries where cleanliness and tidiness are not so much of a factor in everyday life, shall we say. Still, my HOA is not nearly as strong as it should be.

Houses here are going for $430K-$490K. I know I could easily get a half mil for my house in the right market.

****Yup. Some people are just complete slobs, and no question they bring down property values in an otherwise nice neighborhood. HOA's exist for a reason. Good luck selling your home for what it would be worth if your neighbor has an unkempt yard, a couple of broken down cars in the driveway leaking oil and on jackstands, and newspapers covering the windows because they don't have proper shades, etc..

I have had rental properties I have sold because the HOA was not enforcing their own rules and allowed residents to get away with not using proper trash bins and just dumping their trash in bags on the sidewalk for birds to rip the bags open and make a huge mess, or park clearly broken down cars with flat tires in the street or backyard in front or side or back of the home, or not mow their lawn or trim bushes etc.. making the home look abandoned.

The people that are complete slobs don't realize they are complete slobs, hoarders, and just not good neighbors and often think people are picking on them because they are from wherever, or for whatever other reason than that they are just complete slobs, horrible neighbors, and ruin any neighborhood they happen to reside in.

Plenty of people are "live and let live types", until it comes time to sell their home, and their home is *really* nice and should sell for top dollar, but the neighbors are slobs or do not maintain their property and just bring property values down.

I get the whole mind your own business but if you live in a residential neighborhood with homes nearby and the neighborhood is in a nice area but there are a couple of really crummy looking, and poorly maintained homes - *many* people with options will take a hard pass on that neighborhood and buy somewhere else - depressing values in that hood for everyone.

There are good and bad HOA's, but there are also people that shouldn't need to be told to not be slobs, hoarders, and that not mowing or maintaining their home is NOT ok even if it is "muh house!!" - but here we are.

HOA's have to sue people to get garbage old cars, broken furniture, an unauthorized above ground pool with no fencing, etc.. because people think they should be able to do whatever they want while living close to others.

I see both sides of this.

Pics below are mostly local - one is drone footage taken by reps of the HOA to use in court.. Slobs in otherwise pretty nice neighborhoods - absolutely affects property values - negatively. People are, or were living in all of the homes below at the time the pics were taken. HOA violators, some with 100's of violations and they didn't give a crap about fixing *any* of it until legal action had to be taken, and it took years and made a LOT of people in the neighborhood very angry at them, especially those trying to sell their *nice* and well maintained homes just a couple of doors down.

Ridiculous.

howard1.jpg

hoawrad.jpg

slobs.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-16 103403.png

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    ****Yup. Some people are just complete slobs, and no question they bring down property values in an otherwise nice neighborhood. HOA's exist for a reason. Good luck selling your home for what it would be worth if your neighbor has an unkempt yard, a couple of broken down cars in the driveway leaking oil and on jackstands, and newspapers covering the windows because they don't have proper shades, etc..

I have had rental properties I have sold because the HOA was not enforcing their own rules and allowed residents to get away with not using proper trash bins and just dumping their trash in bags on the sidewalk for birds to rip the bags open and make a huge mess, or park clearly broken down cars with flat tires in the street or backyard in front or side or back of the home, or not mow their lawn or trim bushes etc.. making the home look abandoned.

The people that are complete slobs don't realize they are complete slobs, hoarders, and just not good neighbors and often think people are picking on them because they are from wherever, or for whatever other reason than that they are just complete slobs, horrible neighbors, and ruin any neighborhood they happen to reside in.

Plenty of people are "live and let live types", until it comes time to sell their home, and their home is *really* nice and should sell for top dollar, but the neighbors are slobs or do not maintain their property and just bring property values down.

I get the whole mind your own business but if you live in a residential neighborhood with homes nearby and the neighborhood is in a nice area but there are a couple of really crummy looking, and poorly maintained homes - *many* people with options will take a hard pass on that neighborhood and buy somewhere else - depressing values in that hood for everyone.

There are good and bad HOA's, but there are also people that shouldn't need to be told to not be slobs, hoarders, and that not mowing or maintaining their home is NOT ok even if it is "muh house!!" - but here we are.

HOA's have to sue people to get garbage old cars, broken furniture, an unauthorized above ground pool with no fencing, etc.. because people think they should be able to do whatever they want while living close to others.

Pics below are mostly local - one is drone footage taken by reps of the HOA to use in court.. Slobs in otherwise pretty nice neighborhoods - absolutely affects property values - negatively. People are, or were living in all of the homes below at the time the pics were taken. HOA violators, some with 100's of violations and they didn't give a crap about fixing *any* of it until legal action had to be taken, and it took years and made a LOT of people in the neighborhood very angry at them, especially those trying to sell their *nice* and well maintained homes just a couple of doors down.

Ridiculous.

View attachment 436065
    View attachment 436066

View attachment 436067 View attachment 436070
    I'm not sure I see the problem. Letting nature flourish and keeping stuff out of the landfill should be everyone's goal. :D

D&Ds

Aug 16, 2022
    Indian Head

Ridiculous.
    Wonder how often the HOA or neighbors actually talk to these people and offer to help them clean up vs. telling them to ? On our rentals we factor in the cost of lawn, landscaping and trash removal to ensure it gets maintained and try and keep our property in reasonable care. We have a clause about “abandoned” vehicles. We actually talk to our renters and try to be helpful yet firm in our commitment. Have one client who is forgetful and if I don’t stop by to get a check it won’t get mailed. Never have a problem getting a check, if I remember to stop by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom