• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Of course one of the biggest problems with major improvements is ignorantP'sOS vandalizing anything decent. When the cable to hold up the tarp was put up some POS felt the need to shoot it apart. It is a shame that ricochets did'nt remove them from the gene pool but then the range would probably be shut down.

Nate-X

Jul 20, 2010
    Hollywood, Maryland
    Just signed it..

If we can find enough people who care about a roof, we might be able to make a change, the process was started last year and we're steaming slowly ahead. If more people would step up and take charge of their issues instead of dreaming about change, make a difference and sign the petition:

Myrtle Grove Roof Over The Range Petition

We can get everything we want, we just have open our mouths and let the right people know we want it...

jac43k

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Taneytown, MD
    Ther may/may not have been an idea to have a MD shooters volunteer clean up at MG over the summer. :innocent0

I cant remember if it happened or not, but I think the idea was frowned upon my "the management."

Yes did see that, wife and I on vaction, wife comes first :)if I still want to buy more guns:)

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    From my understanding, they would not even accept the money. I think l1x1 has talked to Dan about it before and the managment(not Dan) doesnt like that idea. He can comment better than I can about it, but I dont think it can happen.

First off Dan, if we're talking about Dan Eversberg, is just an employee of the state, his word is little regarding what is and what is not done, he only provides some upholding of the range / property rules. I have been in contact with John Griffin directly and David Heilmeier on the debates and politics of the range roof / upgrades.

So far from the start of pushing the issue with DNR, we have gone from "no it ain't never gonna happen" to "Itinerary for the 2011 Budget" with paperwork already filed with the engineering department, so, speaking up and pushing issue DOES work, when you can get people to walk instead of talk.

I just got an update reply from Mr. Heilmeier about a month ago regarding the roof project, we are all stuck in the political mud on the matter until the first of the year 2011, but, those who have signed the petition have made a difference, at least a move in the right direction I would hope.

"From my understanding, they would not even accept the money."

Now as far as DNR accepting financial support from a "group", I don't where you got your understanding, but, I have in writing here on file somewhere that the idea of the venture was acceptable and possibly having the state match contributions for the project from a private group. So, with that said, we have options, but, they need to be further explored for details regarding fundraising ventures.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Here is the email I received from John Griffin regarding the matter of private group investments in the project to back up my claim regarding a fund raising event as suggested by Spott77:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From: Land Resources Mail <LandResources@dnr.state.md.us>
    spacer.gif
    To: "'smst@somd.net'" <smst@somd.net>
    spacer.gif
    Cc: "Heilmeier, David" <dheilmeier@dnr.state.md.us>
    spacer.gif
    Subject: Myrtle Grove Shooting Range (12248)
    spacer.gif
    Date: Wed 03/17/10 03:35 PM

Dear Mr. Owens:

Thank you for your email to Governor Martin O’Malley regarding the shooting range at Myrtle Grove Wildlife Management Area. The Governor has reviewed your letter and asked me to respond on his behalf.

There is currently a proposal submitted to the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Engineering and Construction Division to construct a roof over the shooting bench area as well as the rebuilding of all of the shooting benches for the Myrtle Grove Range. The project is being considered for possible implementation in Fiscal Year 2011. However, with the State’s and the Department of Natural Resources’ current budget situation, there is unfortunately a very real possibility that this project could be postponed.

If you and your organization can secure funding, DNR could expedite the implementation of this project. Please keep in mind that any changes to the range have to meet the National Rifle Association’s specifications, and a roof over the shooting benches will have to meet engineering safety standards and guidelines, so this is not a project that can be done by the DNR staff. It must be engineered by the DNR Engineering and Construction Division and the work must be bid out and completed by a qualified contractor.

Thank you again for your email. The Governor appreciates hearing from you and on his behalf, I also thank you for your interest in this important issue. If I may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at 410-260-8100. If you are interested in an approximate cost estimate for this project or have any other questions or concerns about the Myrtle Grove Shooting Range, please contact the Department of Natural Resources Southern Region Manager David Heilmeier at 410-535-0282 or email dheilmeirer@dnr.state.md.us. He will be happy to discuss the matter with you.

Sincerely,
    John R. Griffin
    Secretary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    im sure we could raise some funds, a roof is a pretty simple project shouldnt cost all that much, though the government does have its way of making things cost more than they need to.

hell, my brothers and i could build it in a weekend or two probably.

we really do need a range expansion though, at this point i rarely shoot rifles because MG is the closest place, but its just too crowded on weekend, any time we go we just end up shooting skeet rather than wait around for a table.

it is pretty ridiculous that for an area of this size, and all the money we put bring in through taxes on guns and sporting goods that we have a range that if you follow the rules can only accomodate 7 people per hour.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    As long as we can keep those un-clean blackpowder shooters from shooting under any covered position I'm fine with it.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I think if Myrtle Grove gets a new roof and nothing more, it would get even more crowded on weekends. I think it's time to just tear the whole thing down and start over with a much bigger hole! Or leave it alone and use the money to build a brand new range somewhere else in Southern Maryland(like in Calvert County).
    I can dream, can't I?

rifelman

Aug 7, 2008
    Calvert County
    I was told that a long time ago, there were 2 ranges there. I've only been going down there for a little less than 20 years. I thought that I passed the first pit on the way in. I assumed that they were dug years ago for the gravel by Chaney or one of the other concrete companies that made the holes all over So MD. Anybody know for sure?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I was told that a long time ago, there were 2 ranges there. I've only been going down there for a little less than 20 years. I thought that I passed the first pit on the way in. I assumed that they were dug years ago for the gravel by Chaney or one of the other concrete companies that made the holes all over So MD. Anybody know for sure?

I have been there for 30+ years and there's never been a second shooting range. Someone mentioned that Myrtle Grove was only 22 years old and I can assure it's been there longer than that, way longer.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Myrtle Grove

Originally Posted by BlueHeeler
    As long as we are in dreamland, it looks like just to the south the land has mostly been cleared for something else.

LOL No Ding Dong... I was wondering why you posted the picture of MG when you said Dreamland... and you post a picture of MG ? What's wrong wit yous:lol2:

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Originally Posted by BlueHeeler
    As long as we are in dreamland, it looks like just to the south the land has mostly been cleared for something else.

LOL No Ding Dong... I was wondering why you posted the picture of MG when you said Dreamland... and you post a picture of MG ? What's wrong wit yous:lol2:

I am retarded.:D :rolleyes:

Let me be more clear. If you look to the top of the photo (which is actually south) that land looks to be relatively clear. Remove some trees and excavate the land and that would almost double the width of the range. I have no idea about the how much excavation, baffles, etc would cost, but in dreamland, that space looks ready to go.:thumbsup:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I am retarded.:D :rolleyes:

Let me be more clear. If you look to the top of the photo (which is actually south) that land looks to be relatively clear. Remove some trees and excavate the land and that would almost double the width of the range. I have no idea about the how much excavation, baffles, etc would cost, but in dreamland, that space looks ready to go.:thumbsup:

I agree, sell the fill to a local aggregate company and let them haul the dirt out of there. Then all we have to do throw a fund raiser and buy some baffles at Lowe's and rock on. I don't know why the state has to make everything so complicated. Like Chaunsey said, we'd have the place ready to go in a weekend, I know plenty of good ol' boys who can throw one hell of a barn raisin' party, we could be shootin' by Monday if we started on Saturday morning LOL

OK, I'm going hunting, be back later.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    Dan said the reason the tent roof was taken down was because the higher-ups said it did not meet the spec, probably the NRA spec mentioned in the letters SOMDSHOOT posted. There are regulations that the WMA ranges are required to follow, and that is apparently one of them.

I can see why some people would want a roof; personally I think it would increase the noise under it, block the breeze in the summer, and you wouldn't be able to see the benches from the top of the ramp, which really isn't a huge concern. I'd much rather have another hole dug to shoot in. I didn't know there was already a website/petition for the roof project. That's a nice bit of work on SOMDShoot's part, and seems to be getting a positive response, aside from the fact that DNR claims it has no money.

Someone pointed out that the range serves an area with millions of shooters, and with all the guns being bought by that population, there is a ton of Pittman Robertson money being collected. I can't think of any other place in the area that the money is being spent, unless the State Police are using it for their fired casing program. The NRA is usually pretty good about looking into PR Act money, I wonder if contacting them and asking them to check on where the cash is going might get results? I could post a query in the current affairs section of this site and get a wider point of view on it.

If there is still not enough money, maybe we could get DNR to give us a price estimate on digging a new range and baffles, and we could start a fund towards that project if it seems like an attainable amount. They mentioned that we could expedite building a roof if we supplied the money, did they ever offer an estimate for that? I'd contribute to the roof project if it seems more feasible than a new range and if it seems like a majority prefer that project.

In any case, I think we should post this website down at the range to let people know there is a place to read up on Myrtle Grove and post questions and concerns.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I can tell where the dnr / states money goes in 4 words:

Crabs Oysters Chesapeake Bay

Why, because there was a lot of people who spoke up for changes they wanted.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    Yeah, no doubt a lot of the state's money goes there. But legally they can't use the tax on guns for fishing; it is strictly for recreational shooting and hunting. That's what makes me think it might be going somewhere else and we might be able to get it redirected to MG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom