In light of Miller's statement, what are your latest letters??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Just finished writing mine... sending shortly.

As you are aware, the bills being introduced in both the Maryland Senate and House of Delegates which are designed to infringe on the Second Amendment Rights of Marylanders are being hotly contested in the public arena, and through a massive contact campaign. I have personally spoken with a number of you, and have been told that this is overwhelming... and to keep it up!

Most notable, is the wide-ranging monstrosity that is SB281/HB294. The language of this bill is draconian on its face, but in digging deep into it with the assistance of several people well-versed in policy and law, we see that it attempts, eventually, to completely restrict not only gun ownership, but also usage, transport, and transfer. This effectively creates a completely new Criminal Class... The "Law-Abiding Citizen." I can find no provision of this bill that is beneficial to our Rights, and several aspects of the bill appear to be patently Unconstitutional.

I am particularly amazed at the steep fees and obstacles that are placed in the way of anyone wishing to maintain their personal collection of what would become "banned" firearms (including some that are currently not even considered "Regulated"). Additionally, the fees asssociated with the "Handgun Qualification License" are downright prohibitive, especially to those in less safe areas who may feel they need protection more than others, yet are least able to afford the exorbitant burden foisted on them.

There is also the matter of how poorly defined the terms and processes are, but I won't relate them here. In fact, the entire bill is a mish-mash of feel-good, knee-jerk "do something", based on what we already know are failed policies of the 1994 Federal "Assault Weapons Ban", and miserably inconsistent California law, all wrapped up in the emotion of recent events. To paraphrase United States Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA) from today, this is not the time to be throwing in every policy idea from the past couple of decades, just because of a handful of tragic events.

Several other bills will require the same treatment this one is receiving, and I can promise you that they will. SB266 and HB383 unnecessarily burden lawful dealers, and set up the State Police to become an armed policy enforcer. HB107 will restrict the capability of anyone attempting to repel a threat in their own home by limiting the ammunition available to them (please note that criminals have no such restriction).

I am sure there will be others as we go, but rest assured that Marylanders will be reviewing each and every one, and keeping the General Assembly accountable for protecting our Rights, as enumerated and guaranteed in the United States Constitution, as well as that of Maryland.

I am a life-long Marylander, father of two (one of whom served 7 years in the Navy), and grandfather of two delightful children (with another on the way). My wife is a teacher, and feels as I do on the importance of our right to self-protection. Our family is worth the ability--no, the obligation--to provide what protection we can.

I am currently licensed to carry a concealed firearm in more than 30 states. I do so wherever legal and appropriate. I am a believer in safety and proper training. I vote. And, as of this afternoon, I am a registered Democrat.

I thank you for your considered and educated attention to the needs of your constituents, all across the state.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Still working on mine, any comments? TIA
    I am writing concerning SB281. I am opposed and hope that you will oppose this and any other bill that requires registration, licensing or permits for what are now perfectly legal firearms as well as any penalties for someone not complying with the proposed registration. Criminals have not and will not comply with current or proposed laws. Please work on a solution that will prevent criminals from using illegal firearms. A suggestion would be a mandatory penalty for “possession” of a firearm while committing a crime. A drug dealer may not use a firearm while dealing drugs, but the possession of a firearm should be a mandatory sentence that is not able to be changed to a lesser offense or plea bargained away.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I called his office last night on the way home. Talked to his (chief of staff????) and made my statements, basically saying "I have good word that the President is against the licensing in SB281, but this is a bad bill all the way. It does not address school safety, MD has pretty harsh gun laws currently, and this will just hurt lawful people more, blah blah blah"

Lady had to put me on hold, came back to me and said "Sorry I'm just one person, we've been getting a lot of calls on that bill like yours."

KEEP PRESSING!

The thing is, that these people are getting a ton of time wasted on this bill.

We will need to do a full court press next week on that bill, and we should start to do the same on SB445 (or whatever Frosh and Turd Ferguson's Carry bill is too).

We shouldn't let them come up for air.

Spatha

Sep 17, 2011
    AA County
    I am still playing with this one. Plan on sending it out after lunch.

All Concerned,
    I am a retired member of the United States Military, a currently serving Corrections Officer, and your constituent. I strongly urge you to oppose any legislation to further regulate or ban pistols, modern sporting rifles, and standard capacity ammunition magazines. Namely SB281/HB294.

The proposals in these poorly drafted bills will not prevent crime, but they will accomplish the following:

- Place currently deployed soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen that legally posses modern sporting rifles in violation of the law. They will have no ability to register/re-register their legally owned and stored property within the 30 day time limit imposed in the bill.

- Criminalize multiple youth sporting and hunting programs. Persons under the age of 21 may not posses ammunition under the bills. That means no youth hunting or hunter safety classes, no Olympic target shooting sports, no supervised trap, skeet, or sporting clays.

- Removes the acknowledgement of training formerly held by retired and honorably discharged veterans of the United States military and retired police officers.

- Places expensive and onerous licensing requirements on law abiding citizens. This will potentially force low income persons into criminality as they seek means for self protection.

Rather than expanding previously failed legislation that won't curb violence, but will effect law-abiding gun owners, I urge you to support legislation to enhance school security and improve our states ailing mental health system.

I would again urge you to oppose SB281/HB294

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom